Your sound preference

What's your preferred pitch/tone in a pot call?
I like a higher pitch in the front of the yelp that rolls over in to a medium rasp. I've just never been a fan of super raspy calls. It's not because I don't think they work, it's more like.... I seem to have better luck getting responses and birds to commit using higher pitched calls.

deast1988

I got a DayBreak Ceramic. It plays like a wood super responsive. But can scream like a crystal or back it off a touch for wood touch. Raspy screamer. I was working a bird last year with a Daybreak aluminum he was acting interested. I hit him with a Clin Corder Osage crystal nothing. I hit him with ceramic he went nuts. Starting to be my go to pot call.

UGATurkey

I have always preferred the medium to soft tones from my slate calls. I like a little rasp on the back end of the note, but if I need to crank it up I can with my slate. My son seems to like the louder and sharper rasp of his crystal mistress pot call. We call entirely different but still reap the benefits. I am much more subdued and willing to wait it out and he seems to be the typical teenager at this point loud and talkative. To each his own, I can't wait until March gets here!

Last edited:

KentuckyHeadhunter

I always keep a raspy call on me but I find myself leaning more and more to cleaner notes. Most of the orders I get want the rasp. Basically I agree with the OP on the sound I like. High front end rolling into medium rasp. Not too much yawk or rollover because then it becomes a gobbler yelp.

Twiggbuster

High pitch works better for me
Raspy sounds great - to humans
High pitch seems to carry to birds that are out a ways

Blowing through an old wingbone call to get that hen clucking/kissing sound is all I've ever done. Clean, hi-pitch, gets their attention. Sounds like a female...