Rem 700 ADL trigger issue

rayjay

I just picked up an Xmark Pro adjustable and was able to dig the crud out of the adjuster screws so that the allen wrench would go down into the holes. I replaced the pull wgt spring and properly adjed the creep, pull wgt and over travel. Seems to work just fine. The actual trigger/sear arrangement is basically unchanged from the old design. It's the safety mechanism that is different.

NEWS:

I got the X-Mark Pro trigger in the mail on Saturday and put the action on the bench.
It is brand new trigger and has the pin dot on the bolt release so I know it's the newest design.

I replaced the old Weaver trigger assembly.
I put it back together and tested it.

4.5 lbs EVERY TIME I test it.

Conclusion?

The trigger assembly was the problem from the beginning.

The trigger is much crisper with zero creep or over travel.

Much better

Thanks all for the assistance.
you guys are great

Bill

P.S. Its still a bit too high in pull weight for me. Ernie the gunsmith does not show any availability of a spring on the web site.

rayjay

If this is the trigger with the second pull wgt adjuster made into the top of the finger lever then Ernie does have a spring for it.

Ok..thanks RayJay
after a call to ernies the web site now shows them as available.
I scratched the gunk out of the #1 trigger spring allen screw and rotated it counter clockwise 1 full turn.
The trigger is now breaking at 3 lbs and feels a darn sight better than my old one.
Now I await my new spring.

Thanks

Total investment
New Trigger with new light release trigger spring?
$25.00

Jester896

Senior Clown
Hey Jester.
What would that do to help other than shave 2 ounces off the weight of the assembled Rifle?

thanks

Bill

it was a response to the trigger timing issue in the benchrest article. Instead of file fitting what you have order a properly sized firing pin with a fast lock time than the original assembly. I think you can get them with steel or aluminum shrouds and I am not sure the 2 oz weight would be significant in a hunting rifle but the faster lock time might be.

rayjay

It's the length of time from when the sear is released by the trigger until the firing pin sets off the primer. For super high level 3 position / high power / palma style shooting it might make a difference but for everyone else it's totally irrelevant. The worst centerfire design in the world still has a lock time measured in mili-seconds or micro-seconds or some other abstract measure of time. I'm actually working on parts for a 700 that would reduce the firing spring pressure but increase the firing pin weight to maintain the same impact force as the original design that works great and is difficult to improve upon.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Excuse my ignorance but what is meant by "faster lock time? How is that significant?

a faster lock time means

the time it take for the firing pin to strike after the trigger is pulled. Pacific Tool & Gauge (PTG) might pay more attention to machining than the factory did.

How is it significant?
it may not be in a hunting situation. it maybe in precision type shooting or somewhere in between

I got the spring from Ernie this morning.
I replaced the #1 spring as directed.
This is wonderful.
3 pounds, no creep, no overtravel EVERY TIME !!!!

Thanks all for your assistance.

I know this is not a Jewel trigger but compared to the one I shot with for years. This is SWEET.

rayjay

If you don't need a Bench Rest [ 1.5 oz ] trigger pull then I've never seen any reason to use anything but a factory 700 trigger.

ETA, with a new pull wgt spring !!!