mud motor advice

poole93

Have a 15 ft riveted aluminum boat and thinking about putting a mudmotor on it? Any helpful advice on brand, hp, etc?

across the river

Have a 15 ft riveted aluminum boat and thinking about putting a mudmotor on it? Any helpful advice on brand, hp, etc?

My advice would be don't put a mud motor on a riveted john boat. It is kind of like putting mud tires on a 2 wd truck. From a functionality standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense.

DRBugman85

I got a friend who has a 1448 Lowe riveted Jon boat with a 18 hp mud buddy longtail,it works but its SLOW.He saving to buy a mud boat hull and Surface drive because the bottom of the Lowe boat has HOOKS in the bottom after 2 duck seasons, but it works for the time being.

GSURugger

Advice: Don't.

You'll hook that thin aluminium, rattle most of the rivets out, and overall it'll run like a smoked CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored.

BigSwole

I've had a 22hp longtail on a riveted Jon and this is the 6th year of heavy use and abuse it has had. Is it pretty, no. Does it leak, no. Is it hooked, yes...looks like waves on the bottom.

I've hit more stumps and log jams than you would think would be possible. I was told it would leak and not to use it, but it hasn't let me down yet.

Actually I think the lighter aluminum allows it to dent away from the impact. So if you can't afford a true mud hull, but want something to get you where you need to go Def consider it.

little rascal

HorsePuckey!!!

Yes you can run a longtail on a 15ft. aluminum. I ran a 16 h.p. Vanguard on a 14 ft. 1970 sears aluminum (basically sheet metal) riveted for years before I got a mudboat and mudmotor. It don't leak, never has, still have it today with a 9.9 outboard, you know why? Put a floor in it over the ribs and quit walking you overweight self on the bottom pulling against the rivets. These expert rocket science mudmotor pros on here don't know jack. Welded boats will crack, too stiff. Riveted boats will flex and give some. Just don't walk on the bottoms under the ribs, use plywood or planks above the ribs. Ask'em what they were in before they went mudboat! Yes you'll have hooks, any production light jon will. But, unless you have a tinfoil boat you'll be fine.:cool:

DRBugman85

Yes you can run a longtail on a 15ft. aluminum. I ran a 16 h.p. Vanguard on a 14 ft. 1970 sears aluminum (basically sheet metal) riveted for years before I got a mudboat and mudmotor. It don't leak, never has, still have it today with a 9.9 outboard, you know why? Put a floor in it over the ribs and quit walking you overweight self on the bottom pulling against the rivets. These expert rocket science mudmotor pros on here don't know jack. Welded boats will crack, too stiff. Riveted boats will flex and give some. Just don't walk on the bottoms under the ribs, use plywood or planks above the ribs. Ask'em what they were in before they went mudboat! Yes you'll have hooks, any production light jon will. But, unless you have a tinfoil boat you'll be fine.:cool:
COOKIE HAS SPOKEN, Now go buy a mudboat and don't worry about the bottom coming apart are the hooks that hurts performance in the mud are stumps. :deadhorse:

Drew dumas

I run a mud buddy mini (23hp) on a 1648 weldbilt. It runs about 20mph loaded down, and it'll get shallow. I love it. Throw a couple of coats of gator glide on the hull and realize that you'll probably have to fix a few rivets every season.