What did lightning do to my well?

WayneB

Many Lowe's carry submersible pumps, and casings.
It ain't rocket surgury, just a lot of pipe with about 30 lbs hanging off the end.
I've replaced my 160ft pump solo, but it's easier with a couple extra bodies.
You can replace with schedule 40 pipe, 1" PEX or repair the section split by the strike.
May sound complicated; it's really all grunt work till the wiring:

At top of casing should be a metal two piece object that clamps onto the pump pipe, and a grommet that the wiring runs through.
Remove all pipe fittings outside the clamp, leaving a section of pipe above the clamp, or just cut loose the pipe from the rest of the system if it's plumbed in close.
Disconnect wiring going into grommet, do NOT remove from clamp.

Once everything is disconnected from outside clamp, pull and twist to unseat the clamp from the casing.

Commence hand over hand lifting until pump clears casing. (this is where many hands helps, the pipe will go straight up for awhile, then bend under it's own weight and contact the ground. Helpers will help guide it and make it easier on ya.)

Once removed, lay the whole thing out where you can eyeball the pipe and look for cracks or fractures and repair or replace as necessary.

The pump has a female thread socket to accept the pipe, and wiring coming from the pump to the pressure switch. Typically there is a waterproof splice made within 3 ft of pump.

Once you feel you have a viable pipe assembly, have threaded the new pump on and made connections, drop that rascal back in da hole.

I use a nylon or poly rope if I don't have 8 or more hours to spare for glue to cure to take the weight of the pump off the pipe. (Rope can stay in the hole, it's inert and won't have any affect on taste or quality of water.)

Reset the clamp, connect the wiring to the new switch, and re-connect the pipe to your pressure tank.
Wait appropriate time for glue to cure and power up.

Wycliff

If you are going to pull the well yourself I'd recommend a coulpe pairs of vise grips to Clamp on the pipe. Do this so you can take breaks pulling and also if your hands slip it doesn't fall to the bottom

Capt Quirk

@Wayneb- I have talked to at least a dozen well people, and all of the have assured me that it can't be done. I knew they were just after more money to drill another well! Thanks for that, I'll start taking it apart over the next few days and see if I can do it. On the bright side, I really can't screw it up, now can I?

WayneB

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-0-5-HP-Stainless-Steel-Submersible-Well-Pump/3087299

There's a video in link, You should need a 3/4 HP pump.

Well drillers like to have the mystique of stuff you can't see providing stuff you need. I have to stress many hands making it easier, they would either show with a derrick or several guys do do this pull and re-install.

One thing not mentioned above is sterilizing the well after you've been in it. Running water for days will certainly do it, a couple tablespoons of chlorine pool powder or a 1/4- 1/2 cup of bleach, whichever you can get. Warning: do not use splash-proof or gel bleach!
Let it sit, if you can wait 8 hours, you'll have it whipped. May have some odor or taste from the chlorine, it will diminish fairly quickly, Don't overdo the chlorine and you'll be fine.

When you pull your pump, note if it has anti-rotation or anti-torque mounted. The pump itself is smooth, this apparatus will clamp to the outside. If it has it, you want to replace it, or reuse it.

Another note: If you have to re-glue or replace the piping, do NOT use the all-weather blue tinted glue, instead use a clear PVC glue and primer. The blue stuff won't hold up over time, and can cause your pump to actually fall off..

Capt Quirk

At top of casing should be a metal two piece object that clamps onto the pump pipe, and a grommet that the wiring runs through.
Remove all pipe fittings outside the clamp, leaving a section of pipe above the clamp, or just cut loose the pipe from the rest of the system if it's plumbed in close.
Disconnect wiring going into grommet, do NOT remove from clamp.

Once everything is disconnected from outside clamp, pull and twist to unseat the clamp from the casing.
Got this far, and then discovered that there were two blue half circles just under the clamp at top. One of them is at the bottom now.

WayneB

should not be a biggie, you have a 50/50 chance it's lodged on top of the pump. :/

They are really to keep stuff like rust and/or bugs from going down the casing. You can cut another out of foam or go to a well drillers' shop and buy one.

Capt Quirk

Sorry, too busy with other stuff, and don't have extra hands at the moment anyways. I got it all busted loose, dropped something in it, and that is where it sits at the moment. I'm waiting for some help, so I don't drop anything else down it.

Latest posts