Got my first crossbow kill.

Tenpin

I've had my Barnett Jackal for 4 years but I've never used it for a hunt until this past weekend. I'd moved my ground blind to just 20 yards off the game trail I hunt and since archery was either sex on opening weekend, I figured I'd go for it.

On Sunday, early in the afternoon, I was fortunate enough to have a young (fork horn) buck come down the trail and present a shot just 15 yards from my little one-man doghouse blind.

That was extremely cool. I may not take my rifle out at all this year. I don't have any shots over 35 yards from that blind anyways.

Used a Barnett Outdoors Carbon Crossbow 20-Inch bolt with a Rage Crossbow X Extreme Two-Blade Broadhead.

Jim Boyd

Congrats!

Way to
Go!!!!!

BowanaLee

Welcome to the 1st xbow kill 2017 club.

oldfella1962

I've had my Barnett Jackal for 4 years but I've never used it for a hunt until this past weekend. I'd moved my ground blind to just 20 yards off the game trail I hunt and since archery was either sex on opening weekend, I figured I'd go for it.

On Sunday, early in the afternoon, I was fortunate enough to have a young (fork horn) buck come down the trail and present a shot just 15 yards from my little one-man doghouse blind.

That was extremely cool. I may not take my rifle out at all this year. I don't have any shots over 35 yards from that blind anyways.

Used a Barnett Outdoors Carbon Crossbow 20-Inch bolt with a Rage Crossbow X Extreme Two-Blade Broadhead.

awesome! Did that Jackal smoke him? Reason I ask is I'm thinking about getting an X-bow for next season and all my shots will be 15 yards & under (if I can get that close with my recurve now there's no excuse for taking shots any longer, right?) so I'll look into the price on a Jackal if you recommend them.

Tenpin

awesome! Did that Jackal smoke him? Reason I ask is I'm thinking about getting an X-bow for next season and all my shots will be 15 yards & under (if I can get that close with my recurve now there's no excuse for taking shots any longer, right?) so I'll look into the price on a Jackal if you recommend them.

It would be hard to recommend it based solely on hunting experience with it - like I said, it was my first kill, it was also my only shot hunting with it.

One shot, one kill.

That being said, the Jackal is consistent when shooting targets and can nail a quarter at 35 yards. I don't shoot at a target more than one bolt at a time for fear of shattering a bolt on the second shot.

I say get one.

I'd say the biggest advantage is not having to draw and attract attention in close quarters.

oldfella1962

It would be hard to recommend it based solely on hunting experience with it - like I said, it was my first kill, it was also my only shot hunting with it.

One shot, one kill.

That being said, the Jackal is consistent when shooting targets and can nail a quarter at 35 yards. I don't shoot at a target more than one bolt at a time for fear of shattering a bolt on the second shot.

I say get one.

I'd say the biggest advantage is not having to draw and attract attention in close quarters.

yes, that's what holding me down. :cry: I have great spots with plenty of deer at close range, my camo & scent control is perfect, but if I don't have some wind to move the leaves behind me, I can't draw back! :huh: sure you can wait until they get their head behind a tree, but they always walk a path where they have complete visibility - I can't blame them!

If all I had to do was squeeze a trigger - it would be a slam dunk. 300 or so FPS at 15 yards away means the deer have very little time to duck down. They might hear a crossbow, but moving their body takes another .1 second - too late most of the time.

I'm honestly thinking about riding out the rest of this season with my son's high quality zoom lens camera. I might as well accomplish something with being able to get so close to deer!