Marsh hens

T-N-T

So help the ignorant out . .....

I need a Higher tide to get at them better? But not "necessary"?

DRBugman85

So help the ignorant out . .....

I need a Higher tide to get at them better? But not "necessary"?
No sir you don't need high tides you can shoot the dumb little bird at dead low tide off a mud flat,That being said here on the coastal marsh we teach the young men and girls how to shoot as soon as possible that's why we marsh hen hunters can out shoot city slickers any day of the week. There's not much sport to shoot a long leg brown bird that's slow and clumsy but it's how we teach our children to shoot at a early age. Taking a youth and having fun is the point I'm making.WHAT is necessary is to have fun with a kid that's going to be the future of AMERICA HUNTERS and a sport that's been around before most on GON were born.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Marsh hen will run rather than fly if there is terrain to run on. With the marshland covered with water they will climb up on marsh rack and floating debris. There's no place for them to hide on a spring tide. They fly as a last resort and not very swiftly. Being able to float to them is far better than struggling to retrieve one on foot on a bare mudflat.

DRBugman85

Just not to sporty for a season hunter but for a kid it's a good time if you get a tide and a young hunter they can enjoy it and it teaches them the art of wingshooting and quite tastey on the grill just not a lot of ù (small birds)But take 12-15 can make a meal.

T-N-T

My neighbors sons papa takes him once and again. I had honestly never heard of it till three years ago.
Thanks for the help. I'll likely take off one day with a novice shooter to help em out ....

Uptonongood

Had some great hunts in the marshes around St. Simons Island in years gone past. Hunted the flooding tide, let the boat drift up the small feeder creeks and started banging on the boat with the push pole to flush the birds. Don't take a really good gun on the hunt, it will get soaked with salt water.

I also assisted federal LE in catching folks shooting marsh hens while under motor power. The state LE guys are out there, too, so those folks in that boat a hundred yards away just might not be the hunters you think they are. We caught one county commissioner and his son, he sweated it for a while thinking we'd release his name to the media. We didn't, wasn't our job to do that.

Oh, and if your buddy is using that push pole to reach out and pull a dead bird back to you, be sure to duck when he jerks the pole back in your direction. It can take a minute or two to regain consciousness after it hits you between the eyes.

Last edited:

DRBugman85

Had some great hunts in the marshes around St. Simons Island in years gone past. Hunted the flooding tide, let the boat drift up the small feeder creeks and started banging on the boat with the push pole to flush the birds. Don't take a really good gun on the hunt, it will get soaked with salt water.

I also assisted federal LE in catching folks shooting marsh hens while under motor power. The state LE guys are out there, too, so those folks in that boat a hundred yards away just might not be the hunters you think they are. We caught one county commissioner and his son, he sweated it for a while thinking we'd release his name to the media. We didn't, wasn't our job to do that.

Oh, and if your buddy is using that push pole to reach out and pull a dead bird back to you, be sure to duck when he jerks the pole back in your direction. It can take a minute or two to regain consciousness after it hits you between the eyes.
You mean you CAN'T run the OUTBOARD :biggrin2:.The Feds Love to write that ticket,:(:huh: Read the regs before you hunt marsh hens. Save the time and money of that TICKET.

The Fever

No sir you don't need high tides you can shoot the dumb little bird at dead low tide off a mud flat,That being said here on the coastal marsh we teach the young men and girls how to shoot as soon as possible that's why we marsh hen hunters can out shoot city slickers any day of the week. There's not much sport to shoot a long leg brown bird that's slow and clumsy but it's how we teach our children to shoot at a early age. Taking a youth and having fun is the point I'm making.WHAT is necessary is to have fun with a kid that's going to be the future of AMERICA HUNTERS and a sport that's been around before most on GON were born.

Before all on the GON were born.

Speaking of being around since the beginning of time.... When are you going to start hunting Rhett's with Cricket again? You two used to be inseparable back in the dizzay :fine:

The Fever

Very true. We had a group of hunters follow us for a long time through the marshes. Dad and I thought it was odd. after a couple hours they pulled up and were LE. Checked out licenses and everything. Good folks!

DRBugman85

Before all on the GON were born.

Speaking of being around since the beginning of time.... When are you going to start hunting Rhett's with Cricket again? You two used to be inseparable back in the dizzay :fine:
My buddy and I Do not try to hunt with the Village IDIOTS that hunt the ALTAMAHA WMA,The Internet hunters took over and it's a joke to even try to hunt in Retts Island on any day its open for hunting ,The best hunting is from 2pm till sunset on Tuesday afternoon when nobody's there.:rofl: We shot all we needed back in the 70s to the mid 90s till the Internet ruin the hunting on the entire area.

The Fever

My buddy and I Do not try to hunt with the Village IDIOTS that hunt the ALTAMAHA WMA,The Internet hunters took over and it's a joke to even try to hunt in Retts Island on any day its open for hunting ,The best hunting is from 2pm till sunset on Tuesday afternoon when nobody's there.:rofl: We shot all we needed back in the 70s to the mid 90s till the Internet ruin the hunting on the entire area.

I'm fairly certain ole cricket still hunts over there, but you sure did wise up. I can't blame you. Folks over there got too possessive over ponds and bully folks in the dikes and ramps. It's sad really.

DRBugman85

I'm fairly certain ole cricket still hunts over there, but you sure did wise up. I can't blame you. Folks over there got too possessive over ponds and bully folks in the dikes and ramps. It's sad really.

No sir He hunts with me only on Tuesday afternoon. :biggrin3:

Uptonongood

Cut the motor off right before you start shooting........pretty easy.:D

Actually, all forward motion produced by the motor must have stopped before you fire that shot. Just shutting off the motor isn't enough.

The Fever

No sir He hunts with me only on Tuesday afternoon. :biggrin3:

Well hot dang. Good for him. That place is a madness and really not worth anyone's time or funds.

Next time you're at two way, don't be a stranger.

T-N-T

Cut the motor off right before you start shooting........pretty easy.:D

That's how I've heard it done. I told the guy, I ain't no marsh hen hunter, but I know that ain't legit.