VA questions

hipster dufus

havent been to the VA since 1982. i think i need a new id card and would like to try to update my disability compensation. do i have to go to the office in decatur to accomplish this? is there a facility near athens?also would like to finally get my veterans drivers license. is there an office in gwinnett?thanks for the help .

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
There is a VA clinic in Athens, it's just past the department of drivers services office on Hwy 29 headed north toward Danielsville. You should just be able to take a copy of your DD-214 when you go to renew your license to get the veterans license.

9249 Highway 29 North
Athens, GA 30601

Phone: 706-227-4534
Fax: 706-227-4538

Last edited:

WaltL1

Here is the link to the VA MyHealthVet site.
Don't know if it will help but lots of info about benefits, can ask questions online etc.
You will need to register.
https://www.myhealth.va.gov/

Uptonongood

If you are going to apply for an increase in disability contact the local DAV or VFW service officer, they'll help you file the claim. Don't file it yourself, the VA claims folks eat self filed claims folks for lunch. (I speak from professional experience).

dslc6487

Do you have a percentage disability now? Are you trying to get the percentage increased due to service connected problems or injuries? I got a lot more help from the Ga. state rep than I ever did with the DAV. Also, my congressman helped me a lot in getting my disability rating. I feel quite sure that you need a new ID card if you have not had one since 1982. The MY Health Vet. Va.gov is a site that has been set up to help veterans find out information. If the VA has ever done anything right, it was when they established this site. Has tons of information on all subjects. You will have to create a password and a user name. But, it would be well worth your time to get connected with this site.

WaltL1

Do you have a percentage disability now? Are you trying to get the percentage increased due to service connected problems or injuries? I got a lot more help from the Ga. state rep than I ever did with the DAV. Also, my congressman helped me a lot in getting my disability rating. I feel quite sure that you need a new ID card if you have not had one since 1982. The MY Health Vet. Va.gov is a site that has been set up to help veterans find out information. If the VA has ever done anything right, it was when they established this site. Has tons of information on all subjects. You will have to create a password and a user name. But, it would be well worth your time to get connected with this site.
You aren't kidding!
Can get more accomplished on this site in 10 minutes than you used to be able to in 2 weeks of making phone calls, being on hold for hours, getting transferred from dept. to dept. and all that.
Makes reordering prescriptions, getting info etc. a breeze.

hipster dufus

so, do i have to go to decatur to get an id card or can i go to lawrenceville or athens?

dslc6487

Probably have to go to Decatur. But, don't know for sure. You could call the clinics in Athens and Lawrenceville and they should be able to tell you.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten