Up the tree at Panola mountain

Tadpole23

Got in a tree before daylight not my tree I had picked out cause somebody else wanted to hunt where I had picked. Had to flash a couple people from walking in on me other than that all good started out with a big ol longbeard coming to me at daylight then seen 4 does and 2 bucks in a group but no shot on the does. 10 mins later a 125 inch 8 point walks by at 30 yards all I can do is watch. Still up the tree waiting on a doe to slip up.

XJfire75

Is it earn a buck again this year? Might go on that hunt next year. Have 7 points burning a hole lol

Tadpole23

Yea it is earn a buck this year too. I've seen 14 so far today with no shots on does

HunterJoe24

I was supposed to be there this year but ended up not being able to make it. I was looking forward to this one for a while

XJfire75

They’re talking about moving away from earn a buck next year.

Nice! I don’t have any SPs anywhere near me so been saving points waiting on a new one of one to open back up that’s been closed a few years for the best chance at a couple deer. If Panola isn’t overcrowded may put in for it

BASS1FUN

They ought to do away with it and allow you to kill whatever I would have gone this year I’ve got about 7 or 8 points now

Hunter/Mason

My buddy txt me early and said he shot a doe. I told him to sit tight and keep hunting, about 30 mins later he txt saying tagged out with a nice 8. He went to see about the doe and realized he missed her clean. Shot a sapling in front of her. He called the ranger and was told to consider himself tagged out. Said bring the buck in and checked then head home. Kinda crappy seeing it took him 7 years to get this hunt. Said he saw 10 deer this am and coulda killed a doe after he talked to the ranger but is too honest to do that. Said several folks were told the same thing this am.

ssramage

My buddy txt me early and said he shot a doe. I told him to sit tight and keep hunting, about 30 mins later he txt saying tagged out with a nice 8. He went to see about the doe and realized he missed her clean. Shot a sapling in front of her. He called the ranger and was told to consider himself tagged out. Said bring the buck in and checked then head home. Kinda crappy seeing it took him 7 years to get this hunt. Said he saw 10 deer this am and coulda killed a doe after he talked to the ranger but is too honest to do that. Said several folks were told the same thing this am.

I talked to your buddy yesterday. He was actually hunting pretty close to me. He seemed good with the park managers decision. His buck was pretty nice too!

The park manager, IMO, has done a great job with this hunt so far and has been pretty helpful/fair when issues come up.

Tadpole23

This has been a good hunt so far. Had a guy walking around couldn't find his deer stand this morning at 640.

hoppie

Keep the updates coming. This one interests me for sure.

Tadpole23

Dang I heard a shot over near your way. Only 2 shots on the whole place this morning. Deer are not moving I guess I haven't even seen a deer

Public Land Prowler

I met most of y’all on this thread.Thanks tadpole for sharpening my knife.Anyways the park staff including gw and all volunteers has been second to none..exceptional!Friendly helpful and also positive attitudes.As far as having to go home with one buck and no doe I think that’s great bc atleast he didn’t get a ticket for
Not having doe in hand before he shot his buck.I met him also and he seemed fine with it as well.To truly make the earn a buck stick you should have to get your card punched THEN be able to shoot a buck.But again they didn’t want a bunch of crippled or lost deer and I guess they figured that instead of ppl kill all the does out/as long as effort was made they were good..idk..my son shot his doe at 7:10 in the am,I got mine at 8:21..we took them to the check station and I shot a 10 at dark..some other guys shot a 9..I wouldn’t say any of our deer are really that big and both were aged at 3.5yrs old.had a guy creep in on my son this am.he hasn’t seen a deer or heard a shot today.Dont forget the reason earn a buck was put in place..bc guys were passing all the does..with that in mind everyone’s attitude and they way they handle things could set the future of these hunts..just like the guys previous to us did..so be mindful

ssramage

Dang I heard a shot over near your way. Only 2 shots on the whole place this morning. Deer are not moving I guess I haven't even seen a deer

I just let a doe walk. She kept looking over her shoulder so I thought she may have company.

That fog saved a lot of deer this morning.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member

That's the way it was on the hunt's I went on there. Those deer get wise quick. The second day was always slower. Hence the reason they went to the doe first rule. Folks would keep passing on the first day waiting for a buck, then come the second day they wouldn't see a deer. Then the management objectives don't get met.

Tadpole23

Only hunt I've ever been on that was more organized than this is the butler island duck hunt. Good thing is we don't have to do away with the scraps after we get done cleaning our deer. They take care of it