Taking the Shocks off my Jeep

swamp hunter

Got an old one. 1984 CJ 7.
I use it only in the woods on Dim roads. Been in 4 wheel high for years. Slow speeds all the time ,maybe 30 tops and really rare, no high speed cornering , no rock climbing , very small amout of muddy creek crossings.
Thing will beat you to death with a pot hole..Slam .
small fell down tree logs..Slam..it,s a rough rider.
The old shocks did it so I put on new ones...Slam again.
Wondering if I can take the shocks off and just ride on the Leaf springs.
Might make this thing bearable.
Any suggestions ?

GoldDot40

Shock absorbers are high on the list of "get what you pay for". What brand are you using? You definitely don't need to run without them. Leaf springs only will cause that thing to bounce like crazy.

Maybe get on some Jeep forums and do some homework...even ask the question over there. I know there's some Jeep gurus on here. Maybe one will chime in shortly.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
It's a CJ7. 4 corner leaf springs and short WB so It's gonna ride like a stage coach. If you retain the leafs, the only remedy is to slow down. Swapping out the leafs for coils might help, but it would likely cost more than you would want to spend on a hunting Jeep.

I've got an '81 CJ8 in the garage.

I've had a few 7's, a couple 8's and one '90 Wrangler(bought it new). They will all beat your guts harder than a tri hull boat jumping a 6' wake. There is no cure that I have seen and I have used various after market suspension packages(all leafs).

rayjay

It's easy to take the shocks off so give it a try. If it's too bouncy put them back on. The problem is most likely that the thing doesn't have much wheel travel so there's just no way to make it ride smooth. Plus they are heavy so this requires stiff springs just to hold up the weight. Then there is the unsprung weight problem.

T-N-T

The best thing I have done for my yj is put 35x12.50x15's on it and then air them down to where they almost look pudgy at the bottom

The tires take up a lot of the small stuff like a pothole or tree limb.

sinclair1

Check the tire pressure. Too high and you negate the shocks dampening. TNT nailed it.

swamp hunter

I've got 36,s on it. Brand new top quality shocks as well.
Think I'll back down the Tire pressure. Don't even know what pressure they are now..haven't checked in 3 years.

sinclair1

I've got 36,s on it. Brand new top quality shocks as well.
Think I'll back down the Tire pressure. Don't even know what pressure they are now..haven't checked in 3 years.

I have a FJ with a short wheel base with bilstein adjustables and got the bright idea I would increase the tire pressure to get better gas mileage on the way to Hancock. It worked until I hit the dirt roads and it rode like it had no shocks and beat me to death.

rospaw

Tire pressure. Try 20psi
Body Bushings / Mounts. They rust out bad on CJ's and could cause slop in the body/tub. That would give you a really ruff ride. Easy to check by looking at them.
Last but not least for me is the seats. CJ's have awful seats. Both of mine i have junked the factory seats. Many seats will adapt but for me is a 76-79 dodge low back van/power wagon seats. They bolt right in and make a world of difference. They look just like factory jeep sets but twice as thick and 3" wider. 400 miles trip (highway and trails) and i feel great afterwords. The seats are the best "shock". Hands down the BEST improvement to my 72 cj5 that i once strip down to frame 30yrs ago. It's not a mudder/rock climber type jeep but a nice street/trail rig.

Shocks on my jeeps are Moroso coil-overs on the 72 and no name coil-overs on 76 cj7. Yes, shocks WITH coils on them. Both jeeps have normal 4 corner leaf springs.

Another thought..... what kind of lift do you have. That could be the cause. Some of those spring they put with lifts kits are tooth chippers! I stay away from the full lifts and ride on 33's.

swamp hunter

3 inch Body Lift. Rubber washers are all new.
The tires were at 20 psi, I just dropped them to 15.
36 inch tires , fairly big and wide. Skyjacker new shocks and not the supermax off road models , just good shocks.
I think the dang thing is just to light...Slam..

T-N-T

Jeeps are light.
Try jacking up one corner at a time from the axle under the spring. See if you get any flex in the spring.

EuroTech

I have a 81 CJ7 and it is the same way ! As stated before short wheel base and leaf springs are always going to ride like that. that is what makes her a CJ!!! Don't mess with it!!!