GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Everything Motorized - Boats - Trucks - ATV's - etc

Old 10-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Default Honda Recon 250 -- won't downshift -- foot shifter

Going to my stand opening morning I put 4 wheeler in gear and when I pulled around truck it wouldn't down shift. I rode to the spot and it still wouldn't down shift but would shift up just fine. It definitely feels loose and something needs is not "connected" or catching that should be. Whatever is wrong the foot shifter hangs down now so your foot can't get under it like it normally would sit. I tried to take it off and it is just above my abilities. I'm trying to avoid the powersports type help and wondered if anyone knows of a company person or if anyone on here can fix it. Any PM's are welcome. I'll be relying on the ole golf cart for now.

Side note:
I'll be replacing the existing aftermarket China made carb with a Honda carb janky. Anything I should look at while doing that? It'll be my first carb replacement done by myself.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Default Side note

Just put a new drop in on my 1998 Honda Recon. This carb. fits 1997-2007 Honda Recon. Item # 391912100711 Purchase from Ebay $24.50 including shipping. Cheaper to do this than try to rebuild my old one. Runs very good now.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 PM

chadf is a member and super helpful. PM him or just wait, he'll chime in shortly, I'm sure.

Carb replacement is easy. 2 or 3 bolts...a screw with the choke cable and then just start with the set screw/idle screw and fine tune once it's running.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:16 AM

Your shift lever is probably stripped out. Cheap fix.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbender View Post
Your shift lever is probably stripped out. Cheap fix.
But wouldn't it have just as much trouble shifting up in gear as down? It was shifting up just fine which makes made me think it wasn't that.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:06 PM

I used to own a Recon but can't remember how the linkage looks, but its probably similar to others, normally the foot shifter clamps around a shaft, the outside of the shaft is splined, and the inside of the foot shifter is splined with a bolt holding it tight,

The bolt may have loosened enough the shifter has jumped a couple splines, if it were to move down two or three splines, you would still have enough movement up to upshift, but not enough left going the other direction to downshift . Its what I would look at first anyway .
Old 11-08-2017, 07:19 PM

If the splines on the shift shaft aren't stripped the return spring is most likely broke. It has 2 prongs that go on either side of the return spring pin and keeps it centered on the shift drum. If one side of the spring breaks it'll cause what you describe. It's an easy fix if you're handy and have an air wrench to remove the clutch hub nut.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Read all the post above.

Very good info posted .

I'm pretty sure we can help around here!
Old 11-09-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattuga View Post
But wouldn't it have just as much trouble shifting up in gear as down? It was shifting up just fine which makes made me think it wasn't that.
You would think that but for some reason they usually shift up O.K. but slip when you are shifting down. You definately use more pressure to down shift than upshift so it kind of makes sense.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I bought a new shift lever and it came in today. I attempted to take off the existing one to no avail. I took out the main screw but it seems there is another item I cannot see that is holding it on. I think I need to remove the plastic to get a better look but can't find a good video on how to do it. Will I be replacing the plastic screws no matter what? This 4 wheeler has no busted plastic and I'd like to keep it that way. I tried to google or youtube to get a simple video but nothing good has come of it.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:56 PM

Nothing else holds the shift lever on, except maybe the worn splines. You can use an old screwdriver to spread open the gap on the shifter and it should slide off.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 PM
Default lever

Backlasher is right there is nothing else holding it on. No need to take any plastic off unless you have aftermarket foot guards/floorboards. You have to gently rotate the lever a fraction of an inch (while pulling/wiggling) in order to line up the splines on either side of the groove in the shaft.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 PM
useless thread starter

Bunch of smart guys on here....................