Delayed Harvest Season

TheTroutWhisperer

Hey All, Tomorrow starts the DH season in Tenn. and I hear all sorts of rumors. One is they are delaying stocking the Hiwassee and Tellico because of warm water temps. Does anyone have any Hard info about whats going on with these streams? I know this is a GON forum but guys from all over are on it. Since I live in Calhoun the HI is my favorite river to fish and have been waiting for months on the DH season to start and now not sure what is going on. :huh:

rutnbuk

I am heading up to some DH streams in Western NC next week. I was more concerned about the water levels but after being transferred around a few times I actually spoke with someone over DH and he advised me it is full steam ahead for OCT stockings. I am driving 4 hours with my son to sling some streamers so I hope it stands.

TheTroutWhisperer

I've been taking some long looks at the Natty myself. I'll bet its fishing good now. This drought in NGA is insane. I think WNC has seen quite a bit more rain than we have had. Should be good up there. Enjoy the trip rutnbuk! looks like you will have some nice cool weather.

TheTroutWhisperer

Yep, I heard also. Plan to go up and hit it Sunday even with a pretty high flow. Gonna wait until tomorrow to see Monday and Tuesday flow. I'm off those days and was going to deer hunt but may switch things up if the flows are more favorable for wading.

warmouth

I'm late, but the hiwassee was pre-dh stocked in September to "test" the waters. I'd say more than a few were put in because I caught 2 in a heavily fished area pushing 20". Out of curiosity, why is the hiwassee your favorite? It's more a back up plan for most I know. I know sentiment sometimes trumps the fishing, hence why I have a fondness for Sycamore Creek.

TheTroutWhisperer

Didn't hear about any pre-dh stocking... actually it was not until mid October due to the warm water temps. The big fish that were planned for the DH were released in mid August because the hatchery had become to warm to keep them. They were released and quickly chunked out. For one the size of the river, two the awesome scenery on the river. Not so many places around here you can see a bald eagle almost every time you go. Then three the quality of the fishing for most months. Yes, most are stockers but this is the southeast and that's all we get unless you are high in the mountains and have access to some native streams. For me its an easy drive to it and almost every trip I enjoy myself. I love fishing out west and this is about as close to that as I can get.

Georgia Hard Hunter

I'm late, but the hiwassee was pre-dh stocked in September to "test" the waters. I'd say more than a few were put in because I caught 2 in a heavily fished area pushing 20". Out of curiosity, why is the hiwassee your favorite? It's more a back up plan for most I know. I know sentiment sometimes trumps the fishing, hence why I have a fondness for Sycamore Creek.

The Hiwassee was my favorite back in the day before the equipment failure led to the river drying up and killing a huge portion of the caddis. Big fish were common back then. Kinda happened again on the Toccoa

TheTroutWhisperer

You are so right GHH. 2008 was before my time fishing the HI but I see lots of pics from back then and those Browns will make your jaw drop. I know people get tired of hearing me complain about so many people just draining the river of fish every summer but I have to remind myself this is not the Rockies and is the hot southeast. Being here in Georgia its a real haul to drive up to the Natty, Clinch and Holston where the water stays in the 50s year around and the fish can reproduce. I really love to flyfish but I'm really limited at where I can go.. I try to make the best of what I have available.