Question about Hog meat

huntingonthefly

Gone but not forgotten
if you happen to get a hog that stinks, quarter it and get on ice asap and pour a bottle of apple vinegar in the cooler leave the drain closed so it soaks over night. drain off water the next day add ice and more apple vinegar this will remove the taint smell and taste if it may have a strong taste. only needs to be done on a larger hog that smells but you can add to all hogs if you choose. this will remove any wild gamey taste and you will be left with good ole hog.

Another: Add 2 or 3 liter bottles of Sprite to the icy water mixed cooler for a few days. Rank boars taste like a little shoat. Cut slices off the same quarter, cook before and after applying Sprite if u wanna test it

Roadking65

Beretta682: Thanks good video! That guy certainly has done that a few times. He threw ribs away. Are they not worth the trouble? Is gutting them first not a very good idea bc of the diseases? Safer to just quarter and not fool with the ribs? (I like pork ribs can ya tell?)
Never tried wild hog ribs is why I'm asking.

Thanks everyone!
RK

Beretta682

Beretta682: Thanks good video! That guy certainly has done that a few times. He threw ribs away. Are they not worth the trouble? Is gutting them first not a very good idea bc of the diseases? Safer to just quarter and not fool with the ribs? (I like pork ribs can ya tell?)

Thanks everyone!
RK
Not sure. I have heard the wild pigs are leaner than raised ones and don't have as much meat on the ribs but I don't know for sure. Maybe some one will chime in on that answer

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks everyone!
RK

Depends on the size of the hog and how fat it is. I've gotten some good ribs off wild hogs that were hitting corn feeders or eating a lot of acorns. I usually gut them. Makes it easier to get the tenderloins out, and I'm durn sure not leaving them in the carcass. It's pretty easy to get the tenderloins out of a deer without gutting it, but I haven't had the same experience with hogs.

if you happen to get a hog that stinks, quarter it and get on ice asap and pour a bottle of apple vinegar in the cooler leave the drain closed so it soaks over night. drain off water the next day add ice and more apple vinegar this will remove the taint smell and taste if it may have a strong taste. only needs to be done on a larger hog that smells but you can add to all hogs if you choose. this will remove any wild gamey taste and you will be left with good ole hog.

This ^^^^^^^. We do with all the larger hogs we get!

Designasaurus

Don't worry about castrating a boar

Just my opinion but DON'T worry about trying to castrate a hog after it is down. First, it won't have any effect after the animal is dead. Second, it is just another opportunity to cut yourself. I know this from personal experience - trying to castrate a large boar in the woods on Ossabaw Island with a dull knife. So as you might imagine I ended up pulling the knife towards me and it ended up in my leg. I got worried enough hiking out with my foot sloshing around in a boot full of blood that I didn't look at it until I got back to the road. The rangers "used" me as a cautionary tale during the safety orientation for years afterward... The pork was fine but had nothing to do with castrating the hog. You don't want to try explaining what you were doing (and why) to a doctor afterwards when your leg is all infected...

Sgt.USMC

Here is my favorite way to cook 'm...
Using a regular charcoal grill, build your coals and hickory chunks on one side. Once the coals are ready put the meat on the other side, cook 3-5 hours adding more chunks and coal as needed. It will get a really nice black "bark" it. Next into the crock pot with a couple cups of Apple Juice for about 3 more hours or overnight if u want. Drain juice add unfiltered all natural Apple cider vinegar( 1/2 a cup or so,) and Williamson brother original bbq sauce. The flavor combination of bark, sweet Apple and tangy vinegar is amazing.

Northwestretriever

Lots of good info here :cheers:

cburns

those that use the cooler/ice method, how many days do you go?
w/deer i go 5 days before i process/freeze

also w washing down hogs, i like to use a bleach, h2o and dawn.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
A simple - "Hey man - you might have been misinformed" would have been a better response. No need to post a face palm and rofl to someone who was just trying to help.

So you cuttem off too::ke:

Lighten up sir........if He'd said that while we were sitting round a campfire(oh I almost forgot, we are) I certainly would have fallen over backwards laughing my behind off............but maybe I was the only one who found it funny :huh:

rosewood

I found am article a couple of years back on how to clean a hog and I now do my deer the same way.

I process before leaving the woods. Put the animal on the tailgate. I open them right down the spine, peel the hide back to clear the quarters. Cut out the back strap and then take off the quarters. Cut off end of legs with tree loppers and toss the rest. All of this work is at waist level. I never touch the guts of the critters. I can do this way quicker than I ever could clean one on the gambrel. Yes, the tenderloin gets tossed, but I never liked that small squishy piece of meat anyway. The vultures can have it for the trouble it would be worth.

I keep a 2 liter bottle of water in the bed of the truck and a 20 oz bottle with watered down dawn for washing my hands when done.

Wash the meat off when you get to a water hose. Then I put on ice and drain off every couple of days and add more ice for about 5 days, then I debone, grind and freeze or if keeping a ham or shoulder for the smoker, just wrap it up and put in freezer.

Rosewood

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I found am article a couple of years back on how to clean a hog and I now do my deer the same way.

I process before leaving the woods. Put the animal on the tailgate. I open them right down the spine, peel the hide back to clear the quarters. Cut out the back strap and then take off the quarters. Cut off end of legs with tree loppers and toss the rest. All of this work is at waist level. I never touch the guts of the critters. I can do this way quicker than I ever could clean one on the gambrel. Yes, the tenderloin gets tossed, but I never liked that small squishy piece of meat anyway. The vultures can have it for the trouble it would be worth.

I keep a 2 liter bottle of water in the bed of the truck and a 20 oz bottle with watered down dawn for washing my hands when done.

Wash the meat off when you get to a water hose. Then I put on ice and drain off every couple of days and add more ice for about 5 days, then I debone, grind and freeze or if keeping a ham or shoulder for the smoker, just wrap it up and put in freezer.

Rosewood

This is how I started doing it a while back...........even doing it on the ground is much faster and neater than skinning the whole thing etc..... If you get your knife in the joint, you can cut right through the tendons and the feet will come right off too.....I keep a razor knife with a carpet blade and my filet knife in my pouch with latex gloves and heavy duty garbage bags. Its all ya need:cheers:

rosewood

If you get your knife in the joint, you can cut right through the tendons and the feet will come right off too.....I keep a razor knife with a carpet blade and my filet knife in my pouch with latex gloves and heavy duty garbage bags. Its all ya need:cheers:

I can get the back legs at the joint but the front legs always give me a fit. My father in law had this nervous twitch to saw the head off. Took several years to convince him it was a waste of time if we are not keeping the ribs. I am always looking for shortcuts myself.

Rosewood

WildLines

I am no expert, only a few killed. My first time was with an outfitter.

He quartered it and told is to put the meat on top of the ice in a cooler few a few days and drain off the water daily. This will let it bleed out and not be strong, but don't just let it sit in water. Lastly, that yellow fat on them.... get it all off. It is some kind of nasty. I can tell no difference between the shoulders other than size.