Roscoe Reams obituary

Jody Hawk

REAMS, Roscoe ROSCOE REAMS Mr. Roscoe Reams, sportsman extraordinaire, age 84 of McDonough, passed away September 16, 2008 in an automobile accident after his weekly feeding of wildlife on a friend's farm. Roscoe's love of hunting and fishing began as a boy roaming the woods and camping along the Chattahoochee. He graduated from the Atlanta Boy's High School; attended college at Georgia State; enlisted in the Navy and served during World War II. Roscoe taught himself to bow hunt in the early forties and gave demonstrations across the country including the ballroom of the Hotel Statler in New York City. He demonstrated his skill on the Tonight Show, and spoke and demonstrated his art at hundreds of wildlife shows around the nation. His biggest thrill was shooting a bear with a bow at thirty yards in the Smokey Mountains. He became so famous as a sportsman that Life magazine depicted him in a full page ad sampling a glass of whiskey after a hard day in a field. In real life he was not a drinker. He was also featured in other publications as well as eighty newspapers shooting arrows into a prominent brand of tires to demonstrate how quickly they resealed themselves. He was known as the top hunting archer in the nation and Atlanta's Robin Hood. In addition to archery, Roscoe was a champion fisherman and alligator hunter. He set a Georgia record catching a 9-lb. Rainbow Trout with an artificial lure. He was employed by the federal government to catch alligators off Blackbeard Island in Florida. While alligator hunting, he often caught the fish he cooked around the campfire at dinner. Roscoe was a master turkey caller and was in great demand as a guide for turkey shoots. He hunted deer, made hunting and fishing videos for TV, and worked full time at Delta Airlines until his retirement in 1986. His friends knew Roscoe as a modest man and loyal friend and most had no idea of his expertise and fame as a sportsman. He never talked about himself, but was always there to help when there were people in need. He often said "If you need me at anytime, anywhere, day or night, I'll be there." His friends knew his word was his bond. In 2002, Roscoe and his wife, Elinor moved to Henry County and became active in the Berea Christian Church. He was always available to do anything needed. Survivors include his wife of 31 years, Elinor Reams; stepson, Greg (Lisa) Hanson; daughter, Dianne Henneger; two sisters and several nieces and nephews. Memorial services will be conducted Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 11:00 AM from the Berea Christian Church in Hampton. Friends may visit the family one hour prior to the service. In lieu of flowers, contributions are asked to be made to Berea Christian Church, 37 Woolsey Road, Hampton, GA 30228 in memory of Roscoe Reams. Haisten Funeral Home of McDonough, 770-914-8833, haistenfunerals.com

Sterlo58

I had the pleasure of meeting Roscoe a couple of years ago. I was doing some work at his stepsons new house. He was helping him move ( at 82 ). He offered to call for me on a turkey hunt on my lease. I regret I never took him up on that. He will be missed.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
About fifteen years ago I was turkey hunting in a very isolated section of the Blue Ridge WMA. I made my way into where I intended to hunt well before daylight.

Being a week day, with conditions near perfect for hearing a bird, I was enjoying the prospect that I was the only hunter, perhaps within miles.

Having made my way into where I intended to listen, I sat on a blowdown and waited as the sky began to brighten in the east. While sitting there, I turned in the direction of where I heard a slight sound.

To my surprise up walked a lone figure with a shotgun on his shoulder. I spoke first, and it was hard to tell which one was the most surprised. It may have been me.

The surprise continued when he introduced himself as Roscoe Reams. I well knew Roscoe from his writings and was surprised that fate had allowed me to meet him under such conditions.

We chatted briefly about the outlook for the hunt and then he told me that he planned to hunt the area across two mountain ridges and that he had planned for someone to pick him up on Noontootley Creek. This would have been a distance of about three miles of very difficult terrain. He then stated that he would not take this route if it would interefere with my hunt in any way. I assurred him that it would not hinder me.

With this Roscoe faded into the morning mist as he eased up the ridge. This was my only exposure to this man who had so distinguished himself in the outdoor pursuits of hunting and fishing.

His writings have thrilled the hearts of many youngsters and old men as well, for so many years. What made his writing so great was the fact that they were based on the depth of his own knowledge and experience. In short, he had been there and done that, and had done it so well.

May his soul rest in peace!!

Gaswamp

thanks for sharing the memory Mr. Vernon

Gadget

I read the article published in the AJC, was a little surprised to see it, well written.

talked with Roscoe many times most recently early this year, he will be missed, was a legend around here.

dutchman

Great account of your meeting, Mr. Vernon.

I have an old video of Roscoe, Doug Camp, Dick Kirby, and a few others doing a panel discussion at the GA NWTF Convention at Unicoi back in about '88 or '89. I gotta dig that thing out and take another look at it.

Holton

O'Neill Williams mentioned this morning they are having a memorial service today for Mr Reams. He said his ashes are to be spread on the land he loved to take care of.

RIP