Buying shotguns at Walmart...

jwilliammix

I am looking at buying a Remington 1187 sportsman waterfowl 12-gauge shotgun and noticed that Walmart sells this item for about $100 less.

Most local gunshop owners say that Walmart may sell you a poor quality or "second class" gun. They may be right.

I don't want to buy a piece of junk while trying to save a buck.

Anybody have any thoughts?

bublewis

If it is the same model with the same model #, it is the same overall quality. Wal-Mart carries a lot of cheap model guns. Anywhere you buy a gun, you could get a better or worse one in the same model, just like going to the local car dealer; some just end up being better. FWIW, I have worked in a Wal-Mart sporting goods and in a couple of small local dealers, and I haven't seen anything to support the assumption of Wal-Mart stocking inferior guns, only cheaper models on average. I'd rather trade with the local guy; see if they can do any better on the price or maybe throw in something to sweeten the deal.

Last edited:

polaris30144

Why would Remington sell a "second" quality gun but mark it the same just to WalMart? A lot of "experts" will tell you there is a difference, I say BALONEY. Unless it is a WalMart exclusive or a "store" model just sold to Walmart , the model would be listed as different such as a "W" after or before the Model number.

Gumbo1

Walmart does not sell a different quality gun. 90% of the shot guns and small caliber rifles I have owned over the years have some from them. Enjoy the savings.

ToroAzul

It took a looooong time for me to find a range/shop that I actually enjoyed walking in the door. Between surly employees, high prices, and unsafe ranges i really stay out of most. Long stiry short: Gunshops simply can't compete with the bulk buying power of the World of Wally or the independent seller on the interweb.

Sounds like they were just trying to close a deal.

lungbuster123

Walmart sell's guns cheaper because they can move them. There's not a thing wrong with guns from Walmart. I honestly suggest you find a new gun shop. I wouldnt want to buy from somone who's lieing to me just to make a buck.

chuckdog

The local Wally World here used to get most of their long guns from Lipseys'. The same Lipseys' the independents buy from. I'd suggest to any dealer that offers up that, to show you any difference. They're the same pieces. It's sad but, you're as likely to get a piece of junk from them as you are at Wally World.

7Mag Hunter

I special ordered a Sako T-3 from Wally world a couple of
years ago, and when I recd the gun and paperwork, indicated
it was shipped from a gun distributor in Atl to Walmart in Hiram
where I picked it up...

If a gun store tells you Sako, Rem, Winchester etc, makes "special"
cheap guns just for walmart he is not being honest..
Since you can no longer special order from WW, they order and
sell guns that sell quick in their stores...You will not likely see a $1000.
rifle in WW sitting in the rack, but you will see guns that
are priced to sell quickly...Usually under $500.00...
Same quality, same gun you would buy is gun store, but lower price...
Save your self some money...Buy the shotgun....

dax

We've bought countless rifles from Wal-Mart - especially Ruger 10/22's when they had a good deal on them! Never had an issue.

Sargent

I think this may be the case:

The model WalMart carries doesn't come with the 3 choke set. I think it just comes with one choke.

I know Remington has changed the 1187 Sportsman somewhat, so this is a guess.

It could also be the old model.

georgia_home

i have 2 1187's, both from the mid 90's or so.

1 (sp) bought at a mid-size chain that was going out of business (20% off at the time, i couldn't refuse) and 1 (light contour) that i bought at walmart.

except in the places sp and lc are supposed to be different, i have never noticed any functional differences. all parts are the same. all parts are interchangeable (except you need to swap the forearm if you want to swap barrels from regular to lc, which i've done).

except for the standard remington gripe, the rubbers / gaskets, i have never had any trouble with either. i've even shot without the gasket on a few occasions. both guns have been well used for hunting and various forms of clay shooting.

as someone noted, MAYBE the differences are in the packaging or include extras, like chokes. i don't recall my purchase, if it had them or not.

i did happen to be looking recently at walmart and at bass pro... i didn't see any obvious differences in the 2 stores, but i didn't look inside the cases for the extras. i was just window shopping at both locations.

if walmart has a better prices on the same gun, just verify the product and, if you like it, buy it. as near as i can tell, they appear to be just as good, just as well made. i my experience, they are just as reliable.

walmart's price, standard, did seem to be the same prices as bp's sale price. + the current rebate, i think $50... check that though.

imho, i dont think A GUN MAKER would sell an inferior product from one store to the other. maybe they would have the lower trim model at some locations, black plastic instead of camo plastic, or maybe no chokes, but i don't think they would lower their product standards.

this would be similar some places not carrying the "premium" products in some stores and not others.

georgia_home

i have 2 1187's, both from the mid 90's or so.

1 (sp) bought at a mid-size chain that was going out of business (20% off at the time, i couldn't refuse) and 1 (light contour) that i bought at walmart.

except in the places sp and lc are supposed to be different, i have never noticed any functional differences. all parts are the same. all parts are interchangeable (except you need to swap the forearm if you want to swap barrels from regular to lc, which i've done).

except for the standard remington gripe, the rubbers / gaskets, i have never had any trouble with either. i've even shot without the gasket on a few occasions. both guns have been well used for hunting and various forms of clay shooting.

as someone noted, MAYBE the differences are in the packaging or include extras, like chokes. i don't recall my purchase, if it had them or not.

i did happen to be looking recently at walmart and at bass pro... i didn't see any obvious differences in the 2 stores, but i didn't look inside the cases for the extras. i was just window shopping at both locations.

if walmart has a better prices on the same gun, just verify the product and, if you like it, buy it. as near as i can tell, they appear to be just as good, just as well made. i my experience, they are just as reliable.

walmart's price, standard, did seem to be the same prices as bp's sale price. + the current rebate, i think $50... check that though.

imho, i dont think A GUN MAKER would sell an inferior product from one store to the other. maybe they would have the lower trim model at some locations, black plastic instead of camo plastic, or maybe no chokes, but i don't think they would lower their product standards.

this would be similar some places not carrying the "premium" products in some stores and not others.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I special ordered a Sako T-3 from Wally world a couple of
years ago, and when I recd the gun and paperwork, indicated
it was shipped from a gun distributor in Atl to Walmart in Hiram
where I picked it up...

If a gun store tells you Sako, Rem, Winchester etc, makes "special"
cheap guns just for walmart he is not being honest
Since you can no longer special order from WW, they order and
sell guns that sell quick in their stores...You will not likely see a $1000.
rifle in WW sitting in the rack, but you will see guns that
are priced to sell quickly...Usually under $500.00...
Same quality, same gun you would buy is gun store, but lower price...
Save your self some money...Buy the shotgun....

Not entirely true.

There are some models by manufacturers that ARE DIFFERENT. Case in point: Not long before Winchester shut their doors, Wal Mart carried a Model 70 (In variouis calibers) that came with a scope. It did not have a floorplate and was different. The folks I dealt with at Winchester called it the "Wally World 70." It was made a little cheaper and the folks at Winchester would tell you that. If I am mistaken, it was the ONLY Winchester rifle that came from the factory with a factory mounted scope.

But yes, Wal Mart buys from Lipseys, Sports South, Zanders, etc. and anywhere else they can get deep discounts on volume buys. But occasionally they can and do go straight to the manufacturer and work out "specials." There was another manufaturer that did it as well, but it was four years ago and I can not remember which one it was.

If you find an EXACT configuration of a weapon elsewhere than most likely the Wal Mart and other gun store have the exact same weapon and it is not a "special."

There was no "W" or any other special lettering on the Winchester indicating it was a special weapon made just for Wal Mart.

hummdaddy

i have several guns i have bought from wally world and they are just as accurate and functional as the day i bought them ... 1 shotgun is 18 years old

I am looking at buying a Remington 1187 sportsman waterfowl 12-gauge shotgun and noticed that Walmart sells this item for about $100 less.

Most local gunshop owners say that Walmart may sell you a poor quality or "second class" gun. They may be right.

I first heard that 40 years ago, when K-mart came to the small town I was living in then.

Local gun dealer was $100.00 higher, in 1975 dollars than K-Mart on an 870 -- he swore that the K-Mart guns were 2nds. Well, me and that "2nd gun" have been all over the United States, and I've put tens of thousands of shells through it of all sorts, with only minor repairs.

As another poster noted, the only difference in the Wally World guns is maybe some cosmetics, or a few less bells and whistles. For someone who wants to dress up their own gun, the Wally World guns are exceptional values because you aren't paying for features you don't want.

frankwright

I bought a Beretta 390 12ga from Walmart about seven years ago. It was different than a standard 390. It did not come with stock adjusting shims, and it did not have the magazine cut off button that allows you to switch the chambered shell.
I did not care about either of those things and paid about $200 less because of it.
I have killed turkeys and doves with it and it has never failed me.
Walmart does get special runs from the manufacturers but like was said, usually cosmetic, same mechanical quality.

atljetmech

Oh my God.....what ever you do, don't buy an inferior gun from Walmart!!!!!
Ok, my sarcasim is short lived. Walmat does not sell second's or rejects.
This has been brought up before and believe it or not, there are a lot of brainwashed folks that truly believe just what you have asked.
As stated already....enjoy the savings by being a wise consumer and use that money to stock up on some shell's for that 12GA cause Obama's gonna put a ban on all ammunition very soon......uh oh, here we go again......

Because of the quantity of guns they are able to order, WM can contact a manufacturer and request a certain price point on a particular firearm. The manufacturer can then do a special run with cheaper wood or parkerizing instead of bluing or whatever is necessary to meet the agreed upon price point.

That said, I've owned quite a few WM guns. All the actions and internal parts were identical to and interchangeable with non-WM guns, but the non-WM guns were prettier.

dakota7250

Does anyone know of a Walmart in the south side of Atlanta that still sells firearms, if it's a better deal I would buy from Walmart.