OTG Hunting...

swamp hunter

Count me in. :cheers:
Elmer fudd, Thats for that Grunt Trick Tip. I,ll be trying that.:D
Nick, Get a Monopod and a Chair without Armrests and a Swivel Base. Half them Deer come from the side even if they ain,t supposed to. Pivot and shoot.:cool:
In Planted Pines It,s the Go to way to hunt. Some Creek Bottoms it,s Proper too.
Sure beats lookin for the Perfect Tree and then only seeing 2 Trails.:banginghe
I took a 6 year old 168 pd. Doe Monday pm OTG.:clap:

Attachments

• Huntin Chair 001.jpg
    Huntin Chair 001.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 1,050

jbemory

Is it worth the price

I like hunting from the ground more and more. It is way less hassle than setting up a stand and gives you lots of options.
I still hunt some from tree stands, mostly ladders and big comfortable climbers but ground hunting is winning me over.
I have been using one of these seats this year and it has really been nice.

I just went on the web site. It looks like just what I need but it's a little pricey. Is it worth it? Is it comfortable? I had back surgery in 2006 and am back to 90 % so I'm not crippled but it does need to be comfortable. What is the longest you have sat in it at one time? Any feedback is appreciated.

jmharris23

jmharris23

I just went on the web site. It looks like just what I need but it's a little pricey. Is it worth it? Is it comfortable? I had back surgery in 2006 and am back to 90 % so I'm not crippled but it does need to be comfortable. What is the longest you have sat in it at one time? Any feedback is appreciated.

As I told Nick, I love mine. It's the best hunting related item I have purchased in a while. It is very comfortable and the longest I have been in it was about 3 hours, and I was just as comfortable when I got out as I was when I got in.

CollinsCraft77

Guys, went back to spot this morning hunting some meat. I'm not much on horns

On the ground in the mountain laurel overlooking a creek bottom. Three does. Maybe 15 yards. Let's just say I have meat. Someone else posted how deer do look bigger from the ground. That's something I find to be true as well.

Don't know about you southern state boys or flat landers as we call ya, but up here with all the hills, 3/4 the way up a ridge can sometimes be higher than any deer stand need be.

It's all in the perspective. :cool:

mtr3333

Banned
I hunt from the ground until I find a place where too many deer can pick me off on the ground. Then I use the climber.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I hunt OTG all the time. I've had success and failures. The very close encounters are what it's all about. I typically use a chair or a home built wooden ground blind.

jimmyb

It all depend on the type of woods for me and my son he has sat on the ground mostly this year where he has been sittin they walk on top of him in a old ditch.He.has had 3 deer all bucks @6 yards one of them was a few feet from him.

TurkeyKiller12

Nick, Get a Monopod and a Chair without Armrests and a Swivel Base. Half them Deer come from the side even if they ain,t supposed to. Pivot and shoot.:cool:
In Planted Pines It,s the Go to way to hunt. Some Creek Bottoms it,s Proper too.

Where does a person look into purchasing a chair like you got there. Does it have a swivel base? 'Preciate the help!:flag:

albridges

Nice look on that setup Nic, what are the specs on that rifle?

I`ve come full circle. When I started deer huntin`, there weren`t any such thing as a climbin` stand, that we had ever heard of, so we hunted deer the same way we hunted turkeys. Backed up agin a tree. Then when stands came out we got all slicked up with em. I ended up with a job where I climbed for a livin`, wore out a knee, and now I can`t climb at all. So, I rigged myself up with a chair several years ago. I like it purty well.

Swamp, did that chair come from Sportsmans Guide?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nice look on that setup Nic, what are the specs on that rifle?

Swamp, did that chair come from Sportsmans Guide?

Thanks, that`s my Browning Model 1885 High Wall. Single shot fallin` block action, 28 inch octagon barrel, 270 caliber. It and my flintlock longrifle are my two primary deer rifles.

albridges

Fine Firearm you have there :cheers:

Thanks, that`s my Browning Model 1885 High Wall. Single shot fallin` block action, 28 inch octagon barrel, 270 caliber. It and my flintlock longrifle are my two primary deer rifles.

sogafishin

I sat on the ground this evening.Had two does come in and one within 20ft of me.Stared me down and just eased away.Killed a good 7 point on the ground friday.

Attachments

• deer cotton.jpg
    deer cotton.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 389

Sargent

I like hunting from the ground more and more. It is way less hassle than setting up a stand and gives you lots of options.
I still hunt some from tree stands, mostly ladders and big comfortable climbers but ground hunting is winning me over.
I have been using one of these seats this year and it has really been nice.

Frank, that looks like a mighty nice setup. Gonna have to look into one of those.

It is well worth it.

Pretty comfortable, too.

shane256

I hunt OTG a lot. I got my two biggest bucks while OTG. I shot at the biggest buck I've ever seen last Wednesday morning (I had a borrowed rifle, it was off sight... 4" to the right and 2" high at 80yds... my shot was 160yds) from the ground. I killed a doe last Wednesday afternoon on the ground (after sighting that borrowed rifle in during lunch)... they came out at about 300yds and walked all the way to 80yds from me and I went ahead and got one then rather than risk coming closer. All Wednesday I was sitting in a WalMart folding cloth chair that was orange (the kind you can fold up into a tube... has arm rests with drink rests)... on the side of a bushhogged lane.

Last year, my wife got me one of those Millenium tree seats you can strap to the side of a tree and I use it now when I'm in the woods (doesn't work on the lane I mentioned above... no trees where you can see the lane... too much tall grass and stuff)... I've gotten deer from it.

I've had deer, literally, come close enough to me I could poke them with my gun barrel while sitting OTG (many times... a couple dozen times at least) and many times within 10yds... just gotta have the wind right. My dad grabbed a doe's back leg once when she walked up from behind him and sniffed his boot (he will never do that again!)

My folks/friends and I have killed, easily, a hundred deer from the ground (very likely a few times that many).

Hunting from the ground isn't that hard... you just have to be patient and keep mindful of the wind. You can't run around and stuff... you have to slip around and watch carefully.