How much ammonium nitrate do I need to put down?

Handgunner

They are calling for rain Tuesday night and wednesday down here and my plots are needing fertilizer.

Here are their sizes, how much do you think I need to put down on each? None have ever been fertilized, so this will be the first application.

Plot 1 -- 15 yards wide x 217 yards long -- near pines and a corn field.

Plot 2 -- 12 feet wide x 125 yards long -- between two stands of pines.

Plot 3 -- 16 foot wide x 150 yards long -- big field, with hardwoods at the top, lake and scattered pines at the bottom.

Plot 4 -- 20 foot wide x 75 yards long -- between two stands of pines.

All are planted with oats and wheat only. All plots see a fair amount of sunlight, with the two biggest ones, 1 & 3, seeing the most.

Thanks in advance!

gadeerwoman

Delton, I put around 100 lbs on a 1/2 acre this weekend where I have some brassicas and wheat. Better to go a little light and hit it a couple times when it comes to 34-0-0 that go too heavy and get only a light rain if any in my opinion. I've burnt stuff slap up before with too much nitrogen and little rain so now I go with several applications instead of just 1.

CAL

Delton,
I would put 200 lbs.on #1,30 lbs.on #2,50 lbs.on #3 and 30 lbs.on #4 of 13-13-13.
That is figuring the rate at 300 lbs./acre.
Width(ft) X length(ft)=square feet. divided by 43,560sq.ft.=acres X 300 lbs./acre= amount needed.I went with triple 13 because the analysis is stronger.

Handgunner

Thanks y'all. According to what the weather does, I should be putting some out Wednesday.

Come on RAIN! ::;

Jorge

Delton,

I would put down about 70lbs. to the acre of the element in two doses. One now and one in the early spring if you like. Assuming you are talking about 34-0-0, that would be about 150 lbs on plot 1, about 25 lbs on plot 2, 35 lbs on plot 3 and 25 lbs on plot 4.

Handgunner

Thanks y'all. Next question. I've heard to put it down after the rain so that it could absorb better and not be washed away or diluted.

What are your opinions?

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Delt: I would prefer to apply Ammonium Nitrate prior to a rain unless there were indictions of heavy rain approaching. In that case I would not apply the material until the next threat of rain.

Rain is currently approaching from the west which is shown to have heavy rain embedded in the system. In my opinion this would be a poor risk for you.

If your plots are on some slope, heavy rain will likely carry some of your nitrogen away before it can soak into the soil.

The recent rains in N. Ga. have been slow and lasted an entire day, yet producing only about one half inch. This is the type rain that you would hope to get on your nitrogen.

Handgunner

Thanks Vernon... I only have one plot that is flat, so I may just put the ammonium to it and wait on the rest.

Would putting it out after the rains and letting the dew melt it work?

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ammonium Nitrate

Not recommended Delton. One heavy dew would melt it and two factors would then come into play: You would loose some of it's strength since it is somewhat volatile. It evaporates if not incorporated by tillage or rainfall. (2). with it in solution and remaining on top of the ground, it is highly likely that you would get fertilizer burn, thus loosing some of your crop.

gadeerwoman

Definite NO to putting it out after the rain and letting it sit on the plants. You can get a very quick kill of your plot if high nitrogen fertilizer clings to the leaves and doesn't get washed down. It's like taking a blowtorch to it. That's why unless I have a 100% forecast of a good rain I go easy on 34-0-0. I've had the misfortune to have the rains go around me several times after I hit a plot with 34-0-0 when the plot was only a couple inches tall and within two weeks it looked like it had been sprayed with roundup. Dew won't be enough moisture to do more than cause the fertilizer to stick to the leaves....not what you want.

Handgunner

Thanks Vernon and Sandra.

I know we are getting HAMMERED with rain right now....... possible tornado's as well.

I'm sure the deer are bedded, when it lets up, will be a fine time watching the oats, wheat, and rye..... :D

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm sure that your Ammonium Nitrate is either in the barn or in the creek, you didn't say which. Hope it is in the barn.

Handgunner

Neither right now, Sir. I figure it best to stay at the feed and seed until I needed it.

I'd rather only handle it once. :)

We did get a TON of rain though, had I put it down, I'm sure the lower pines and bottoms woud have appreciated it.

smitty

34-0-0

I put 200 lbs out wensday,a good rain came along and washed it in then thursday it rained for 8 hours .looks as if the stuff helped yesterday it was green anyway it had 10 hours or so it soak in after the rain the night before we needed that long downpour as the well at the club has been running dry every other week

Handgunner

Today and tomorrow looks to be a good chance of rain, I'll be putting it out this evening!

smitty

nitrate

My plots looked pretty good as of yesterday!Still some patches not as green as others but there being hammered by the deer now.The various greens I planted our finally being eaten as well as the winter peas,since the acorns are gone now with the colder weather expected next week maybe the deer will utlize the plots more in the daytime...

Handgunner

My plots looked pretty good as of yesterday!Still some patches not as green as others but there being hammered by the deer now.The various greens I planted our finally being eaten as well as the winter peas,since the acorns are gone now with the colder weather expected next week maybe the deer will utlize the plots more in the daytime...
Everything went as planned. I got 3 of the 4 plots fertilized with 34-0-0 and it rained for about 3-4 hours last night, then the sun came out.

Unless something just major happens, my plots should be good to go! ::;