GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Outdoor Facts, History, and Oddities of Nature
Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 PM

If you poured the money to Georgia DNR , They'd be waving the Panther Flag at the Court house in a day.Millions.
And don't forget about all the new Government jobs either.
Yes we are way over populated with Cats, and the Hogs are gone and the deer are way , way down.
When I first started paying attention we were harvesting over 600 deer a year in Big Cypress . Last years harvest was around 75 deer , and ONE Hog.
We're due for a Cat Crash soon. Kitten survival rates are going to plummet until everything balances out.
I enjoy seeing the Cats..it's freakin cool, but when the Cats do make it up ya'lls way your deer are going to get whipped hard.
We call Feeders.Killling Fields, Food plots will get a bunch more interesting..
It will balance out up there as well...bout 2075.
Bill Collector...Hendry County is nothing but High Dollar Leases..7 to 10 K a year. They take good care of their Herd and do have some decent Bucks. I grew up hunting there and use to know it well. Lykes Brothers is the name there.
If you ever are out in the Shipping Lanes pay attention as them 800 foot Freighters slip on by, lot's of them say Lykes on the side.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBTJTALLY1 View Post
Again; just going by posts on GON regarding deer numbers. Secondly, my remarks were regarding Florida and everyone's doubt that South Florida has been hit hard by large predators.

If DNR is not a friend of the environmentals then you're all lucky. Florida sure is. I've said in the past, I wish Florida was run half as good as Georgia.
I just noticed you live in Tallahassee. I spent a good bit of the 70s in Wakulla Co. hunting bobcat with hounds in mainly Franklin Co. There were literally millions of acres from Perry Fla. to Panama City open to hunting for the public back then...Buckeye and St Joe land (5 dollars a year for a pass for each of those companies). We hunted with hounds there year round, you could do that for cats. We never once ran a panther...ran lots of bears but never a panther. My grand daddy, who was a life long houndsman moved there in the late 50s but hunted that region since the 30s. He said in all his years of cat hunting with hounds he only struck one panther and that was in the 40s during a field trial down around Orlando. Wakulla County was the least populated county in Fla. in the 70s and the area from Port St Joe on the coast over to Perry is still one of the least populated areas in Fla. Wakulla Co., at least the northern part, is now largely a suburb of Tallahassee. I trapped bobcats and fox in that area too until they outlawed leg hold traps in Fla. in the mid-late 70s, much to my grand daddy's displeasure (me trapping, like I said he was a life long houndsman). I never once saw any panther sign. I have seen panther sign in South West Fla. but not in N. Fla. In the 70s, if there was anywhere in Fla outside of SW Fla. that had a cat population, it would have been from Perry to Apalachicola. Out of over 10 years of me hunting cats in that area regularly, year round with hounds, I never saw hide nor hair of a panther...nor any panther sign. Must have run a hundred bears in that time...but no big cats. Even living in sowega I was still hunting Buckeye and St Joe land with hounds at least once a week.

Last edited by redneck_billcollector; 05-17-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp hunter View Post
If you poured the money to Georgia DNR , They'd be waving the Panther Flag at the Court house in a day.Millions.
And don't forget about all the new Government jobs either.
Yes we are way over populated with Cats, and the Hogs are gone and the deer are way , way down.
When I first started paying attention we were harvesting over 600 deer a year in Big Cypress . Last years harvest was around 75 deer , and ONE Hog.
We're due for a Cat Crash soon. Kitten survival rates are going to plummet until everything balances out.
I enjoy seeing the Cats..it's freakin cool, but when the Cats do make it up ya'lls way your deer are going to get whipped hard.
We call Feeders.Killling Fields, Food plots will get a bunch more interesting..
It will balance out up there as well...bout 2075.
Bill Collector...Hendry County is nothing but High Dollar Leases..7 to 10 K a year. They take good care of their Herd and do have some decent Bucks. I grew up hunting there and use to know it well. Lykes Brothers is the name there.
If you ever are out in the Shipping Lanes pay attention as them 800 foot Freighters slip on by, lot's of them say Lykes on the side.
It has now been confirmed, the female panther north of the Caloosahatchee has had at least two kittens or cubs...or whatever you want to call them. They have them on a trail cam.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM

http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/deer/project/ An interesting study which is on going with regards to the deer population and predation in the heart of florida panther country. The level of predation does not seem as high as I would have thought. Plus it seems after the panther, bobcats are the number two predator with bears and alligators lagging behind cats. Since 2015 they keep around 100 plus deer collared with gps systems and study the mortality and its causes of the deer and publish the results each quarter. The UGA is helping with this study. They also have been running 180 trail cams and at present have over 30k images of deer in the two years of the study.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 PM

I've seen the collared does and I think most of them got wiped out pretty quick. Harvest Data on Deer and Hog kills by hunters ahs pretty much reached rock bottom.600 Bucks and 2 to 300 hogs per year when I first started paying attention. Last years data , 93 Bucks and Zero hogs.
We only started with 1.2 deer per square mile before Cats ..
My local deer hunting is about gone.
Taylor County Fla. has 3 things..way more deer , Dry ground , and my Camp.
NPS , USFW ,and Eco groups have won. We're the Crash Test Dummy's on Panther reintroduction.