GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Bear Hunting
Notices



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-25-2017, 01:55 PM
CowetaLonghorn CowetaLonghorn is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Newnan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Which WMA?

Hope everyone is well. I am planning a few short days camping up in Vogel State Park from Oct 9-14 and plan on hunting every day on one of the WMAs between Coopers, Chestatee, or Blue Ridge. Was interested to hear from you all which seems to have the best bear or deer population. Or if they're all about the same. I'd like to take either a bear or deer. I'll be hiking as many miles as it takes and will prob bring my climber along with me in case I find a good spot to set up. I am familiar with the area and have done a lot of hiking up there but have never been on the wmas or bear hunted at all. I would assume would need to get up high and find the acorns on the ground. Would think they would mostly be on the ground by then. Not looking for specifics but was wondering how crowded each would be during the week and the game population of each. Thanks for any info you guys could provide.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:12 PM
northgeorgiasportsman's Avatar
northgeorgiasportsman northgeorgiasportsman is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blairsville
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

They shouldn't be crowded at all. You'll be just a short drive from either Coopers or Chestatee.
__________________
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.
Teddy Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Gerrik's Avatar
Gerrik Gerrik is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Norcross, Ga
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I've seen more bear sign on Chestatee, than coopers. But, I've SEEN more bears on Blue Ridge. And more deer.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 PM
CowetaLonghorn CowetaLonghorn is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Newnan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Thanks a lot guys really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:55 PM
HunterJoe24's Avatar
HunterJoe24 HunterJoe24 is offline
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

You can hunt in the National Forest around vogel. They have some good bears there too. Just ask hikers where they are seeing bears( here's a tip: don't let them know you are hunting and they'll be more likely to tell you)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2017, 03:32 PM
CowetaLonghorn CowetaLonghorn is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Newnan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

This actually crossed my mind. I've hiked a lot in Vogel so I'm familiar with the trails in it. I know it backs up to CNF and I've seen the signs. Am I allowed to access the NF through the park? Not sure how that works if I'm carrying my bow through the park. I've had a lot of encounters with bears in the park.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-25-2017, 03:54 PM
HunterJoe24's Avatar
HunterJoe24 HunterJoe24 is offline
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowetaLonghorn View Post
This actually crossed my mind. I've hiked a lot in Vogel so I'm familiar with the trails in it. I know it backs up to CNF and I've seen the signs. Am I allowed to access the NF through the park? Not sure how that works if I'm carrying my bow through the park. I've had a lot of encounters with bears in the park.
Yeah you can access the NF through the park. Just make sure to make it look like you aren't hunting in the park at all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-25-2017, 05:22 PM
Killer Kyle's Avatar
Killer Kyle Killer Kyle is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Banks Co. / N.E. GA Mountains
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I am not familiar with Cooper's Creek or Chestatee, but I can say hands down that I see far more deer on Blue Ridge than I see on Chattahoochee and Swallow Creek, ad well as most of the places I hunt in Towns and Rabun Counties. Lots of places on blue ridge just look different. The woods look different. Maybe more young. If hunting around Vogel, I'd try to locate some big leads heading down towards the park. Vogel has long had an issue with problem bears that come in to attempt to take food and trash. If you hit some of those leads coming down, I'll bet you'll find some trails. White oaks will probably be the game still since they'll mostly still be good at that time. If you don't already know, make sure you can differentiate between white oaks and chestnut oaks. Chestnut oaks are big and look tempting to hunt, but they are favored least by the animals. The only real times animals will feed on them even remotely are in the dead of winter during a lean mast year. Usually red oaks are the game at that time.
__________________
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2017, 05:48 PM
CowetaLonghorn CowetaLonghorn is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Newnan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
I am not familiar with Cooper's Creek or Chestatee, but I can say hands down that I see far more deer on Blue Ridge than I see on Chattahoochee and Swallow Creek, ad well as most of the places I hunt in Towns and Rabun Counties. Lots of places on blue ridge just look different. The woods look different. Maybe more young. If hunting around Vogel, I'd try to locate some big leads heading down towards the park. Vogel has long had an issue with problem bears that come in to attempt to take food and trash. If you hit some of those leads coming down, I'll bet you'll find some trails. White oaks will probably be the game still since they'll mostly still be good at that time. If you don't already know, make sure you can differentiate between white oaks and chestnut oaks. Chestnut oaks are big and look tempting to hunt, but they are favored least by the animals. The only real times animals will feed on them even remotely are in the dead of winter during a lean mast year. Usually red oaks are the game at that time.
Wow Kyle thanks a lot. Great advice. I can differentiate between the oaks and can identify some bear sign just from hiking up around Vogel for the last 30 years but as I mentioned before never hunted a bear. I am a big deer hunter and know there are a lot of similarities. I guess the plan will be to get up as high as I can behind the park and traverse ridges looking for heavy leads and follow those looking for acorns and trails.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:00 PM
ddd-shooter ddd-shooter is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: earth
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

If I were hunting above Vogel, I might drive up 180 towards wolf pen gap. About a mile or so past the park, there's a nice little old road in the bend of a hard switchback curve. Much better than trying to go through a park and you should still be able to walk above the area. If I'm not mistaken, you cannot hunt a state park, and using it to access an area is a major gray area I'd avoid.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 PM
CowetaLonghorn CowetaLonghorn is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Newnan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd-shooter View Post
If I were hunting above Vogel, I might drive up 180 towards wolf pen gap. About a mile or so past the park, there's a nice little old road in the bend of a hard switchback curve. Much better than trying to go through a park and you should still be able to walk above the area. If I'm not mistaken, you cannot hunt a state park, and using it to access an area is a major gray area I'd avoid.
Right. Certainly can't hunt the state park there. Good point and I will def check it out up 180 thanks a lot for the pointers. I think I know where you are speaking of also.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-02-2017, 08:52 PM
ddd-shooter ddd-shooter is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: earth
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Actually saw a bear just above the park on 180 yesterday evening. About 100 lbs.
Get up here and kill one. Lol
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger