Cooper Creek parent/child

Killer Kyle

I don't want to derail the thread, but I think you were taught wrong. It's either a brain shot resulting in instant death, or it could be any number of other tragic failures. More than one deer has died an agonizing death by starvation while missing a lower jaw or the end of its nose.

Northgasportsmsn, if you want to learn how to derail a thread, just break out that pen and paper and take some notes. I've had a habit of that lately it seems!

jbogg

Or you might take a free handed head shot and miss a big ol' boar hog like....ahem.....a guy.....uuhhh...a guy I know did last turkey season. facepalm:
But he did learn his lesson. He walked up on a group of hogs on August 25th, and all he had was a head shot on a big black pig. He couldn't get steady aim on the dome, so he held off and didn't shoot.
I'm speaking of a friend, and not myself of course. I never miss.
Don't you say one word John!!!!

Kyle I did not see a thing. You just had a case of buck...I mean hog fever. God knows I have lost my share of animals over the last thirty years of hunting, but it just seems to me that there are better options than a head shot.

twincedargap

Head shots are arrogance or ignorance, both show lack of respect for the quarry. Sooner or later an animal will suffer.

tree cutter 08

I know a lot of folks will argue with head shots but if I had to guess, far more are lost from bad body shots. What few animals I've lost have been shot behind the shoulder or more than likely, to far back. I don't strive for a head shot but if the opportunity presents itself I will take it and so far had good success.

Timberman

Head, neck or chest it's all good to me.

Moving on I'm wondering if this is why we didn't see anything last week...

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 172

The mtn man

I know a lot of folks will argue with head shots but if I had to guess, far more are lost from bad body shots. What few animals I've lost have been shot behind the shoulder or more than likely, to far back. I don't strive for a head shot but if the opportunity presents itself I will take it and so far had good success.

Im with you. If i said i had never shot a bear or hog in the head, id be lieing. A treed bear with dogs under it, a head shot is the best option if possible, head shot bear, means no chewed up or dead dogs.

Dana Young

Im with you. If i said i had never shot a bear or hog in the head, id be lieing. A treed bear with dogs under it, a head shot is the best option if possible, head shot bear, means no chewed up or dead dogs.

me to no tracking or lost animals to rot. You just have to be a good shot like us mtn men