; Scope troubles - Page 2 - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Muzzleloading

Old 12-31-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rance56 View Post
my mz was all over the place. came home, remounted and made sure everything was tight, solved my issue right away
My issue is that my rifle will drive tacks (for it's pricerange) while at the range. I can cloverleaf my groups at the range with no problem. The problem arises when I've hunted a month or two with it, miss or foul up a shot, then go to the range to check it, and it's off. Do you think it still could be the rings and mount? Maybe I'm getting good groups, but a slight bump throws it off? I guess I'll maybe go to the range, make sure my zero is good, then maybe do a light "torture test". Maybe knock the scope around a little, shake it, handle it, and take it back to the range to try again? Buying some powder and some bullets is a whole lot cheaper than buying a new scope. Maybe I'll give that a shot and see what happens. I did already look at some scopes at Academy the other day. Put my hands on a lot of them, and liked a lot of them. If I do have to go with a new scope, I think I am going with the Nikon Pro Hunter 3-9x40. It is small and light, has a great reticle, won't break the bank, and has the Nikon warranty. I really liked that scope a lot, and the clarity I saw from it was like night and day from the scope I have on the rifle now.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:57 PM

I guess its possible, I know it is on centerfire but I wander if the stock is warping some due to temp changes and throwing you off. U say it shoots good at the range but off later on. We all sight in and shoot in advance to deer season. Its warm weather then. When season roles around its a good bit colder. Maybe change in temp is flexing stock and changing poi. I free float all my hunting guns for that very reason and have had that happen in the past. Also some powder can be temperature sensitive and may shoot differently with different temps. Not sure if that would apply to muzzleloader but its definitely things to look at with a centerfire. But I still think scope would be a good place to start. Its money you won't regret spending next time you cut down on something!
Old 12-31-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree cutter 08 View Post
I guess its possible, I know it is on centerfire but I wander if the stock is warping some due to temp changes and throwing you off. U say it shoots good at the range but off later on. We all sight in and shoot in advance to deer season. Its warm weather then. When season roles around its a good bit colder. Maybe change in temp is flexing stock and changing poi. I free float all my hunting guns for that very reason and have had that happen in the past. Also some powder can be temperature sensitive and may shoot differently with different temps. Not sure if that would apply to muzzleloader but its definitely things to look at with a centerfire. But I still think scope would be a good place to start. Its money you won't regret spending next time you cut down on something!
That's true. I might just go ahead and sight my rifle in with a new scope and the BH209 powder I've had and been meaning to use. Guess I need to get a scale so I can measure the powder precisely.
You're right cutter. Most of the game I've cut down on this season has run off! Ha! After all the energy spent and miles walked, I can't afford to be doing that anymore!