GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Outdoor Facts, History, and Oddities of Nature
Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBM View Post
The Federals lost about 34% of their troops at Olustee and it was the second bloodiest battle of the war for them. That's about 265 out of 1000. I don't know if it was the third highest casualty rate or not but the Federal losses were the result of fixed entrenched positioning or prepared fighting positions. The GA and FL infantry moved from those initial fixed positions forward to drive the Federals from the field or maybe I should say from the Pine forest. It like a lot battles fought late in the war (think of Cold Harbor) used entrenchments and was the forerunner of what was to come in the trenches of WWI.
Are the trenches still there?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resica View Post
Are the trenches still there?
I don't know. I have not been to the battlefield. Its in North FL near I90. I have not been able to find any mention of the entrenchments beyond the actual battle from the State Park Service or the reenactments on the web. The reenactment groups mention reenacting entrenchments but whether or not those are the original I can't say but I do doubt it. I doubt the park service would allow reenactments on the actual battlefield itself. There is a reenactment area. The actual entrenchments might still be there if they have been preserved. But the battle was not fought from the entrenchments. It was fought forward of the entrenchments. You might glean something from this site sifting through the links.

http://www.battleofolustee.org/

http://www.battleofolustee.org/battle.html

Most of the accounts I have read on the web are the short versions of the battle. The one in the above link is no different. Maybe I should have said the events surrounding the actual battle was over a three day period but the battle itself was about five hours. It takes time to build entrenchments and get 5,000 men into the line and position. On the other side it takes time to feed 5,500 men into the line and position. Add cavalry and artillery. I did find in the links that the Federal cavalry was blunted by the FL and GA cavalry and the Federal artillery (some of it) was overrun and captured. So my memory isn't that bad...yet. LOL

Last edited by RBM; 10-23-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the info. Would like the ability to go back in time and witness all of these battles in person as an observer, not a combatant.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Would like the ability to go back in time and witness all of these battles in person as an observer, not a combatant.
Provost Marshall would have you in rank in no time!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:56 PM

This tour guide service for the battlefield mentions Confederate trench remains. So it seems likely they are still there if they are a point of interest in the tour.

http://www.floridaconfederate.com/default.asp?10
Old 10-26-2015, 07:23 PM

Up here in NW Metro Atl. from Paulding County eastward to Kennesaw Mountain and beyond literally every hill was defended.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:41 PM

Olustee would later give way to Cold Harbor trenches or earthworks. Grant had big trouble in the Overland or Wilderness Campaign where he lost around 55,000 and on the other side 33,600. While Grant could replace the losses and Lee could not, Grant's problem was those used for replacements. Green unseasoned troops and artillery troops scraped from Washington D.C.'s defenses hardly constitute real seasoned regular infantry. Lee had Hoke's men and others brought up from State defenses that were seasoned regular troops in strong defensive positions. So Grant's troops got slaughtered at Cold Harbor. He outnumbered Lee by almost twice as many but lost 12,737 to Lee's 5,287.

Last edited by RBM; 10-26-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:20 PM

Have been to Olustee many times and have worked a good bit in the Osceola Forest around there. Never heard of any surviving trenches--but there could be some.

Most of that area was completely cleared after the war and replanted in pines for turpentine. Hardly a square inch in that whole forest has been left alone. I'd be real interested to see those trenches they're talking about.

Apparently all of the dead US troops (mostly black guys) were buried in big mass graves near where they fell. At least one of these pits is right beneath the field where they hold the annual reenactment.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton Hicks View Post
Have been to Olustee many times and have worked a good bit in the Osceola Forest around there. Never heard of any surviving trenches--but there could be some.

Most of that area was completely cleared after the war and replanted in pines for turpentine. Hardly a square inch in that whole forest has been left alone. I'd be real interested to see those trenches they're talking about.

Apparently all of the dead US troops (mostly black guys) were buried in big mass graves near where they fell. At least one of these pits is right beneath the field where they hold the annual reenactment.
I haven't been there to see the trenches either. But unless they were very deep walking depth trenches they would be no more in appearance than a terrace today.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:56 PM

Map of the Battle of Olustee (also called Ocean Pond). Based on a sketch by Confederate Lieutenant M. B. Grant. If the map can be trusted as being accurate.

Notice the "Proposed line of work" outlined in red. This was in front of the Olustee Station and far back from the battlefield. This is suppose to be the trench work line running from Ocean Pond and just behind and along the "Impracticable Cypress Pond" more than likely swamp or bayhead. There are two bayheads located above the battlefield and marked as BAY.

http://www.museumoffloridahistory.co...ar/olustee.cfm

Last edited by RBM; 10-27-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcobbdog View Post
Provost Marshall would have you in rank in no time!
Indeed.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBM View Post
Olustee would later give way to Cold Harbor trenches or earthworks. Grant had big trouble in the Overland or Wilderness Campaign where he lost around 55,000 and on the other side 33,600. While Grant could replace the losses and Lee could not, Grant's problem was those used for replacements. Green unseasoned troops and artillery troops scraped from Washington D.C.'s defenses hardly constitute real seasoned regular infantry. Lee had Hoke's men and others brought up from State defenses that were seasoned regular troops in strong defensive positions. So Grant's troops got slaughtered at Cold Harbor. He outnumbered Lee by almost twice as many but lost 12,737 to Lee's 5,287.
Frontal assaults seem to do that to the attacker.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Frontal assaults seem to do that to the attacker.
I agree. Grant did what he always did against Lee first. He hit Lee's flank that failed of course. Lee should have been used to it by then and knew what Grant was going to do. Then Grant made the frontal assault. Even Grant said afterward that last frontal assault should never have been made.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 AM

This CSA General Officer was clipped by a minnie behind the knee and bled to death after sending his surgeon off to assist wounded yanks.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Retired Moderator

Cobb,
Sorry I dont know that answer.

For any who are interested go to

https://www.youtube.com/

Search for Julius Howell. He was a Confederate soldier who lived well into the 1900s and was recorded giving his memories of the activities of his service. There are several videos of him and some other related videos at that search page.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Milk, think early in the war.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
This CSA General Officer was clipped by a minnie behind the knee and bled to death after sending his surgeon off to assist wounded yanks.
Quote:
Milk, think early in the war.
General Bea at Manassas ?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:15 PM

Think Shiloh.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Retired Moderator

Well now that I have been spoon fed the answer it must be General Albert Sydney Johnson.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:34 PM

He would have won some big battles for sure.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 AM

This fella was surprised by Pope and lost his hat. Later he captured part of John Pope's train's with his hat and dress coat included. He proposed a trade.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:22 PM

This man captured a yank general by slapping him on the buttocks to wake him up, who did the slappin'?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
This fella was surprised by Pope and lost his hat. Later he captured part of John Pope's train's with his hat and dress coat included. He proposed a trade.
Jeb Stuart?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
This man captured a yank general by slapping him on the buttocks to wake him up, who did the slappin'?
General Mosby?
Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 PM

yep you got em' both Resica, congrats.