; Blast from the past- old tobacco barn - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Outdoor Facts, History, and Oddities of Nature

Old 05-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Default Blast from the past- old tobacco barn

I was home at my parent's house in Mullins, SC over the weekend and took some time to explore around my dad's farm. Discovered an old curing tobacco barn that I never knew existed. Surprisingly, it was in really good shape. Here are a few pics. Also, took a pic of the old Walters Tobacco Company processing warehouse. Sad to see such neat structures being eroded by time.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2017, 07:02 PM

I've put many of a day in ones like the top barn ... fell out a couple times too ...

Nice photos ...
Old 05-09-2017, 07:13 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

That brings back a lot of memories. Ain`t that right, Jimmy!
Old 05-10-2017, 01:38 AM

Sure does Nic ...

It was "fun" getting those sticks of tobacco up in the crow's roost ... the short tier poles in the peak of the roof ...

I had bad words for the flue pipes of the old coal/wood fired barns ... until I slipped off a tier pole and landed flat of my back on one ... I walked away sore ... but the out come could have ended much different...
Old 05-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Yeah, I remember those days well. I've hung a many of sticks in those type barns as well & cropped a many a row of tobacco.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:20 AM

A booger to hang but fun to unload.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

This tie horse is older`n me. The baccer sticks still smell like flue cured baccer, and it`s been over 25 years since we`ve grown any.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
This tie horse is older`n me. The baccer sticks still smell like flue cured baccer, and it`s been over 25 years since we`ve grown any.
That is pretty cool! Not too many people would know what that is.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Administrator

I've spent many of a hot day up on the top tier of a bakker barn.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:21 PM

I had the pleasure of working in the tobacco warehouse during the summers. While it was hard, hot work, it was nothing like my friends who spent their summers in the field suckering and croppin tobacco. I did that a few times and thought that suckerin tobacco was the worst job on the planet.

I remember my dad riding me out to the farm at night after dinner and all of the workers and their whole family would be loading up those barns after croppin tobacco all day long. It was definitely a family affair.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:38 PM

We'd haul water out of the creek in tar barrels (the night before)... dump with foot tubs into the floor of the barn ...to get the tobacco "in order" ... then get up at 4am and take out the tobacco ... just in time to put a full barn again that same day...
Old 05-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Patrolling The Halls At Night

As a kid. I help tear down 2 for the wood. I pulled nails.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarPatch99 View Post
We'd haul water out of the creek in tar barrels (the night before)... dump with foot tubs into the floor of the barn ...to get the tobacco "in order" ... then get up at 4am and take out the tobacco ... just in time to put a full barn again that same day...
Yeah taking out a barn of tobacco before the day even got going wasn't unusual back in those ol stick days. I cherish those days & glad to have experienced them but I didn't look forward to getting up early enough to empty a barn before the day's harvest when I was a young'n.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:53 AM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

I liked all but the suckering. That was the most tiresome, aggravating work I`ve ever done in my life. Every hour spent doing that was time I could have spent redfin fishing.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I liked all but the suckering. That was the most tiresome, aggravating work I`ve ever done in my life. Every hour spent doing that was time I could have spent redfin fishing.
And the hoeing. And the topping. And the cutting. and etc. We grew burly, so you had about 6-8 whole big stalks of backer, stem, leaves, and all on a stick to hang up there in the tier poles.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Nic I haven't seen one of those ol tie horses in decades, that's exactly the same as we used. Does bring back a lot of fund memories of that time period.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Here is a Log tobacco barn that sits in my back yard ... It was built sometime around 1920 ... I've handed and hung tobacco in it when I was young ... it was wood fired when it was first built ... but later changed to kerosene "Silent Flame" cookers ...

It's life is just about over ... but soon will be a century old before long ... just can't tear it down ...

Old 05-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarPatch99 View Post
Here is a Log tobacco barn that sits in my back yard ... It was built sometime around 1920 ... I've handed and hung tobacco in it when I was young ... it was wood fired when it was first built ... but later changed to kerosene "Silent Flame" cookers ...

It's life is just about over ... but soon will be a century old before long ... just can't tear it down ...

That is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing! You should save some of those logs before they all rot away.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:40 PM

I don't think I could tear it down either BP but if I ever did I'd probably have something built with those logs on the place. Love them kind of ol structures.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:40 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtroad Johnson View Post
Nic I haven't seen one of those ol tie horses in decades, that's exactly the same as we used. Does bring back a lot of fund memories of that time period.
I`m glad I was able to save that one, and an armload of sticks. I wish I had been able to save a sheet or two, but they had about rotted down to nothing.

Jimmy, thank you again for showing me your old barns when I came over. Those are treasures of a time past.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:27 AM

I always like the pictures of old tobacco barns, thanks for posting them. I spent a lot of time in my younger days working in and around those barns and of course harvesting the tobacco from the fields. Long days of tough work suckering, topping, chopping, cropping, grading, tying, stacking, and everything else that went with raising tobacco back in my early life.

Around our area there are quite a few old tobacco barns that have been pretty well preserved over the years. We called the tie horse a looping horse as everyone here always referred to putting the green tobacco on a stick, looping tobacco..It sure was fun to hang two barns of tobacco after a hard day of cropping the stuff and getting it to the barn hands for looping..Then as someone said getup at 3-4 am and take out two barns of tobacco, stack it in the pack house, get breakfast then head to the fields to harvest two or three more barns of the green terror, just depending on how heavy it came off the stalk that week..And while you were cropping you killed every tobacco worm that you saw. Grading tobacco in the fall and getting it ready for market wasn't so bad, actually for me that was one of the easiest jobs with processing tobacco. We had to sort out the leaves into the 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade and then the trash . My Grandpa and another man who worked and grew tobacco would sometimes load up a dual wheeled truck, cover the tobacco with a tarp and head out for Georgia to sell their crop because tobacco was bringing more in Georgia that in NC that year. I guess the 4 day trip was worth it back then, a farmer needed every penny he could earn in those days.. To this day and I am 70 years old I do not miss working in tobacco...My Grandpa's old tobacco barn was a log structure, wood fired and with logs for tear poles also. The round poles were very slick and one had to be careful while hanging the tobacco not to fall off them. I still see some chinking left in the old pole barn in the picture, I have helped my Grandpa chink the tobacco barn many times in the past..I doubt there is much left of my Grandpa's old log tobacco barn now I haven't seen it in many years. Last time I was there it was in bad shape, rotting away with time..

I lived and worked in SC for 35 years, been to Mullins SC many times, used to live just outside Marion SC...

Last edited by Redbow; 05-12-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:43 AM

Redbow mention "chinking" ... That was a job we usually did the first of May ....there was an old clay pit that held some really sticky gray modly clay that was perfect chinking ...

Climbing the inside of the barn ...using the slick tier poles to climb ... We'd drag a ten quart bucket up the sides .... poking that clay into any spot between the logs that the clay had tell out ...

The barns were a falling rock zone as anytime a chunk of that clay could fall out ....I never got hit by any but have had it not very close to my head a time of two .... It was hard as cement after being cooked with the heat ....
Old 05-12-2017, 10:34 AM

Really neat stories here! Working primarily in the warehouse, I miss the smell of tobacco that filled the town for about 4 months every year. We sold tobacco Mon-Thursday. My jobs included helping unload the farmers trucks and laying out the tobacco in rows for sale. On days we sold, I walked along with the sale up and down each row, my job was to be able to quickly dig out the tickets for each pile of tobacco so that the ticket marker could write down the proper sale price. I was around 6 or 7 years old when I started helping on the sale. It was pretty cool hearing that constant hum of the auctioneer, my grandfather (warehouse owner) beating up the buyers to bid higher and the jockeying between the buyers when we would hit a particularly high grade of tobacco. The farmers were always watching intently to see how the sale was going. Many of them would bring their entire family to town that day for the sale. Pretty crazy but the small town of Mullins SC was booming during tobacco times. Now it is pretty much a boarded up ghost town.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Ya'll have me beat. I have seen plenty of those barns and heard many tales growing up in South GA, but by the time I was 16 or so, the farmers I worked for were using the metal gas fired "bulk barns". And I am pushing 60 this year.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:16 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldstick View Post
Ya'll have me beat. I have seen plenty of those barns and heard many tales growing up in South GA, but by the time I was 16 or so, the farmers I worked for were using the metal gas fired "bulk barns". And I am pushing 60 this year.

One of my Uncles got one of those new bulk barns. That thing gave him fits the first year or two till he got the hang of it. He couldn`t get the heat right or something and always ended up with a lot of "swelled stems" . I`ve seen the auctioneer and the buyers tear a sheet apart if they found swelled stems in a sheet of baccer.