GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Bear Hunting
Notices



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 PM
twincedargap's Avatar
twincedargap twincedargap is offline
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Choestoe
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Another how big is this bear I video’d??

So I passed this one up thing he was maybe 175#, but then I noticed how big he belly looked. Was I wrong, how much you guess he weighs?

He has a decent belly....


Here’s the video...

Last edited by twincedargap; 10-15-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2017, 07:06 AM
northgeorgiasportsman's Avatar
northgeorgiasportsman northgeorgiasportsman is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blairsville
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I'd say you were about right. It sure is hard to judge them ain't it?
__________________
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.
Teddy Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2017, 08:46 AM
twincedargap's Avatar
twincedargap twincedargap is offline
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Choestoe
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgeorgiasportsman View Post
I'd say you were about right. It sure is hard to judge them ain't it?
Yes I’ve seen ten this year and other than one, they all looked much smaller than I had expected. Maybe I’m used to tall deer. And I’m hunting from a climber which makes them perhaps shorter and smaller looking too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM
jbogg's Avatar
jbogg jbogg is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I am terrible at judging bears, but I think your close on the weight. The straight on view as he was approaching you shows he's got some size through his neck and shoulders. Like you said, he has a belly on him as well. That's what a month straight of acorns on the menu will do. I was hunting at around 3400' Friday evening and the acorns were still dropping like crazy every few minutes. Reds and Whites!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2017, 01:22 PM
twincedargap's Avatar
twincedargap twincedargap is offline
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Choestoe
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbogg View Post
I am terrible at judging bears, but I think your close on the weight. The straight on view as he was approaching you shows he's got some size through his neck and shoulders. Like you said, he has a belly on him as well. That's what a month straight of acorns on the menu will do. I was hunting at around 3400' Friday evening and the acorns were still dropping like crazy every few minutes. Reds and Whites!
This was about 3150’. Saw three bears in a day and a half working the same tree. I shot at and clean missed a good size one, I figure 250+. I’ll be buying a scope for my muzzle loader. He winded me at 75 yards, came a little closer to 60 yds and stood up sniffing the air, then dropped & turned to run. I thought I had a good bead, but guess I missed him clean. Searched two days. No blood. No bear.

Last edited by twincedargap; 10-16-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2017, 03:24 PM
northgeorgiasportsman's Avatar
northgeorgiasportsman northgeorgiasportsman is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blairsville
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I watched one about this size climbing down out of the top of a massive red oak this morning. Acorn crop is spottier than I thought.
__________________
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.
Teddy Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Killinstuff's Avatar
Killinstuff Killinstuff is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Michigan
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

That bear is hardly over 100#'s. I've helped pull 100's of bears out of the woods and most folks bigeye bears like Roland Martin does a 3 pounders saying "that's a giant 5 pound bass".

The only true way to judge a bear is how is it going to square. Heads are genetic. Some areas just have big headed bears. Other places have big bears with not so big a head. Weigh most times than not just means a fat fall bear. Not unlike a fat lazy person who has a lot of food handy . But a huge guy doesn't have to be a fat guy and most times ain't. Bears are the same way.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2017, 05:05 PM
jbogg's Avatar
jbogg jbogg is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killinstuff View Post
That bear is hardly over 100#'s. I've helped pull 100's of bears out of the woods and most folks bigeye bears like Roland Martin does a 3 pounders saying "that's a giant 5 pound bass".

The only true way to judge a bear is how is it going to square. Heads are genetic. Some areas just have big headed bears. Other places have big bears with not so big a head. Weigh most times than not just means a fat fall bear. Not unlike a fat lazy person who has a lot of food handy . But a huge guy doesn't have to be a fat guy and most times ain't. Bears are the same way.

I would have guessed way over 100 lbs, but I don't have much experience with bears yet. I passed up several this year that were borderline. Definitely do not want to end up paying a fine for an undersized bear.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2017, 05:13 PM
twincedargap's Avatar
twincedargap twincedargap is offline
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Choestoe
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbogg View Post
I would have guessed way over 100 lbs, but I don't have much experience with bears yet. I passed up several this year that were borderline. Definitely do not want to end up paying a fine for an undersized bear.
It was a lot bigger than the one I already shot this year @ ~140#'s , so 100#'s is too light for sure. The 140# had no belly whatsoever and this one def has a pot belly. I"m not saying he's a monster, but def ez over 100#.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-17-2017, 12:04 AM
tree cutter 08's Avatar
tree cutter 08 tree cutter 08 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: White co
iTrader: (28) Check/Add Feedback
Default

My guess would be about 140 or 150
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-20-2017, 11:31 PM
CornStalker's Avatar
CornStalker CornStalker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

It's much more fun to guess at bears' weights than to actually put them on a scale. I'll take 159-1/2 lbs.

Fantastic video, by the way!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2017, 12:19 AM
Unicoidawg's Avatar
Unicoidawg Unicoidawg is offline
Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cleveland
iTrader: (6) Check/Add Feedback
Default

That's perfect dragging size though. 150-175ish
__________________
DAWGS RULE THE REST DROOL!!!!!
You know, you can't fix STUPID

Sometimes it takes a bigger hammer on the dull nails.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger