GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Upland Game Bird Hunting
Notices

Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 AM

I think they are delicious, but if cooked well-done, you might as well eat cafeteria calves liver jerky on a stick. I cook on high heat (500F) until rare to medium rare juicy. I pluck and gut, coat with olive oil. I salt and pepper after cooking. They taste similar to dove and snipe, but much bigger. Slightly different in taste.
I made a vertical rack from a coat hanger for cooking dove, snipe and woodcock at high indirect heat on my grill, lid down, with the meat shielded from direct heat by the iron flat pan. The woodcock is smothered in chanterelles, a meal you can’t legally buy anywhere. Here’s what Steve Bodio says on his blog about the method I use:
“Also notice the color of the cut flesh. Like all good Woodcock (and snipe) cooks, he
sort of passes them through a very hot oven. I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds "taste like liver"- good LIVER doesn't taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter. My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): "As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol."

Old 12-21-2017, 05:00 PM

I used to love to hunt them in East Central Alabama, I have not seen any in years. I always enjoyed watching them fly over the pastures at dusk, from a deer stand. Don't see them anymore.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:20 PM

Strike 2 for Drake and ole Preacher🤣 All we got was WET💦
Old 12-21-2017, 11:38 PM

How did you preserve your chanterelles Gil?
Old 12-22-2017, 05:01 AM

Clean under running tap water to remove grit with a small soft bristle tooth brush and thumb, let air dry briefly for an hour or so on a towel, cut up, saute in olive oil and butter for a few minutes, freeze meal sized (3-4 oz.) portions in vacuum bags and freeze. Thaw and heat bag in stove top hot water and serve. Summer's bounty served throughout the winter.

Last edited by GLS; 12-22-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I think they are delicious, but if cooked well-done, you might as well eat cafeteria calves liver jerky on a stick. I cook on high heat (500F) until rare to medium rare juicy. I pluck and gut, coat with olive oil. I salt and pepper after cooking. They taste similar to dove and snipe, but much bigger. Slightly different in taste.
I made a vertical rack from a coat hanger for cooking dove, snipe and woodcock at high indirect heat on my grill, lid down, with the meat shielded from direct heat by the iron flat pan. The woodcock is smothered in chanterelles, a meal you canít legally buy anywhere. Hereís what Steve Bodio says on his blog about the method I use:
ďAlso notice the color of the cut flesh. Like all good Woodcock (and snipe) cooks, he
sort of passes them through a very hot oven. I get tired of hearing how dark- fleshed birds "taste like liver"- good LIVER doesn't taste like liver when it is cooked rare, turned over quickly in hot bacon fat and butter. My disgusted French- born gourmand friend Guy de la Valdene, after he read an American recipe for woodcock that involved two cans of cream of mushroom soup and an hour and a half in the oven, wrote (in Making Game in 1990): "As this recipe negates the whole reason for killing the birds in the first place, why not take it a step further and poach the Woodcock overnight in equal parts of catsup, pabulum, and Pepto- Bismol."

That looks great, thanks for the info!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Another fast but good way to cook is to filet meat off the breast, disjoint the thighs and legs intact from the backbone and saute quickly in olive oil/butter, salt and pepper. Not much meat is lost, if any, and it is delicious as long as not cooked past medium rare. I do the same with dove every now and then. Gil
Old 12-23-2017, 06:56 AM

After finding them Sunday, we went Monday about 20 miles away to another good spot and didn't find a single one. I don't think they are down here in numbers yet. We need bad weather up north to get them moved in good. Gil
Old 12-24-2017, 05:37 PM

Drake and I agree👌
Old 12-25-2017, 12:38 PM

It's been colder than normal up north (Midwest and northeast) they should be getting here anytime
Old 12-25-2017, 01:34 PM

Merry Christmas from me and Drake
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2017, 05:57 AM

I had an enjoyable armed walk with shots fired yesterday in the woodcock woods. Symbolic of our success, are two chicken eggs as I couldn't find a goose egg. Or the two of us laid eggs. Owning a Harris Tweed hat didn't make me shoot like one of the tweeded set.
I had the company of a friend who can shoot lights out but who would rather my dogs keep quiet about the misses. As he told me "woodcock are not hard to hit, but are easy to miss." In the morning, we found 5 birds and 8 flushes some unattended by us. Once again, the MuttPak did their job quite well and I only lost one pair of glasses fighting for my life through briars and rivercane. Gil
Old 12-27-2017, 08:42 AM

These stories of the hunt and this cold weather sure makes me want to be out there. Hopefully next season I'll be out there too.
Jeff
Old 12-27-2017, 11:56 AM

Help is on the way:
https://weather.com/maps/tendayforecast
Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 AM

Tomorrow in rain and more rain but Drake and I will try it Friday, still waiting on our first visitor from the north
Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM

about 20 years ago I was standing beside a swamp in lamar county right at sundown. The woodcock POURED into that place like they were returning to the mothership. really cool to watch. some flew right over my head.

really want to hunt them some day.

Last edited by Throwback; 12-28-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:05 PM

Today in the rivercane. 5 birds, 10 flushes, 4 collected. The fourth fell out of Floyd's vest when he shucked layers. Jeff's Uggie 20 and My 16 Brun-Latrige. Floyd's gun was shy, but his glove signifies the missing wc.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:02 PM

Our first today. it took 3 miles🤣
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2017, 09:11 PM

Yesterday Drake flushed a herd of wild hogs and he brought this one out and #8's nailed him- Bar B Q for the Georgia game Monday👏
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandrum View Post
Yesterday Drake flushed a herd of wild hogs and he brought this one out and #8's nailed him- Bar B Q for the Georgia game Monday��
The look on his face

"That was a BIG one-my buddies ain't gonna believe this"
Old 12-30-2017, 09:53 PM

That' because he ATE 2 - 20 Guage # 8's
Old 12-31-2017, 06:03 AM

Mike, that's good they are showing up down south. Is the wound on Drake's left front leg the same one he had last year? Gil
Old 12-31-2017, 03:48 PM

Yes Gil, Nothing seems to work, we`very tried steroids salves. Turpentine. Ointments. And IT WILL NOT GO AWAY😷 EVEN put a collar but in three days hee chewed it off
Old 12-31-2017, 08:13 PM

We found 4-5 birds with a half dozen flushes. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it is a previously flushed bird or a new one. Ben did good with his 28 ga. Moracchi O/U. Birds were in some difficult spots. Abby and Willa led the way.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:00 PM

Looks like y’all are having a great time and nice eating size pig , I’ve hunted most everything that can be hunted since I was old enough to shoot a gun and have a question for u woodcock hunters, is a snipe and a woodcock the same bird !