Who makes the best box call?

boparks

I'm paying attention to all the names being mentioned.

The better calls I have are a couple of Albert Paul boxes and a Billy White Hustling Hen

I definitely agree with Hal that this box call has some great sounds in it.

I have a Camp box as well

Dudley Do-Wrong

Box calls are a call that you really need to try before buy if you plan on using one in the woods. I have a number of box calls from various call makers, some, good, some great, some not so good. I have no intention of using any of them in the woods as I bought them as collector's items. I use my own calls in the woods; if I don't I certainly can't expect anyone else to.

I have a friend that recently bought a call from a well known call maker. He bought it based on trying one a friend of his had that he bought at the Nationals. The call place very high in the call making competition. He ordered the exact type of call and specified that he wanted that call to sound the same as the one his friend bought. He was somewhat disappointed in the call he received.

The point in saying this is that call makers cherry pick calls to put into competitions. If they are serious about the competition, they will pick the very best out of the vast amounts they have made. So, that call that highly placed in the competition may have been one out of 20 or 50, or 100. This goes back to the "try before buy".

Dudley Do-Wrong

I'm paying attention to all the names being mentioned.

The better calls I have are a couple of Albert Paul boxes and a Billy White Hustling Hen

I definitely agree with Hal that this box call has some great sounds in it.

I have a Camp box as well

I tried some Albert Paul calls at the nationals, he had one on the table that I wanted to buy but all the calls he had were demos and he was just taking orders. I wanted that specific call but I ended up walking away empty handed.

boparks

I'm still kicking myself for not buying one of his calls that I had in my hand when NWTF was in Atlanta a few years ago.

He had one call that had the best sound from both sides that I've ever had in my hands, but at the time I didn't want to spend the money

Dudley Do-Wrong

I'm still kicking myself for not buying one of his calls that I had in my hand when NWTF was in Atlanta a few years ago.

He had one call that had the best sound from both sides that I've ever had in my hands, but at the time I didn't want to spend the money

Bobby, if you are talking about Albert Paul, I'm sure you could NOT buy the call you had in your hands. From what I have seen and heard, all he has are demo calls at shows which are not for sale themselves. But, the man makes some awesome box calls.

boparks

He actually had several box calls for sale when he the NWTF was in Atlanta. I believe I was there on a Saturday.

This call was $110 -120 ? and he had others on the table for less.
It may be differnt now I don't know.

JW from this forum was with me and he will tell you I still whine about not buying it

The ones I have sound pretty good but nothing like that particular call.

Like you said there's a benefit in buying the one you're running.

I bought a call from Mr Roberts last year at the BPS when he was there and I bought the call and striker that he was running. He called me over twice with it and I was trying not to buy anything.

boparks

I should mention that I bought a very good small box call made out of bamboo from Dickie Champion while at the GON Blast.

rutandstrut

I tried some Albert Paul calls at the nationals, he had one on the table that I wanted to buy but all the calls he had were demos and he was just taking orders. I wanted that specific call but I ended up walking away empty handed.

I have 6 or 7 of Albert Pauls Calls. All of them were ordered after playing a call at Nationals or calling Albert and ordering them. All of the Calls I have received from Albert have met or exceeded what he had on his Table at Nationals. If the call does not meet your expectations when you receive it you are doing yourself and the Call Maker a disservice by not calling them and/or returning the call so that you get what you wanted! Albert Paul is a stand up guy who will do whatever it takes to make a call that you will be very satisifed with!

Last edited:

rutandstrut

I have 6 or 7 of Albert Pauls Calls. All of them were ordered after playing a call at Nationals or calling Albert and ordering them. All of the Calls I have received from Albert have met or exceeded what he had on his Table at Nationals. If the call does not meet your expectations when you receive it you are doing yourself and the Call Maker a disservice by not calling them and/or returning the call so that you get what you wanted! Albert Paul is a stand up guy who will do whatever it takes to insure that you get the call you are totally satisifed with!

From left to right: Albert Paul Henry Davis LE Call Holly/Ebony, Albert Paul Wildtalker LE Call Snakewod/Holly, Albert Paul Walnut/Maple Prestige Grade, Albert Paul Field Grade Poplar/Walnut, Albert Paul Prestige Grade Cherry/Maple, Charlie Parrish Parquet Box Call, Lamar Williams Poplar/Cedar Long Box, Irving Whitt 1800's Wormy Chestnut/Walnut, Mike Lapp Poplar/Walnut, Ed Terenfencko Poplar/Walnut, Bob Harwell Poplar/Walnut, Charlie Parrish Olive Wood/Walnut.

BoxCalls.jpg

Last edited:

Dudley Do-Wrong

I have 6 or 7 of Albert Pauls Calls. All of them were ordered after playing a call at Nationals or calling Albert and ordering them. All of the Calls I have received from Albert have met or exceeded what he had on his Table at Nationals.

Tim, I do not doubt that and hopefully I did not indicate otherwise. My point is that I loved the sound of the call in my hand and therefore, it was the call I wanted. Having made a few box calls, I know how difficult and almost impossible it is to duplicate the sound from one call to the next. No 2 calls are going to sound exactly alike.

Albert Paul is one of the most reputable call makers out there and makes a fantastic call. But, I'm very particular about box calls and if I put my hands on one that has that "near perfect" sound (IMO), that's the particular call I want.

rutandstrut

Tim, I do not doubt that and hopefully I did not indicate otherwise. My point is that I loved the sound of the call in my hand and therefore, it was the call I wanted. Having made a few box calls, I know how difficult and almost impossible it is to duplicate the sound from one call to the next. No 2 calls are going to sound exactly alike.

Albert Paul is one of the most reputable call makers out there and makes a fantastic call. But, I'm very particular about box calls and if I put my hands on one that has that "near perfect" sound (IMO), that's the particular call I want.

David, I agree with you on finding a call that you like and wanting to buy it! I have had very good success playing a call that Albert had on the Table as a Demo and then placing an order. I have several of his calls and when they arrived, each and every call would make very good Turkey Talk without any Chalk on the Paddle. Once I adde the Chalk the Call came alive! Out of the 9 or 10 that I have purchased from Albert, I have only had to send one back. It was purchased for my Hunting Buddy and he wanted a slightly Higher Pitched Call. I called Albert, talked to him and explained what my Hunting Partner wanted and sent the Call Back. Albert made a new call and shipped it back to me in less than two weeks! My Hunting Partner is now satisifed and carries that Call on every Hunt!

IMO All Box Calls have a period of breaking in. It takes some time for the Paddle and the Side of the Call to wear in. The first thing that I look for in a Box Call after running it is to see if there are two crossed J's in the Chalk on the underside of the Lid. These J's should be in exactly the same place on both sides of the Lid. This tells me that the Lid and the Sides are symmetrical and the Curve of the Paddle is meeting the Curve Side of the Call at exactly the same point on both sides. I also play the call on both sides to insure there are two distinctly differents tones and play the Call with the Paddle towards me and away from me to insure that I can play the call in several different positions without effecting the Turkey Sounds that the call makes! If a Box Call will do all of this then I have found a Call that I like and will purchase one or more of them!

Gadget

I have a friend that recently bought a call from a well known call maker. He bought it based on trying one a friend of his had that he bought at the Nationals. The call place very high in the call making competition. He ordered the exact type of call and specified that he wanted that call to sound the same as the one his friend bought. He was somewhat disappointed in the call he received.

The point in saying this is that call makers cherry pick calls to put into competitions. If they are serious about the competition, they will pick the very best out of the vast amounts they have made. So, that call that highly placed in the competition may have been one out of 20 or 50, or 100. This goes back to the "try before buy".

Yep, I like to try before I buy if I'm looking for a hunting call, they can vary to some degree no matter who makes them; with a collection call it doesn't matter as much.

Last edited:

J. Scott

Gone but not forgotten
The web site for scotts cutter is scottscuttercalls.com. The message board will not work for some reason, but the e mail address is correct and I can be reached using the e mail address, scottscuttercalls@comsouth.net, or phone is 478-934-7456. Give me a call.

I'm kinda partial to the boxes I make.