Rattlesnakes

maxwell42583

You do know you posted on a public forum admitting to doing a very illegal act.

No I didnt know! I used to go with my Granddaddy back when I was a young kid and watch him and his buddies catch snakes like that. I havent been in probably 20 years. My Granddaddy is 93 now, he doesnt really get out of the house these days anymore. Im glad ya'll said something. It did work really good, though. We stopped turning snakes in for the round-up a long time ago. I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations ran out a long time ago!

Last edited:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Lake Russell WMA does have quite a few timber rattlers. Would lov e for you to go send them on a trip somewheres else. I shot one a few years back that was 40" long on the road. Ironically in the same area I was crawling after turkeys the week before. There is supposed to be alot near the end of the road when you pass the check station and take the first 2 rights. There is a camping area right at the creek there.

Its funny how people have different experinces. I have rock climed on currahee a thousand times, deer and turkey hunted it quite a bit. Ran or hiked hundreds of miles on the gated roads and trails. Trout fishing too. Have never seen a poisonous snake of any kind.

G20

Banned
Its funny how people have different experinces. I have rock climed on currahee a thousand times, deer and turkey hunted it quite a bit. Ran or hiked hundreds of miles on the gated roads and trails. Trout fishing too. Have never seen a poisonous snake of any kind.

Tell me about it. As a kid, I was fascinated with snakes, studied all about them, and could tell you just about anything about any snake at all. I went looking for them all the time. Rarely found them. And with as much time as I spend in the woods, I have only seen 4 copperheads, in regards to poisonous snakes. Never a rattler or cottonmouth, and I have spent countless hours in the Okefenokee.

On the other side of the coin, people who get off on killing snakes seem to run across them all the time.

Unless my (or a loved one's) life is in immediate danger, I absolutely will not kill a snake. Even in my own yard, I'd capture and relocate a poisonous snake, if I could. I never could understand the mentality of people thinking that snakes should be killed, no matter what. Snakes are not evil. They do not seek out people. They are just hunting food, and would much rather not tangle with a human at all.

Mac

Lake Russell WMA is supposed to have lots of timber rattlesnakes. Encountered one myself last fall, scared the tar out of me!

I have killed two off the place years ago, one about a mile down the road from the checking station.
The other off the back side (west) about mid way up the mountain. First was huge, second about 2.5 feet long.

Offroadtek

On the other side of the coin, people who get off on killing snakes seem to run across them all the time.

Tell me about it, last week I noticed a truck in front of my house stop, back up, pull forward, stop spin tired in reverse. I walked up to see he had run over a 3ft king snake. He said "I saw the snake crossing the road, I didn't know if it was poisonous." I picked it up and told him it's not, it eats venomous snakes. I didn't say anymore, this infuriates me.

But to OP, have you ever heard of the Rocky Mountian Recreation Area that borders Berry WMA? It's know for it's rattlers around here.

G20

Banned
Tell me about it, last week I noticed a truck in front of my house stop, back up, pull forward, stop spin tired in reverse. I walked up to see he had run over a 3ft king snake. He said "I saw the snake crossing the road, I didn't know if it was poisonous." I picked it up and told him it's not, it eats venomous snakes. I didn't say anymore, this infuriates me.

Yep - you can't fix stupid, can you?

Killdee

I have lived in Marietta all my life and never seen anything venimous here but copperheads, my work buddy saw a 3'+ timber rattler run over on the north loop right by the 1-75 ramp last year. I used to see a bunch in Talbot county, Timbers but have hunted 30 years in Harris/Troup with only 1 small rattler seen.When we hunted the edge of Talbot/Taylor where the sandy soil is, Junction city, we saw several diamondbacks and cottonmouths, I have never seen either of these north of this area. Good luck on your quest and be careful

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Don`t get bit. Big rattlers are hard to hold. Little bitty ones are too.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to love to catch snakes when I was little...........I remember the anticipation in the mornings of walking up to the creek.............When one was there, it was a very good day.

NEVER, have I seen a Rattler, cept in cages and on TV, and only one time a Moccasin:huh:

ben300win

I have a buddy that has 78 acres near sandersville that has a bunch of rattlers on it. As a matter of fact the folks that cut the timber said that it was the most eat up place they had ever seen with rattlers. I shot one there about 40". I kept the buttons from the one I shot on Russell. It was 42" long and had 7 buttons.

Mac

They are protected, but by far the biggest I had ever seen was on Ossabaw island. Huge

Ranger said, the only snakes are the ones that are to big for the bigs to mess with.

We stopped at the rattlesnake roundup one year and the Ossabaw snake was much bigger than anything they had that year.

bnew17

The snakes are there. Just because you dont see them dont assume they arent there. I agree with Jim P ^^^. I almost stepped on this 3 footer in January of 2011. It was 45 degrees out. You can see how well camoflauged he is. But to answer your question you can find rattlers in most wooded areas. Most of our land is timber. I dont see rattlers very often at all but i know they are out there. Id suggest having 911 on speed dial too.

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

mwells353

I see tons I just pick them up and move them to another part of the property. I do agree with Jim_P above for probably everyone I do run across and move I probably have walked by a bunch. I know some people eat them and in the past sure I have partaken in rattler meat, but these days I just like them taking care of the squirrels that bust me in the woods these days.

hobbs27

The most Timber Rattlers I've seen have been of B.F. Grant. Seems like I see one every other time I go.

Klondike

I look pretty hard for them to not get bit but have not seen a single rattler in 15 years in GA woods. Plenty of copperheads, cottonmouths and big black rat snakes but never a rattler. Lucky I guess.