Headlight Restoration

SWAMPFOX

What is it with the headlight lens on my vehicles? They are cloudy and I can hardly see even with the high beams on.

A friend told me I could "restore" the lens by buying some sort of do-it-yourself kit at any auto parts store. Then he told me that even after I did that, it would only be good for maybe a year then it'd need to be redone.

That sounds like a bunch of crap. I never had this problem with my older vehicles. When the lights got dim, I just bought and plugged in a whole new light. Now when I replace the bulbs I still can't see worth a darn because the lens are oxidized so bad. I hate new vehicles.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

FootLongDawg

Just had my oil change place do one of my lenses for $30. Do not know why it was only happening in one light. It cleaned up real well, but they only guarantee for a year.

lonewolf247

This is what I used. It worked really good for mine.

112.jpg

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Somebody on here posted awhile back that toothpaste works !!! Be worth a shot ??:huh:

Get yourself a tube of Flitz, found at lots of gunstores, about $9.00. Get a BARELY moist sponge and rub it briskly on the headlight, rinse well. I have restored 3 cars so far and still have 2/3 of a tube left. I can't believe how well it works, my daughters car I figured was beyond help. You WILL have to do it again from time to time, just the nature of certain types of headlights, but it just takes a minute the second time. Don't waste your money on expensive "kits".

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Or you can wet sand with 1200, then 1500 then 2000 grit sand paper and then wax it. Then just wax it occasionally after that.

bandit819

X2 on the wet sanding. I then spray clear acyrilic on the lens. Cost under $5 and is good for several vehicles lasts about a year. The reason the lenses haze is because the lenses are made of plastic and the lights get hot and the outside gets hazy.

7Mag Hunter

I used the 3M headlight kit from parts store..

It comes with sanding pads/disks that you
use on your drill......FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.
and put a light coat of wax on headlight
after you get it clear......1.5 yrs and mine
still look good......
It takes about 1 hr to do both headlights....

quackertackr

I tried the toothpaste trick and it helped just a little.
I then tried using OFF with deet (40% in it) it worked very good. I was leery but if it didn't work I was going to replace. I would recommend trying.

Todd E

I, too, used sportsman's repellent with deet(the higher % the better). Did wonders on a 98 model.

Guess I'm just getting lazy but there are some guys at the local Little Mexico (flea market) that will do it for $10 a lens. They do a good job, and it's worth that for me not to have to do it.

GoldDot40

X2 on the wet sanding. I then spray clear acyrilic on the lens. Cost under $5 and is good for several vehicles lasts about a year. The reason the lenses haze is because the lenses are made of plastic and the lights get hot and the outside gets hazy.

Actually, instead of regular acrylic clear, use a UV clear formulated to resist sun damage. It will last even longer than the factory coating. The factory clear is what fades.

Sand with 800, 1000, 1200, then just clear it with UV clear....no polishing is necessary. This is my wife's '07 Mazda 6. The left is sanded and ready to clear. The right had just been sprayed. This was several months ago and it still looks as good as it did the day I took this pic.
NCM_0214_zpsd7wtxyxv.jpg

blacksheep

I tried one of those headlight restore kits it didn't work all that good . so i was going to replace the lens on my 98 silverado and my Son told me he could clean them like new . He did and they look great .All he used was an old sock and a can of Deep Woods Off. He said a car clean up guy told him about it when he worked for Enterprize Rental Car Company. cheep and it works.

bronco611

the deet is probably removing the hazed over clear coating that is put on by the lens manufacturer. If you sprayed it with the clear acrylic after using the deet it will help seal the plastic again and should last longer. I know the old 100% deet that you could by back in the 80s called musk oil insect repellent would eat the finish off of a rifle stock if you placed your hands on it after using this product. The deet idea if it works would save the wet sanding steps and be a cheaper route IMO.

jkpell

Guys the DEET solution is not the way to go. There is no permanent answer however sanding and polishing or sanding and painting with clear is your best method.
Toothpaste, bug spray etc will only fix it for a month or two.

7 point

I tried the toothpaste trick and it helped just a little.
I then tried using OFF with deet (40% in it) it worked very good. I was leery but if it didn't work I was going to replace. I would recommend trying.

Yes X2 did it on my truck works good