Coon Hound Puppy

Scrapy

Banned
Im bout ready to get me another puppy. Dont matter what you get. Without lots of time and hard hunting. It aint gonna make nothing. Someone just getting a dog should probably start with a good old broke dog. Lots of headaches go with most pups. Unless you get a natural. Ive had exactly one natural in all my yrs. Id love to get another but they are hard to come by in any color.
You are gonna get another dog you LIKE to hunt with as much as your old dog if you keep at it and Godspeed.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Im bout ready to get me another puppy. Dont matter what you get. Without lots of time and hard hunting. It aint gonna make nothing. Someone just getting a dog should probably start with a good old broke dog. Lots of headaches go with most pups. Unless you get a natural. Ive had exactly one natural in all my yrs. Id love to get another but they are hard to come by in any color.

Good advice. In my experience, unless things have changed a lot in the last 20-25 years since I quit keeping coon dogs, no matter what breed they are, what bloodlines they come from, or what it says on their papers, probably 75% or more of pups of any breed will never make a good coon dog. Just because they're a registered coonhound don't mean that they'll ever be able to find, strike, run, tree, and hold a tree. Probably half of them are completely worthless to begin with. And it's really hard to train even a good pup with a lot of potential unless you have good broke reliable dogs to run and train it with.

hobbs27

If I had it to do all over again. I would get an old straight healthy dog first. Hunt it a year and learn all the bad habits of dogs then get a puppy. No telling how many puppies we ruin learning how to train dogs when we first start hunting.

ChattNFHunter

If I had it to do all over again. I would get an old straight healthy dog first. Hunt it a year and learn all the bad habits of dogs then get a puppy. No telling how many puppies we ruin learning how to train dogs when we first start hunting.

Amen, Amen, and Amen!

Scrapy

Banned
Walker fellers will sell you on a concept or two. One is , he will unsnap adog and turn to a buying kid with a toothy grin and say, "we done gone coon hunting now whether you like it or not" . Kid gets all excited. He gone to get in the darkness." The other concept is GITTREED . To be honest I cannot stand a dog that quits a track. I don't want to hear one bobble and goobele. and snort all night. A wwalker salesman will tell you all about a dog traking time to work out a track . But Ole Scrapy not to b fooled too much for too long. I absolutely , positively , positively HATE a dog that quits a track in ten hours . I ABSOLUTELY Hate and despise and dog that quits a track and especially grabs a tree and tells the world about it and knows full well it is lying the whole time. Might even have a cur come by and won't join in to the hoopla slobber slinging . Trust the cur to tell the truth on that lying peice of crappie.
Most times it ain't even worth the time it takes to shine up a blank lying leafy or not tree. Cross breed Got to be a coondog whether cur or not you put credidibility in .. Not just a regular cur. ..Sometimes we walk in to a dog slobber mouthin and my crossbreed comes and gets between my legs and looks at me like. " you ain't gonna take this cluster thing out on me are you bosss? At that time I realize that I am hunting with high dollar folks and high dollar stakes so I just keep my mout shut and grin just to see what happens..

A hound has to strike, and trail, and run before it can tree a real live coon. Don't forget what Scrapy say . Any dog can lie. Or swear he was right but so what?

Last edited:

Jeremiah Glaze

So much ignorance about the way it used to be an how sorry walker dogs are..there are some slick treeing idiots but A large percentage would be trainer error..blowing the reeds out of a sqwaller an encouraging young dogs to get on the tree an tying them back off the tree to make them want to tree...all before even making sure there is a coon there..hunting them on nothing but buckets until there 2 years old, all they've ever known is go 100 yards an tree...get patted on the head , go for short ride do it again..to many people don't actually coon hunt anymore..an some of that is bc of small tracks of land you need coons close an in thin coons it will brings the coons to you but too many people, hunt nothing but feeders.
I've hunted some real good ones an won a lot of casts I've seen good ones of all color , but for the most part it would be a walker dog... A good wipeout dog is hard to beat, has a coon whe. It trees..lot of tequila sunrise dogs are very accurate...hard to find a truly nice off colored dog

MrBull

Being new to coon hunting i would suggest getting a started dog. Just remember, you get what you pay for. A young started dog may cost you $500 and up. If you find a cheap one it is probably a cull. Hunt with the dog before you buy. Worry more about the breeding than just what breed it is. There are good ones and bad ones in every breed. There seems to be a lot of good English dogs right now and there are a lot of them in Georgia. I am partial to black and tans and Leopards. Be willing to pick up a good dog no matter what color.