Another Lower Etowah Run

jcarleto

Some of us (5 yaks, so far) are going to do another fishing run down the Etowah from Highway 113 ramp to Euharlee Bridge ramp this coming Saturday morning (Sep 24, 2016). It should take about 6 hours with the water as it is and allowing for fishing.

....just sayin'...

EJC

Good luck, I'd like to get back on the river soon but sometimes life gets in the way.

spkoli

I went last weekend. Got out about 2 and finished up around 7:30. Had to pretty much paddle from the picnic table on to beat dusk. Caught a couple bass along the downed trees with Black and blue speck senkos. Stuff was hitting topwater, except for what I had.

jcarleto

Thanks For The Report

I'm going to try a shallow-dive tiger shad this time. Last trip out another guy had one and it was deadly.

spkoli

Link me to it?

Is iyt this one?

Rapala Shallow Shad Rap 07 Firetiger

61BelAir

Some of us (5 yaks, so far) are going to do another fishing run down the Etowah from Highway 113 ramp to Euharlee Bridge ramp this coming Saturday morning (Sep 24, 2016). It should take about 6 hours with the water as it is and allowing for fishing.

....just sayin'...

How many miles is that? Just curious as to other people's distance covered while fishing.....too far away for me to get off to Saturday. Hope ya'll have a great time.

spkoli

it's an 8 mile paddle. Takes me forever, but I literally cast at every branch that is in the water LOL.

61BelAir

it's an 8 mile paddle. Takes me forever, but I literally cast at every branch that is in the water LOL.

Thanks. We average about 1 MPH at best. Even then we always feel like we had to miss some good spots. Everyone else around here we talk to goes faster.

jcarleto

Mumble...

OK...here's the report:

I used the afore-mentioned lure. Several hits, one really nice fish that I completely missed because I was clearing a casting snarl. The lure was sitting right next to the boat a few feet away while I cleared the snarl. Just as I was winding the line back on the reel a nice bass sucked the lure in. I reeled like mad and tried to set the hook as soon as I had tension....pulled the lure right out of its mouth.

End result for the day...SKUNK!

However, Steve got 10..using the same lure. One was a nice striper and the rest were smallish white bass. He must have had 30 hits. I got tired of hearing him holler, "Fish on!"

The water in the Etowah was low and the current was slow. This did increase the paddle effort, but it made all the fish weirs very easy to cross and simple to determine the best crossing point.

I have made this run many times now. One thing of interest I have noticed is that the water level changes the best weir crossing point on some weirs. Some points flow at a reduced rate when the water level drops, causing new points to open up or flow with greater volume.

All in all, a beautiful day. Good conditions. I just didn't bring the "A" game, I suppose. Better than sitting at home watching TV, though.

Last edited:

spkoli

Does the fishing heat up or slow down on this river in October and November? I'm guessing since we are sort of in a drought, there won't be much releasing from alatoona.

jcarleto

I have heard....

Experts say it gets better. Other experts say it slows down.

So YES. It does.....both, probably.

My guess is some species slow down or move out (Stripped Bass) and others get busy. They all have to eat.