Anybody ever hunt from a tree saddle?

7Mag Hunter

Not a new idea....
I used one 25+yrs ago....makes your legs go to sleep, and no
support for your back !!!!

tree cutter 08

Good for long walk in spots or short hunts. I use tree gaffs with mine so I can get in any tree with only about 7 extra pounds in my pack. Not the most comfy but hunting ain't always easy.

Jim Boyd

Way too scary for me !

Tree gaffs are also.

I am old and need a comfy seat at about 20’ - ladder or climber.

Good luck if you try it!

BogieK9

Thanks y’all. I posted a YouTube link for a new one they’ve come out with that has back support. It looks like it may be a viable option for public land hunting.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Hanging on the tree all day is really different and strenuous compaired to being able to sit down many hours at full rest in a stand waiting for the moment to stand up.
I know and can’t realistically consider being in my tree saddle for the amount of time it takes for a deer to come along even when siting on a nice comfortable limb. You got to be really really strong to stay long enough.
You will not be relaxed long enough period. You will need spikes to change your choice of tree, a climbing rope or you’ll have to move the ladder sticks.
Pretty much a gimic that would not be as effective as you’d like or they say to get your money. If it was that good we would all use one by now. Stick with your stand and use a saddle for tree CLIMBING or SAFETY but not as a deerstand substitute.
If your woods are just loaded with deer and your wait times are not over a couple hours or so then go for it but you won’t stay all day everyday and continue to hunt from any saddle alone. Wish I could but feasible not so much.
You just can’t relax your body in a saddle.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Thanks y’all. I posted a YouTube link for a new one they’ve come out with that has back support. It looks like it may be a viable option for public land hunting.

The back rest isn't a big perk compared to the circulatory issues the loops your legs go through can cause. I spent my time climbing poles and on cliffs in harnesses. There's no way staying in one all day is safe or comfortable. Not to mention gaffing trees isn't the best of stewardship for your hunting environment.

J Gilbert

Google Saddle Hunter forum, the responses from those guys don't exactly mirror what has been said here. I haven't hunted from a saddle so I have no dog in the fight, but there is a lot more information out there than what you'll find here on GON

NorthGaHunter

It has been awhile but I have used one a fair amount in the past. I have hunted pretty much all day in one and did not have any real issues. I did not have any back issues and you don't have any circulatory issues ...at least with the tree saddle version. I have pretty much hunted off the ground for the past 12 plus years. I may have hunted up a tree maybe a half dozen times.

I think if you are hunting an area where you already have tree steps or a stick ladder or something to get up the tree, it would be worth taking a look at. I don't think I have ever bow hunted from one. I would have loved to had one in the 90's. I did initially use a rock climbing harness when just starting and that was not as comfortable.

Now days I don't like being off the ground...plus I like to slip around a lot.

Timberman

I used one back in the day. I had trees all over the place with steps in them. I could just pick one depending. Killed some nice deer.

Their time came and went for me. I won't hardly get off the ground any more...

Long Cut

When I’m hunting deep in public and don’t want to lug my stand & sticks out there I rig up my rock climbing harness with a saddle.

IF you have a decent platform to rest your feet and a type of back brace (bungee chord, belt..) it’s a lot more comfortable than most hang on stands.

The commercially available saddles from what I’m told are even more comfortable. I’m too cheap to buy one, they’re also heavier and bulkier than what I need.

Check out the saddle hunter forums to hear about it from guys that actually use them and watch YouTube videos on them. They have their strengths and weaknesses

Last edited:

Long Cut

When I’m hunting deep in public and don’t want to lug my stand & sticks out there I rig up my rock climbing harness with a saddle.

IF you have a decent platform to rest your feet and a type of back brace (bungee chord, belt..) it’s a lot more comfortable than most hang on stands.

The commercially available saddles from what I’m told are even more comfortable. I’m too cheap to buy one, they’re also heavier and bulkier than what I need.

Check out the saddle hunter forums to hear about it from guys that actually use them and watch YouTube videos on them. They have their strengths and weaknesses.

I’m running a Metolius Safe Tech Deluxe Rock Climbing harness with 11mm static line for my linemens belt & safety line, a Ropeman Ascender and a sit drag as my saddle

If you go this route, buy a rock climbing harness with rated gear loops.

Double post

six

I sat in one for about 3 minutes a long time ago.

ripplerider

I used to hunt out of an early version years ago. It was basically just 3 straps of seatbelt material under your rear that came together in one strap about 8 feet long with a carabiner on the end. At the time I was climbing a lot of trees doing tree work so I was used to spending a lot of time in a saddle. I could get pretty comfortable in it as long as I could rest my feet on limbs or a screw in step. You could get a good solid rest for your rifle on the tree trunk. I hunt from the ground now, I like slipping around too much to be tied down to one tree. I still have it in my shed if anyones interested in it.

Buckman18

If I know where I’m going then I’ll just eat an extra granola bar a haul my summit. Would much rather be comfortable and enjoy myself. Last year, I used the hammock seat some, and enjoyed it also... no way I’d hunt in a saddle, just not as comfy to me.

ejs1980

Ok guys saddles have come a long way in the last few years. Aero hunter came out with the kestrel last year. Tethrdnation came out with one today. It’s actually in presale right now. My climbing system that gets me to 30’ saddle and all is right at 13 lbs and it’s more comfortable than anything in that weight class. The kestrel is about 2 lbs heavier all in and is just as comfortable. Where it shines even more than the weight department is the fact that everything I need fits in my day pack. Can’t do that with a climber or hang on.