• Lower Coastal - Down

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • No Change

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I work a lot in Walton county. Riding from job to job there are pastures,hay and crop fields everywhere. I have seen 0 turkeys in these fields this year.

Gut_Pile

That's sad news mguthrie. That seems to be the case for people all across the state.

The mtn man

I don't believe I've seen a single gobbler from the road this year , that's union county, I also work for phone company across the state line in nc, which was known for great turkey hunting, with my job, I'm everywhere, I can't remember seeing a single gobbler this year, never heard a gobble either. I've seen a hand full of lone hens near the road doing what they normally do, but having seen many of those. I didn't even go this year, just went to listen a few times. I love to turkey hunt when turkeys are plenty, not so much when there's not. Been fishing this year.

Buckman18

I haven’t got to hunt as much this year but I finally tagged out this morning. Killed 1 down at the deer lease and two on Chattahoochee WMA. For me, where I hunt, no real changes that I can tell as far as sightings, etc. However, I’ve heard more gobbling in May this year than I did March and April combined.

Last edited:

shdw633

I can only speak of our property in Dodge County and we have done a lot of predator control over the last three years and as such our turkey and small game populations have exploded this year.

Possum

Banned
It’s gonna vary a lot from property to property. One tract I hunt in Wilkes county has got way better over last three seasons. Part of that is because I’ve trapped a few dozen coons, possums and coyotes. And because I’ve greatly improved their habitat by increasing food plots and burning.
Around where I live in the mountains it’s been roughly the same over last 15 years. There was a couple years that hunting was phenomenal and a couple years it sucked. Last year was one of those years. I haven’t killed a bird around here this year but I’ve heard plenty.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
I scratched out a limit, but it's not because the birds are plentiful. I work my tail off and hunt like crazy during the season. The mountains have half the population they had 20yrs ago. The hogs, coyotes and other predators have done a number on them. Used to you could ride across certain mountains and hear birds all over, now you'll be lucky to hear one.

Garnto88

Down in upper coastal .I limit out each year but I can observe and see that numbers are down. Rare to hear multiple birds like ten years ago. Just got back from South Dakota and had several conversations with folks hunting black hills and they say the same there.. that being said after going there I wish I could live there from April 14-May 20th.(there season dates)