Looking to buy small acreage; have Q

outdoorman

Looking at buying about 20 acres of nice wooded land that is surrounded by larger tracts. Both neighbor tracts on either side are small also (38 and 18) but the
other surrounding tracts, ranging from 250-1000 acres are mostly owned by timber companies so my assumption is that they are leased by hunting clubs.
Is it a bad idea to purchase land neighboring timber land if I plan to hunt on my land? Are my suspensions that hunting club members have little respect for private land boundaries and enter posted land if the opportunity is there?

Havana Dude

I’m part owner of 40 acres, surrounded on all sides by timber company land, leased every year for past 30 years plus. Never had an issue with lease holders trespassing. My advice would be to get to know the folks who hunt around you. There will be one or 2 you don’t care much for, but be nice to them, and they will likely be nice in return. There is of course no guarantee, but has worked for me. Our place is 1 mile off the hard road, deep inside the timber company land. I guess you could say I’m the one that potentially messes them up driving through. We do have legal easement for access.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The hunting club members probably won't give you much trouble. Folks who live around there are the ones who will more likely be trespassing, especially if you don't live on the property. It's just part of owning land. I don't stress out too much about it.

B. White

I've seen more problems keeping the folks from the small private side from wandering or putting stands up across the line. Folks also love to buy a place and ride horses or atvs all over any nearby country side.

outdoorman

the property I'm looking at is rectangular shape and fronts near the end of a dead end road.
There is a neighbor tract of 38 acres on one side, 18 acres on the other side. On the rear is a power line backed by timber land property of 1200 acres there.

gadeerwoman

Second what Hillbilly said: "The hunting club members probably won't give you much trouble. Folks who live around there are the ones who will more likely be trespassing". Plan on some fences, locked gates and a lot of hidden cameras on your place. Chain down every stand you put up. Count on fences being cut by at least one of the neighbors. Give me timber company leasees any day!

outdoorman

Hoping for the best; walked the property again today and saw what appears to be about 4 ladder stands that seem to have been there for some time. One of them was on the back at the power line and none of them were secured.

If everything goes through, first thing is to put up /No Trespassing/No Hunting' signs and some game cameras.
Next is to get familiar with the neighbors.
Actually, I was thinking of stopping by this weekend and introducing myself and asking some Q to learn about the 'neighborhood'.

outdoorman

I've seen more problems keeping the folks from the small private side from wandering or putting stands up across the line. Folks also love to buy a place and ride horses or atvs all over any nearby country side.

Thank you for this warning. So far I haven't seen anyone outside on the road where it is. Also no tire tracks anywhere near the property.

PaDawg

You mentioned dead end road. Watch out for trash and anything else people want rid of. I continually fight this battle.

JackSprat

Locals will be your biggest problems.

Timber companies are very serious about relations with neighboring landowners. Any lessees who cause those problems aren't around long enough to cause them long.

I'd rather have timber company as a neighbor than a farm that's been in the family for 100 years and they have "just always hunted this land and no one said anything."

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
These people on my land didn't come from the hunting club:

Attachments

• tp1.jpg
    tp1.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 232
  • tp2.jpg
    tp2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 235

PaDawg

I must be prophetic, I just found 25+ tires somebody dumped on my land. The locals are definitely the ones to worry about.

outdoorman

miss several the neighbors this weekend they seem to be the long-term residents who paid very little for the land compared to what the lot I'm looking at is going for which is got me thinking second thoughts on maybe me too high of an offer wish they've accepted

outdoorman

Well, they accepted the offer last week so now I'm going to get a survey (last one done 20 yrs ago) and find a closing attorney to get title search etc done. This is kind of stressful as never bought land before. Had the local forester come on and look the land over, he said favorable things about it for a hunting tract. I would have liked to have met him but was during work hours.