Got a new toy!

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
YES!! IT'S FINALLY HERE!! I Got my Shimano Scorpion DC17 Imported from Japan today. This is one of the high end reels i believe are made only by shimano that has a digital computer chip inside the reel to regulate casting efficiency. "DC" stands for digital control and basically is the braking system the reel has. No backlash, birds nests, or overruns! You can take your thumb completely off the spool on a cast and it has a sensor that monitors your line every for every 1/1000th of a second the whole way through and applies electromagnetic brakes only as necessary during the cast to cut down on casting issues you get with regular baitcasters. There are no equivalent reels available in the US market and the only way to get one is to get it from Japan. It recharges itself with the kinetic energy used after every cast and makes a COOL whining sound every time you use it that you only get from a DC reel. There's different settings for the type of line you're using and different modes and settings you can adjust to fine tune your casting with it. Right now I have it set to braided line and the automatic setting so i can just let the reel do all the work. I'm STOKED!! There are other DC reels they make as well and some are saltwater safe. There is a Shimano Metanium DC, Exsence DC, Scorpion DC and I believe there are others. A cheap DC reel will run you $250 or lower for a cheaper model or used one and $500+ for the highest level ones but prices vary depending on exchange rates for Japanese Yen to American dollars at the time of purchase. You don't NEED one, but it's definitely a cool and efficient piece of fishing equipment. Also Nice To See Technology advancing the way we fish too.

Attachments

• c99e75fe-9e6a-4b4d-8f3c-4c4cce06f8ed.jpg
    c99e75fe-9e6a-4b4d-8f3c-4c4cce06f8ed.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 911
  • d2fb3185-eb51-41a3-836f-b70523354d32.jpg
    d2fb3185-eb51-41a3-836f-b70523354d32.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 923

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
A closer look

A closer look at the reel from online photos

Attachments

• Original-New-Shimano-Scorpion-DC-100-101-100-101HG-Baitcasting-fishing-reel-215g-7-1BB-5.jpg
    Original-New-Shimano-Scorpion-DC-100-101-100-101HG-Baitcasting-fishing-reel-215g-7-1BB-5.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 905
  • Original-New-Shimano-Scorpion-DC-100-101-100-101HG-Baitcasting-fishing-reel-215g-8BB-5-5kg.jpg_6.jpg
    Original-New-Shimano-Scorpion-DC-100-101-100-101HG-Baitcasting-fishing-reel-215g-8BB-5-5kg.jpg_6.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 903

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
:hair: I could spend a week in Florida for what the saltwater one costs!

Coenen

Looks awesome! Get us some video of this puppy in action. :cool:

That price tag though! :eek: I think this must be how my friends/family feel when I tell them I've shelled out for "another" paintball gun.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
This link is just someone Casting and retrieving with it just to demonstrate it working. At one point he took both hands completely off the reel and grabbed the butt of the rod on a cast and nothing happened. Apparently it skips pretty well too. From what I've researched this model is basically a shimano Curado 200i frame with just better bearings, components and the DC system

https://youtu.be/A9LJuAAk5RI

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I bet that thing will cast clear into next week.

sully1

This link is just someone Casting and retrieving with it just to demonstrate it working. At one point he took both hands completely off the reel and grabbed the butt of the rod on a cast and nothing happened. Apparently it skips pretty well too. From what I've researched this model is basically a shimano Curado 200i frame with just better bearings, components and the DC system

https://youtu.be/A9LJuAAk5RI

Do the same with a Quantum Smoke S3 for less $.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3UmjlI6hek

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
So here's some news! Thought you guys who originally saw this post would appreciate it. Shimano a day or two ago just released leaks and teasers for their NEW DC reels about to be released. The Shimano Curado K DC and the Metanium MGL DC. The Curado DC is going to have a set price of $250 on release. Also, this was released in English by Shimano USA instead of Shimano Japan, so you might actually be able to pick these up here in the states soon without paying international shipping costs!

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Here's the link to the teaser trailer explaining exactly what DC braking is and how it works. This is for the Curado. I don't know if there's a separate one for the Metanium. The Curado DC that's being released in the USA is the cheapest available here and the Scorpion DC is currently the cheapest one already available in Japan. They both have the same base price.
Here's the link:

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Even better news! They're actually open for pre-order and expected to arrive sometime between this fall-winter. So You'll get it before early 2019. You should either be able to start next fishing season with it or finish off this one with it going into next year