Best fillet knife?

lampern

Buck Knives makes some real good ones.

I have the Rapala wooden handle. Made in Finland, have it for years.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I see you keep it sharp. No nicks, Post some pics of the fillets next time you use the ax. :cheers:

I'll try and do a video. Really wasn't that difficult. It'll lop the head of a big ole Flat Head right off too.

Tmpr111

Why filet a bass when you can eat the fins and tails too? I guess my folks were savages and taught me the improper way :). We ate turtle soup and squirrel brains too though :D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Why filet a bass when you can eat the fins and tails too? I guess my folks were savages and taught me the improper way :). We ate turtle soup and squirrel brains too though :D

Smaller smallmouth or spots from cold, clean water fry up whole pretty good, but most largemouth cooked with the skin and bones still on them have a muddy taste to me.

MikeyD6

Deleted
New to the fish cleaning duties. Did some filets (bass) the other day for the first time and thought they actually turned out ok. Tasted real good! My question is manual knife vs electric? Videos show electric so much easier and faster to use. What would be the downside I may be missing?

You might not be near an electrical outlet. That, and its a lot tougher to sharpen serrated blades when they go dull. The upside to a filet knife is simplicity.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten

I agree, some of the folks I cook for do not. I was in my late twenties before I saw a fish filleted. They were what we called butter bean Bream, not much bigger than a butter bean. I usually threw em back. The guy I was fishing with kept them, filleted them and gave me sandwich baggie full. I fried them just like any other fish and they were great.

ripplerider

I was recently given a J. Marttinni filet knife with wooden handles. It was made in Finland and will shave you with ease. Came with a leather sheath. The best filet knife by far I've ever owned. Got it, a Snapper mower, some tools and a beautiful 8 pc. set of dishware for helping a friend move. Just checked E-bay and theyre asking 70 bucks for this knife.

JackSprat

You might not be near an electrical outlet. That, and its a lot tougher to sharpen serrated blades when they go dull. The upside to a filet knife is simplicity.

I don't ever catch (or keep) enough fish for filleting with a knife to be chore. Also feel like I have better control

Biggest advantage to an electric knife is smooth even thing cuts- and I don't care about that on fish fillets.

I use an electric knife at home and don't bother resharpening the blades. May be a sad sign of the times but I just get a new set.

Latest posts