Night fishing for Bass

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Any tips for night fishing for largemouth/Spots this summer? I'm already starting to catch them after dark but I've only night fished for bass twice. Usually it's catfish and saltwater. What are you guy's top picks for lures at night? I'm already biased to topwater with buzzbaits but wonder what else works

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Black buzzbait with lots of moonlight!

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Muskie Jitterbug' but if you miss the fish remember to duck!

hopper

I have caught em mostly on plastics carolina short lead or texas both with glass.

1eyefishing

See I shoot for no moonlight! Must not be holding my mouth right. Hope you're doing well!

Well, we all know who knows how to hold their mouth right around here. And apparently, it's you and Jeremiah! The trout man and the bass man!
I'm trying to cut my teeth on the sea trout! Back to St Marks again for 6 days on Thursday...

BTW-happy birthday soon, Jeremiah. Hope you get a ('nother) big one! And good luck on the striper trip...

1eyefishing

Good article, Tmpr. I remember reading that article at the time, good to have access to it again.
Thx.
I guess I've always thought that the moonlight created a good silhouette for the bass to see visually, but with the vibration present in a buzzbait it may not be necessary. But one thing for sure, I can't cast very well in the blindness. I use the moonlight to both see where I want to cast, AND where I actually cast!

Darkhorse

We did a lot of nighttime bass fishing when I was younger, didn't matter about how dark it got, fish got to eat anyway, we'd always start about midnight and did pretty well.
Favorite baits were a large plastic worm and Jitterbug. I wear safety glasses now when night fishing with treble hooks.

BassMan31

If there's a lot of moonlight, Red/White jitterbug or white buzzbait. If there's no moonlight black buzzbait or jitterbug. If you're fishing gin clear water, big worms and lizards will work.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Well, we all know who knows how to hold their mouth right around here. And apparently, it's you and Jeremiah! The trout man and the bass man!
I'm trying to cut my teeth on the sea trout! Back to St Marks again for 6 days on Thursday...

BTW-happy birthday soon, Jeremiah. Hope you get a ('nother) big one! And good luck on the striper trip...

Thanks! I'm going to try my Best! I lost one the other night on that darn whopper plopper maybe 6+lbs. I have to read the limits on the striper. If they don't cooperate, I'm going to try for spots instead

GA BASS ODYSSEY

I had luck last month fishing 3 days in Tift Co. during the full moon. The full moon and the day before and after. I was farm pond fishing. Best baits were a shad colored Chatter bait and Booyah Prank. Find some deeper holes creek beds in the shallows. Throw in the shallow and pull across the deeper holes or creek bed. The bass lay in the deeper holes in the shallows looking up. If you cross a fish's path he will absolutely destroy your bait. Color selection I used was the same if it were daylight out and based on water clarity. I fished lighter colored baits (shad colors) as my water was clear. I absolutely crushed them.

PS..... Make sure you have a head lamp and keep your pliers handy.

pbradley

Texas rigged Zoom Ol Monster

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Didn't think about A chatterbait but it would make sense. Never caught A fish on one, but I think it would outperform a spinnerbait

GA BASS ODYSSEY

Didn't think about A chatterbait but it would make sense. Never caught A fish on one, but I think it would outperform a spinnerbait

You can see the baits I used in the second and third post of this thread
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=919079

The Prank acts like a popper but also acts as a wake bait when reeled. It has some good action. My son destroyed the bass with this thing. I did the same fishing it at night. The chatter bait was lights out. I started off using a trailer hook but had to remove it because the bass were just swallowing it. The only fish that did not recover was because of the trailer and the main hook both got him deep in the mouth. I had an 8 pounder throw it back in my face cause I couldn't get down the bank in time and lip him. That was the biggest fish of my trip.

Last edited: