GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Archery and Primitive Skills > Bowhunting

Old 08-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowanaLee View Post

I got them put together yesterday and tested them today. It was a test on my x bow too. I climbed up high and cocked then shot at several distances. I was able to cock it between the top railing. Its on the heavy side but thats my only real gripe. I'm stashing them in the woods so that won't make much difference. Its built strong but its not for a big man. Weights not the problem. Its made for someone with a small frame. If your my size (5'10-170) you'll have to lower the seat low enough for your knees to fit under the front railing. No biggie though. That opens up the railing for a shooting rest.

Shooting my xbow I had to aim 2" low for everything under 20 yds then aimed straight up at 20 yds and over. Similar to my compound bow. For 75.00 I'm happy. You can't beat them for a throwaway. I wouldn't recommend them for a person much larger than me though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ameristep...Stand/44467335

I have a similar older Hunter's View climber I bought at Walmart for $70 a long while back. It's a good climber that's very stable. I like your climber's nice cushioned sling seat with the cushioned backrest against the tree.

If you leave it out more than a season, keep a careful eye on making sure the cables do not rust too much.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoythunter1861 View Post

I'm hard pressed to trust something at those prices. But, theres another option you can maybe think of for the future.

I've before put different lock-ons up in the tree in different areas, and use the Muddy sticks to move around and climb the tree. Shoot, for a period of time I used just my muddy sticks and a Lone Wolf alpha lock-on and my set up time was less than a climber and quicker I felt.
These Muddy sticks make life awesome, especially if you don't want someone messing with your stands.

https://shop.gomuddy.com/the-pro-climbing-sticks/

https://shop.gomuddy.com/the-aerolite-climbing-sticks/
In the past, I've mostly used climbers to go mobile after whitetails, but here's a good helpful example of packing in a loc-on stand with climbing sticks including a safety lifeline that I would like to start using this setup in the future which is a Midwest Whitetail short instructional video below.

Skip to time mark 1:14 to go straight to the step by step demonstration.

Mobile Treestand Setups

Quote:
very easy to hang, quiet, & packs easily together as a solid unit

Old 08-21-2017, 12:53 PM
GONetwork Member

I bought something very similar some 10yrs back. I hunted out of it one time, left it on the tree, and told somebody in my club they could have it.. Horrible....