Headed To South Dakota

TexasRed45

My Father and I will be heading to South Dakota next week to do some pheasant hunting. This was the earliest either of our schedules would allow. This will be my first trip to south dakota, I am very excited. Just looked at the weather, gonna be an average 28 degrees while we're there and windy. I have no clue what to expect but we'll do the best we can!

Any of y'all have good suggestions for good insulated boots? My muck boots won't cut it.

Killinstuff

You won't need insulated boots. Just good old 6" tall leather type work boots are best. You won't notice cold in your feet if you're walking. But I'd gear up to keep my hands, face and ears warm though if it's going to be windy. This time of year I always have ear muffs, 3 pairs of gloves and two fleece hats in the truck. And they get used.

mecicon

My Father and I will be heading to South Dakota next week to do some pheasant hunting. This was the earliest either of our schedules would allow. This will be my first trip to south dakota, I am very excited. Just looked at the weather, gonna be an average 28 degrees while we're there and windy. I have no clue what to expect but we'll do the best we can!

Any of y'all have good suggestions for good insulated boots? My muck boots won't cut it.

The latest I've ever left is Thanksgiving Day...you are leaving a full week later. Gloves, layers, hats, overalls, doesn't matter which boots, you will be walking 12-13 miles per day...you could wear Florsheims, Buster Browns or Converse and you wouldn't get cold (in your feet, with the correct socks).

Wind, cold, hard birds, wily birds.

Numbers are down 50-65% ...harvests are 1 per hunter to less than 1 per hunter per day.

Are you on public land, private land, leased land ????

Killinstuff

Here's two other thing, you'll be driving through two states that have lots of birds this year. And when I left Iowa the Monday before Thanksgiving it was 13 degrees and the wind blowing 20 mph. That really sucked. Got to SW Kansas 10 hours later and it was 70. I like 70.

The hunting was so good in KS I'm heading back next week and will be there until January.

Fishin & Hunting

600 grams of thinsulite or equivalent will be enough. If you will be hunting in wet vegetation, make sure they are water proof or have a spare pair for the next day.

Was the worst year I ever saw. Four of use got 24 birds in four days.

What area do you plan on hunting?

ddavis1120

Hint: any cat tail slough with water.

I was out last week and none of the cat tails had water. Storm did go through as we were leaving so it may have changed. There were plenty of birds where we were at though. Limited out everyday and one day by 12:30.

To the OP, my suggestion is to have plenty of layers. I also appreciate a pair of gaiters especially walking in snow.

Latest posts