Bear Hunting with Dogs

I have never bear hunted but I am interested in getting involved bear hunting with hounds, and I was wondering if there are any clubs that I could come on as a Guest to see what it is like.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I went bear hunting with hounds in Canada many years ago.:clap: Dogs had radio collars on.:cheers: We spent more time chasing dogs than we did bears.:banginghe

Buckman18

Bear/Hog hunting with dogs is an absolute blast! My uncles in Western NC have dogs and I get to go with them most years, and it will wear you out! My longest hunt was 36 hours straight, and miles and miles from the truck, started in Clay County, ended up in Macon County. Ended up with a hog that day.

wildcats

Have hunted bear a good bit with hounds in WV. As stated it is a blast....and a lot of hard work. If you are fortunate enough to give it a go talk to everyone. Guys with good dogs have good reputations....quality hounds make a huge difference in your experience. Low quality hounds will run about anything on 4 legs leaving you working your tail off trying to round up dogs spread all over.
I do not personally own any hounds. I hunt with my cousins up there who do. If I lived there I would go broke trying to make a good pack to run with. Takes a lot of work and a lot of time to train a hound to be good at his job.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Have hunted bear a good bit with hounds in WV. As stated it is a blast....and a lot of hard work. If you are fortunate enough to give it a go talk to everyone. Guys with good dogs have good reputations....quality hounds make a huge difference in your experience. Low quality hounds will run about anything on 4 legs leaving you working your tail off trying to round up dogs spread all over.
I do not personally own any hounds. I hunt with my cousins up there who do. If I lived there I would go broke trying to make a good pack to run with. Takes a lot of work and a lot of time to train a hound to be good at his job.

Yep, that's why I no longer keep a pack-not enough time, not enough money.

And bear hunting with dogs is some of the hardest work you'll ever do, for sure.

NMH5050

I am going to the Dismal River Swamp in NC this November to hunt bears with dogs. Really excited to try it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
A time honored tradition that dates back further than written history.

shaun cichols

Hunted with hounds for years and is a lot of satisfaction when the dogs u raised from pups r treeing or baying a bear hard on the ground.