Short Bowie's Little Brother

Anvil Head

Had this one in the works at the same time, just fell behind when the "have to's" got in the way. Same handle materials - camel thorn and crown stag.
Blade is 6" recurve forged from OSB with file work. Hammered bronze & etched guard.
Bear paw theme on knife and sheath.
OAL is 12".

Attachments

• shrtbwe4.jpg
    shrtbwe4.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 408
  • shrtbwe1.jpg
    shrtbwe1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 409
  • shrtbwe5.jpg
    shrtbwe5.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 409
  • shrtbwe2.jpg
    shrtbwe2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 407

Redbow

Wow, that's a beauty...Your skill with knife making never ceases to amaze me...

Anvil Head

Thanks Doug, supposed to be sambar stag, but I have my doubts after working with it. Picked thru a couple of boxes at Blade last year. Getting harder and harder to find good true sambar. Still good chunk of antler regardless (definitely not whitetail or mule).

walkinboss01

Very nice work as usual, and merry Christmas.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Great looking work of art.

Anvil Head

Thanks Folks, hope all of you have a blessed Christmas.

Anvil Head

Thanks SH. The split loop is a very old design (I'm not the originator by any means). My long time mentor and "adopted" Dad, Sandy Morrissey showed me how to make these. He's a Master Leather Craftsman - one of the best of the best in his day and a WWII Vet. He and his crew actually worked on my real Dad's F4U (Corsair) during the war (South Pacific). They never met but Sandy's crew was responsible for modifying the landing suspension on the all the carrier based F4Us.
Anyway...the design has a few advantages over a full flat loop. The split allows better conformity to the body profile (very few of us are flat around the middle), this keeps the sheath from moving around while moving and twisting. The split also can be centered around a belt loop to prevent any movement at all. It obviously works best with the larger blades since they are a bit more problematic to belt-carry. Most of all, I find it estheticly pleasing.