Thermal/ night vision

hancock husler

Thinking about getting one or the other. Looking for yalls opinions?

JeffinPTC

Budget?

I bought a Sightmark 4.6x42
at Academy for $400 during Christmas. $500 now. It uses a digital camera type tv screen and is clear out to 100 yards or so at night with the built in IR illuminator. I'm looking for a cheap IR flashlight to see if I can extend the range.
I'm happy with it so far, esp compared to glass NV price.
Apparently, this model has been discontinued though Academy still has it.
Daytime use not so good. It uses a pinhole lens cap for day, and the reticle makes it hard to see the bull on ShootnSees.

hancock husler

Well I will say this, I have zero intentions of putting a 3k-5k dollar scope on anything. Just looking for something 500-1000 to have fun with. Give the kids something to play with hog hunting or predator hunting. It will be going on an AR.

Yotedawg

I am using both. And with that said I think both used together with two hunters are better than two nv's or two thermals. I will also say if I had to pick between the two, I would pick the thermal hands down. And it makes a difference what thermal you use. Currently I am using a 19mm ATN Thor. It is a low end thermal and it shows. I have hunted with Pulsar thermals and they are great. I am trying to scratch together enough money to get a pulsar apex xq50 right now. Good luck with your purchase.

sghoghunter

I am using both. And with that said I think both used together with two hunters are better than two nv's or two thermals. I will also say if I had to pick between the two, I would pick the thermal hands down. And it makes a difference what thermal you use. Currently I am using a 19mm ATN Thor. It is a low end thermal and it shows. I have hunted with Pulsar thermals and they are great. I am trying to scratch together enough money to get a pulsar apex xq50 right now. Good luck with your purchase.

I have the Pulsr RXQ30V and love it. You can learn a lot by watching critters when they think you can't se them

Yotedawg

I have the Pulsr RXQ30V and love it. You can learn a lot by watching critters when they think you can't se them

I would love to use one to check it out. Does that model do video? I am shooting for an xq50 but an xq38 or the rxq30 may be more realistic. This thor does fair but I have noticed a warm humid night makes it almost look foggy compared to a crisp cold night. But you are right. Animals do funny things when they have no idea they are being watched.

WGASA

Have a pulsar 50A, very nice for price point. I would recommend every forum member buys one to eliminate the stinking hogs.

sghoghunter

I would love to use one to check it out. Does that model do video? I am shooting for an xq50 but an xq38 or the rxq30 may be more realistic. This thor does fair but I have noticed a warm humid night makes it almost look foggy compared to a crisp cold night. But you are right. Animals do funny things when they have no idea they are being watched.
The 30 don't video. The 30 is the same way on real humid nights,more humidity the less you see

Yotedawg

Before I spent $1999 for the cheapest one of them I'd buy an entry level thermal

I second what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Plus I would wait to see the new x sight 2 4k nv and the new Thor 4 thermal that is coming in the next couple of months before buying anything ATN.

chase870

Possum Sox
I shoot a IR Hunter mk II. It’s super awesome but pricy. Like the rest once you go thermal you will never look back

DannyS4859

I have the Pulsar XP38 and I have used the ATN X sight 2 hands down thermal is the way to go. but with that in mind I do use a PVS14 to scan and walk with that way I'm not holding the rifle up all night.

pacecars

If you go to nightgoggles.com they have good prices and offer financing through a bank in Arkansas. I ordered a Pulsar Trail XQ30 which is an entry level with on board video and some real nice features