Ruger American 7mm 08

280 Man

Banned
Put a couple loads together and was really surprised at how well it shot from the start.

I've also tried Varget powder with several different bullets but the H414 and Nosler bullets have proven to be the winner..

Attachments

• P_20180131_152947.jpg
    P_20180131_152947.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 554
  • P_20180131_152905.jpg
    P_20180131_152905.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 555

Chase4556

The ruger Americans are solid shooters. I have an American predator 308, and it shoots great. I have not even started reloading for it yet. I’m excited to see what it can do with a custom tailored load.

Jester896

Senior Clown
is H414 the one that is the same as W760? I get real good performance from W760 with 142s in my .260. They are really close to H4350 in burn rate. they are just not as stable a H4350. W760 and hot do not go together :)

Good Groups!

280 Man

Banned
is H414 the one that is the same as W760? I get real good performance from W760 with 142s in my .260. They are really close to H4350 in burn rate. they are just not as stable a H4350. W760 and hot do not go together :)

Good Groups!

H414 and W760 are the same, or so they say anyway. I'm not sure what your definition of "hot" is but all I'm concerned with is weather temps during hunting season.

This load has been shot at 34 degrees and 77 degrees so far. Cases looked good and accuracy was the same. These are about the temps I encounter during deer season..

I rarely shoot in July and August when it's 95 degrees or more but if I do, it's early morning before it has time to heat up.. However, I will, at least once shoot this load when it's HOT just to see if there is any difference..

Furthermore, I believe where people get into trouble with powder sensitivity with hot weather is when they are already on the ragged edge of high pressure to start with for their particular load.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Yes sir, I enjoy shooting all year. I use 42.6 gr, that's under max for the bullet. But you are on track, the pressures comes up slightly and it becomes a little erratic early afternoons as it warms up. Bolt a little hard to lift and primers are starting to flatten good.

Mattval

I have a 7mm-08 ruger america in the compact version. Its awesome.

Bob Wallace

The Ruger American is highly underrated in my opinion. I have an -06 and will clover leaf at 100 yards. The trigger is very nice. It's a well made inexpensive gun just like the Savage 111 series.

Chase4556

Is the Ruger American Compact trigger adjustable, similar to the Savage Accutrigger?

Yes, to my knowledge all the ruger American triggers are the same through all their models. Adjustable trigger.

Also, if you find a click pen that has one of the wider springs in it(not the skinny longer springs) they fit perfectly to replace the factory spring. I've swapped mine out, and it brings the trigger down real nice. I'd say mine is around 2lbs. I also polished the sear and trigger face a little. If I back the adjustment screw out, I can not take up the blade safety without firing the rifle... very light, so I added a few turns and found the sweet spot.