Billy Bowlegs in New Orleans

Artfuldodger

I was reading about Billy Bowlegs and it sparked my interest in the Seminole. Then the War of 1812, the Creek civil war, and then the Prophets.

Tenskwatawa was known as "the Prophet" of the Shawnee tribe. Billcollector touched on this in post #15. His famous brother was Tecumseh. Together they established a village that the Americans called Prophetstown north of present-day Lafayette, Indiana.
Together, they mobilized the Indians in the Midwest to fight the Americans and remained resolute in their rejection of American authority and acculturation.

Considering that Tecumseh and his followers were the enemy of the US, why was he honored in so many ways? I remember the USS Tecumseh SSBN 628 when I was in the Navy.

Personally I don't have a problem honoring all great warriors, generals, etc. but others do.

USS Tecumseh(1863) was a Canonicus-class monitor built for the United States Navy during the American Civil War. The way I see it is, if they thought to honor him in 1863 on up until 1962 when they named the submarine after him, we shouldn't try to undo what they did.

Artfuldodger

I have this ongoing thought as I read history as to who gets honored and who gets a trial. I guess it's just one's personal perspective

Artfuldodger

Haven't read all of this thread yet although very interesting. Some of this topic is mentioned in a book I just finished. It's a great read: "Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans: The Battle That Shaped America's Destiny".

Oh, you just read it. For a minute there I thought you just finished writing it.
5 Star reviews on Amazon. I might have to check it out.

Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Some interesting reads on these subjects:

"All Roads Lead to Coweta" by Mike Bunn, it is a modern take on the Lower Creeks and the politics of the Creek Confederation during the Colonial Era.

"The Scott Massacre of 1817" by Dale Cox.

"Account of the Seminole Nation of Indians, by a recent traveler in the province (1822)" by William H. Simmons, it was published in 1822 originally and gives some interesting insights into the Seminole Nation prior to the 2d Seminole War.

"Creek Confederacy and a Sketch of the Creek Country", by Colonel Benjamin Hawkins, it gives a very detailed picture of the Creek Nation in the years leading up to the Creek Civil War. It has detailed censuses and a very interesting contemporary and eye opening picture of the economics of the Creek Nation. It was published in 1844 by the Georgia Historical Society.

"Stories of Georgia" by Joel Chandler Harris published in 1896 touches more so on the politics and expansion of GA but it does briefly address some of the issues with a growing GA and the Creek Nation.

"Osceola and the Great Seminole War" by Thom Hatch. A modern history of the 2d Seminole War and the events leading up to it.

"The Creek War of 1813 and 1814" by Henry Hulbert.

"A Paradise of Blood: The Creek War of 1813-14" by Howard T. Weir III, an extremely well written modern history of the 1st Creek War which lays a good foundation with the events leading up to it. It is very in depth and in many cases discusses the various histories and their conflicting information and lets the reader draw his own conclusions.

"Red Eagle and The Wars with the Creek Indians of Alabama" by George Cary Eggleston 1878. A fascinating book about William Weatherford utilizing numerous interviews with him and numerous sources about the 1st Creek War. It is very sympathetic to Weatherford.

There are also some numerous interesting Biographies on Andrew Jackson, John R. Coffee, Ferdinand Claiborne and John Floyd along with numerous publications and articles published by the State Historical Societies of Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida that cover these events. There are numerous biographies on William McIntosh that also shed light.

There are also numerous well researched and written historical novels about these events that give these historical happenings a very "human" face and make a lot of the histories on this time frame come to life so to speak.

"Osceola the Seminole The Red Fawn of the Flower Land" by Captain Mayne Reid.

"Black Creek, the Taking of Florida" by Paul Varnes.

"Heartless Panther" by Brian Sullivan.

There are numerous other publications I have in my library that shed light on these subjects, the sources are too numerous to list in this post. The titles I listed above are a good place to start. One historical novel I would suggest to anyone who is interested in the Colonial Period and the Revolution in Georgia would be "The Hornet's Nest" by Jimmy Carter (yeah, our former Gov. and President). It is very well researched and paints a very good picture of the events that lay the foundation for these future conflicts.