GA Boy In The Philippines

GA BASS ODYSSEY

Just in case anyone here ever wondered:

Dec 27-30 2017 Lakes Caliraya and Lumot, Cavinti Luguna, Philippines.

I have been going to the Philippines for 30 years mostly as part of being a member of the US Air Force. I am also married to a Filipina which also gets me back there often. I knew about the bass populations in Japan and Korea and have fished both of those countries. About Nine months ago I was watching Lunkers TV on YouTube and they took a trip to South Africa to fish Largemouth. That got me wondering where else in the world these fish had been introduced. Well it has been introduced to a lot of countries. Then I saw it was also introduced to 4 lakes in the Philippines. I got on the net a searched and found very little info. Most sites only explained the lakes and how the bass was introduced. I got one contact off one of the sites offering guide on the lakes. I emailed him several times but no response. So I decide to go there during this already planned vacation and check out Lakes Caliraya and Lumot on my own with no advice.

I packed up 3 Spinning rods and a bait caster with about $600 of tackle. After a couple weeks in the Philippines with the family it was finally time to head to the lakes. It’s about a 2 ½ hour drive from my home in Gen Trias to Cavinti Luguna. Lake Caliraya is situated approximately 1,200 feet above sea level and is perched high in the Sierra Madre. It has a surface area of 2,600 acres and a 98 mile shore line. Many islands are found within the Lake. The lake’s little sister, Lake Lumot about one third the size, was created as an auxiliary water reservoir for Lake Caliraya. Caliraya Dam provides hydroelectric power for Southern Luzon.

As I arrived at the lake it was storming. Winds were above 25 mph and raining steady, at times hard. We got in late so no fishing today as I had planned to do. The lake was beautiful and moderately clear down to about three feet. I had rented a villa with a tree house attached. My daughters enjoyed the tree house to say the least. We got settled in, grabbed a few San Miguel Beers and got my gear set up for the next day. It rained all night and the wind blew that tree house all night.

The next morning was not much better. I tried throwing a lip-less crank around that morning between the rains. The wind was sill blowing pretty hard. Worm fishing was out the question. They were pulling a lot of water off the lake due to the heavy rain and a good 15 feet of muddy shore was exposed. I knew at this point fish would pull away from the shore a look to feed out in the lakes other features. I could have not been more right as had no luck bank fishing the whole trip. Later that day I went out to check the lakes other access points and make reservations at another resort for a daytrip for my kids to have some fun. Public access around the dam and the east side of the lake is abundant. The south side is mostly private with access through the many resorts that line the south shore. Several resorts on the south side offer guides with bass boats however they don’t have more than one or two. The north and west sides are not developed and access is mostly by boat from the east and south shores. I made reservations at Mountain Lake Resort for a day trip for the kids and a morning boat trip out fishing on the lake.

Again it rained and wind blew all night. The next morning wasn’t much better. I managed to get the girls out on a banana boat ride when the weather broke about 10 AM. I went out and fished one of the points that had opened up due to the resort having to reposition one of the several house boats they have. The wind was still stiff but I broke out a Producto 6” Grape/Fire Jiggle Tail worm. Made several cast into some underwater grass off the point and got several bites but they were just not taking it. Finally got one to hold on and set the hook. He was 12 inches at best. Got a couple more hits but it was time to head out to Mountain Lake resort.

We got out to the resort and I went out to check the boat (19’Nitro). Boat was in good condition but the wind had picked back up. I held off taking the boat out and the guide agreed it was not worth the trip at that moment. So I decided to fish the cove and marina area. I also decided to get some pics of my girls on the zip line. As my daughter was walking back across the rope bridge she stopped and yelled at me, “Dad, big Large Mouth”. She is only six but has fished with me in south GA and knows her fish. Sure enough as I looked out in the cove where she was pointing I saw a 3 lb bass cruising near the top of the water under the bridge. My gear was on the other side of the bridge so no chance to cast to this girl. The weather did not improve and started to get worse through the day. The girls had a fun day of horse riding, feeding the various animals and swimming at the resort’s pool. The girls wanted to fish so I decided to tie up a catfish rig on one of my spinning reels. Got some bait provided by the resort and headed down to the shore. The catfish variety which they stock and keep pinned in this cove are Pangasius cat fish. I started out to see what I was dealing with. I casted out and within 2 minutes a fish hit and to my surprise it hit hard like a striking bass. I pulled in a 4lb catfish. I let the girls’ fish and each cat a fish all in the 3- 4lb range. These cat fish pull hard and was fun to watch my 6 year old trying to get on to the shore. This would end my attempt to fish this lake as we needed to return to my home to prepare for the New Year’s celebration 2 days away.

I caught one bass on this trip. You could say it was a loss but this lake is full of them. I just picked the wrong time of the year to come. After speaking with one of the resort workers he said that I was there at the wrong time. He said the lake is always down this time of year to make way for possible heavy rains. He said best to come is spring early summer. So Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb are out for this lake if you plan to come from a long distance. I got a lot of useful information on this trip. Lake lumot is chucked full of bass also and it very underdeveloped. A lot of fish farming (Tilapia Pens) are on this lake. On the drive back from Mountain Lake Resort I came up some guys riding a bike. They had a big stringer of largemouth they had caught on Lumot. Water was not being drained of this lake and these guys found a cove and slayed them.
In all it was a good trip. I will return this August as I have some work to do in one of my houses there. I hope I get a chance to return to the lakes this time. These lakes are beautiful and set in a tropic atmosphere. Still under developed and pristine. The Filipinos don’t care for the bass as food but do for the tilapia in the lakes. That keeps the fish from being over fished. You will not see bass in the markets either. Most will say that big string of fish is an indication of over fishing. I say it is not due to the least amount of fishing that goes on. Not many Filipinos fish for bass as they are not into game fishing. They few that do are the wealthier and have their own boats. Some Japanese even come in to fish these lakes and have been very successful. Check out the pics.

Attachments

• 27016843_1703891433001185_759520316_o.jpg
    27016843_1703891433001185_759520316_o.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 942
  • 26772003_1697932276930434_120565273_o.jpg
    26772003_1697932276930434_120565273_o.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 944
  • 26972739_1703891459667849_361787214_o.jpg
    26972739_1703891459667849_361787214_o.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 942
  • 26981835_1703891453001183_2044545951_o.jpg
    26981835_1703891453001183_2044545951_o.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 940

GA BASS ODYSSEY

More pics

Attachments

• 20171229_101628 b.jpg
    20171229_101628 b.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 928
  • 20171229_140637 b.jpg
    20171229_140637 b.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 930
  • 20171230_122510 b.jpg
    20171230_122510 b.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 932
  • 20171229_103734 b.jpg
    20171229_103734 b.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 928
  • 20171230_114237 b.jpg
    20171230_114237 b.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 929

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Good read and great pics. I have some good memories of PI . Unfortunately all of my memories were made in Olongapo and Subic Bay while in the Navy . I would love to go back and visit

GA BASS ODYSSEY

Good read and great pics. I have some good memories of PI . Unfortunately all of my memories were made in Olongapo and Subic Bay while in the Navy . I would love to go back and visit

Everything is still there except the military save a few units that rotate in and out. The bases are now economic zones and industrial complexes with airfields operating as civil airports. All the things we enjoyed outside the bases is still there as well. But that's for another forum. If you have a chance go back. Palawan is absolutely the gem of the earth. I usually go every year and now finding those bass are a top priority. Weather and to many kids wanting to do something else was a big problem this time. I will make it happen soon though.

Cletus T.

Very cool pictures and pretty neat about the bass over there!

Thanks for sharing it with us and thank you for your service!!!

GA BASS ODYSSEY

I was just curious, he lives in Tifton and is married to a lady from the Philippines. He visits there quite often.

I'm from Tifton as well. But I haven't spent much time there as I work contract a lot overseas. Permanently moving back there this year. Might have to get in touch with him. My wife would adjust easily to the move having a friend there.