Jon boat

panfish

I'm looking at getting a 14' jon boat from bass-bro or academy. I only have a 5hp for now. Is there any different in ether boat?

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Compare material thickness and hull dimensions. Get a livewell.

Bigmonk96

I had a Polar-Kraft for some 20 years - was a float boat for the river trips fishing - ( tough as nails) bottom took quite a beating over the years on those rocks, with very minor leaking -- recommend the 48inch wide for stability --with just a 5HP motor,it would be slow on the lakes, & not plane off ( but you would still get there**) you may even want to get a 12ft. boat ( 36in. wide) ?? -- if you decide to buy used,be sure & get a TITLE ( a real pain to get a duplicate ) -- good luck

http://www.polarkraft.com/jon/

teebert

I bought a 14 foot alumacraft and trailer from Academy last summer. Absolutely love it! I'm glad I didn't go smaller. Even for one person you'll run outta room quick with a tackle box,cooler, bait tank, rods, anchor, paddle...etc. I only have a 55 lb thrust trolling motor but it gets me around. Don't have any complaints at all with it.

Bream Pole

Alumacraft is a good boat and Academy has aluminum trailers.

panfish

Thanks. Think I'm going to academy.. not sure about a tralor. I mite build my own. I built a little 4x8 stainless tralor that works good ..

spencer12

I have a 14ft grumman. All I have is a 45hp bow mount trolling motor and it gets me where I need to go. However mine is only 36" +/- wide. I highly recommend getting the widest boat you can. Length is great but width is stable.

LureheadEd

Don't buy an older Sears Cartopper...I've had mine for 33 years, but have had to patch leaks every 4-5 ....But the trailer and winch are most of the problem, I have never been able to get it adjusted correctly and the stress on the old thin aluminum causes the probs...If you can buy New with a properly fitted trailer, any of the current name brands are much better and will last a lifetime...If you build your own trailer, make sure of proper "fitment" and the most important part is the winch stand and the pressure it puts on the bottom of the hull where the rollers and runners are....

red neck richie

I would look on Craig's list or the on lime web sites before I bought a new one. You can get alot more bang for your buck.

Yup. I bought a 1969 barrintine used, fifteen years ago for $200. No leaks. I couldn't have asked for more for the money. I still fish it today. I cant imagine they make them any better jon boat today.

AStrick

I bought a 32 " wide a few years back.
I might as well got a canoe!
Wider is better! Length not so much!

greg_n_clayton

I would look on Craig's list or the on lime web sites before I bought a new one. You can get alot more bang for your buck.

and shop and shop some more. I have a all welded tracker that is a mighty fine little boat IMO. I do wish it were wider !! I have never had a new boat or a new vehicle for that matter. I have saw a lot of flat bottoms that I would like to have, that I would sale mine for. Cash flow around here prevents me from buying then selling. I have always let somebody else take the hit of the depreciation !! As far as engines, well, I would like to have a new engine right now. It would last me the rest of my life I believe !! I have always made it a point to stay 50hp and under. The repair costs seem to know when it gets above a 50 hp I do believe !!

Browniez

If you buy a jon and trailer you get the VIP outdoors rewards points card at BPS. 20% off everything bass pro brand and 10 to 20% off everything else.

I reduced my purchase price of my 14 foot jon considerably over that time frame

dank1296

Look at solo skiff made in Carrollton Ga about 1850.00 and rated for a 5 hp motor. i have one and fish lanier and have fished it in gulf at Dauphin island

MikeyD6

Deleted
I would look on Craigslist or Facebook for a boat. You can find some really good deals on boats, especially without a motor. Buy the motor new so you have the warranty. I just bought a 14 foot jon boat with a trailer, trolling motor, and 10 hp for $1200. And the motor runs like a clock, so I got lucky there. I saw people selling boats without motors for less than $500.

8pointduck

Yup. I bought a 1969 barrintine used, fifteen years ago for $200. No leaks. I couldn't have asked for more for the money. I still fish it today. I cant imagine they make them any better jon boat today.

Do you need to throw out corn to catch fish too......:rofl:::ke:

hunterofopportunity

I just bought a 14 ft 48 in wide jon boat built in 70, got it and the trailer that needs some work for 300 I was tickled. We fished the boat Saturday its very stable with 450 lbs of men in it and no leaks. Keep lookin deals are out there.