2017 Acorn Report

Killer Kyle

I scouted Sunday for a long time and I didnt see any fox grapes to amount to anything. Tons of vines, almost no grapes. Someone on here said he'd seen plenty I wonder what elevation he was at? I was between 2500' to 3500'. Didnt bring my binocs so I couldnt tell much about acorns couldnt see them with the naked eye and only found one early dropped red oak acorn on the ground. This place was absolutely torn up with hog sign from top to bottom. I did find an old pile of bear scat as big around as a dinner plate!

Hey Ripple, I've been seeing muscadine vines absolutely slap loaded in several places this year, but low down. Anywhere 1,400'-2,000' +-. I have seen vines slap hanging heavy with fruit. Unfortunately, these are not in places that I hunt, so they don't matter much to me.

I did find a place on Wilson Shoals WMA that I am going to sit on a few times. It is a persimmon tree loaded with fruit, and already aborting some, and it is dead in the middle of a stand of pine trees that are covered in muscadine vines, and they also are loaded and dropping a few early. It's low...around 1,200' maybe. Could be a little more or less. Never looked at it on a map. That place deserves a good sit or two I'd say. Ain't gonna kill no hear there, but the deer and yotes might be interested.

Panther25

I scouted Sunday for a long time and I didnt see any fox grapes to amount to anything. Tons of vines, almost no grapes. Someone on here said he'd seen plenty I wonder what elevation he was at? I was between 2500' to 3500'. Didnt bring my binocs so I couldnt tell much about acorns couldnt see them with the naked eye and only found one early dropped red oak acorn on the ground. This place was absolutely torn up with hog sign from top to bottom. I did find an old pile of bear scat as big around as a dinner plate!

The place I saw the fox grapes was around 3000', and there were a good many on the same vines last year.

GT Whitetail

I scouted 2200 - 3800 ft on a 10 mile hike and didn't see near as much sign as I was hoping for. Is it too early to find climbing sign? Didn't have my binos to check the tops of the whiteoaks but, checked areas that had a lot of sign in previous years. Found 1 pile of scat and what I thought might have been a marking tree.

Timberman

Took a walk yesterday between 2500' and 3000'. Found a good number of marked trees, well worn trails and dug up yellow jacket nests. Found one chestnut oak that had been climbed with broken hulls, limbs and acorns strewn around. I think I could kill a bear in there but getting it out will be something else!

Attachments

• marked tree.jpg
    marked tree.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 677

jbogg

I scouted 2200 - 3800 ft on a 10 mile hike and didn't see near as much sign as I was hoping for. Is it too early to find climbing sign? Didn't have my binos to check the tops of the whiteoaks but, checked areas that had a lot of sign in previous years. Found 1 pile of scat and what I thought might have been a marking tree.

The first white oak I found last year with fresh climbing sign was August 25th. Some of the Red Oaks and Chestnut Oaks seem fairly far along this year so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there were some trees already being climbed.

Killer Kyle

There is already a little climbing going on. Not a lot, but a little. I have been finding places where squirrels have been cutting down red oak acorns and eating them, and a few days ago, I found a white oak where squirrels had been cutting down and eating acorns.
The days are getting shorter, and opening day draws nigh. The anticipation is killing me!

Timberman

It was the only climbing tree i found in over 5 miles of prime country. The bears are there just not in the oaks yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 730

ddd-shooter

Got out yesterday, oaks looking good. Decent size, decent number.
Chestnuts around 2200-2400 were starting to brown, so white oaks won't be too much further behind.

CornStalker

Has anyone scouted Chattahoochee in the last week or planning to go this weekend? Jbogg, kyle?

I'm hoping the crop won't be as big as last year. I feel like we've had a bumper crop for 3-4 years straight...

Buckman18

I have. And went with the Killer one day also. Looks like there are gonna be several red oaks. There's a few white oaks, but many are faulty.

jbogg

As Buckman said the white oaks are spotty. I haven't found any trees that are loaded. Most of the acorns are up high in the crowns of the trees. I have seen some Reds that are slap loaded. Should be a good year.

CornStalker

As Buckman said the white oaks are spotty. I haven't found any trees that are loaded. Most of the acorns are up high in the crowns of the trees. I have seen some Reds that are slap loaded. Should be a good year.

Nice! :clap:

Let's hope the trees that do have them will be magnets.

Killer Kyle

Let's all be cautious though! I am thinking over the last few years on the acorn reports here. I don't remember if it was last year or the one before, but we had lots of reports of spotty crops, and ended up with bumper crops. I'll have to dig through the threads to remind me which year it was. The crop can fool the naked eye. I say prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.
With several reports of spotty crops here, it might be wise to cover a lot of ground in your usual spots early on to confirm! I have seen quite a lot of white oak acorns on the ground over the last few weeks. Seems to be the work of squirrels. I am anxious to see what the drop is going to shape up to be two weeks from now!

tree cutter 08

Let's all be cautious though! I am thinking over the last few years on the acorn reports here. I don't remember if it was last year or the one before, but we had lots of reports of spotty crops, and ended up with bumper crops. I'll have to dig through the threads to remind me which year it was. The crop can fool the naked eye. I say prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.
With several reports of spotty crops here, it might be wise to cover a lot of ground in your usual spots early on to confirm! I have seen quite a lot of white oak acorns on the ground over the last few weeks. Seems to be the work of squirrels. I am anxious to see what the drop is going to shape up to be two weeks from now!
Yea, I've been going back and forth myself all summer. While I don't think its going to be a bumper crop there are acorns that you can't see. They are in the crown and very hard to see. I cut several whites the other day that I looked over pretty good and only seen a few till they hit the ground. ALOT more than I thought. Time will tell.

josh chatham

Scouted a little bit this week. Found a few white oaks falling already (may have been the wind a few days ago...) but every place the acorns had fallen had a ton of sign! Deer and bear.

Triton Mike

I have never seen more green white oak acorns on the ground in my life. I don't know if they are just slap loaded and the limbs can't take anymore or why so many green ones are falling. I know green acorns hit the ground but I mean literally covered up with green white oaks. Anyone else?

The mtn man

I have never seen more green white oak acorns on the ground in my life. I don't know if they are just slap loaded and the limbs can't take anymore or why so many green ones are falling. I know green acorns hit the ground but I mean literally covered up with green white oaks. Anyone else?

I'm seeing a normal amount.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member

I'm seeing a normal amount.

Just wait until the rain and winds from Irma pass through here. I'd say the acorns are fixing to fall en masse.

AustinB

Yesterday around 3600' there were lots of red oaks both on the ground and in the trees. All the white oaks seem to be already on the ground with very few left in the trees. Lots of miles walked and only found two trees bears have climbed.