Summit Open Shot Climber

Bowhunter Matt

i hunt with the summit cobra which is the older version of the open shot its a little bit bigger but i love it. wouldn't hunt out of any other stand.

treehugger49

i hunt with the summit cobra which is the older version of the open shot its a little bit bigger but i love it. wouldn't hunt out of any other stand.

I bought a Cobra top section to go with my Viper stand years ago when I got serious about bow hunting. It didn't take long for me to use the Cobra exclusively, gun or bow.

Apex Predator

I bought a Summitt Razor a few years ago, and it was a nice stand, but not quite what I needed. It was a decent trad bow hunting stand with the sit and climb bar that would fold away. It also served well for a rifle stand, but not perfect. I found adjusting the bar a pain. I wanted more freedom of shooting out of a bow stand, and a permanent sit bar for a rifle stand.

After some research, I found that the Razor, Viper, Blade SD, Dagger SD, and Goliath climbers all used the same bottom section. I really wanted an Open Shot top section for bowhunting, but the bottom section that comes with the Open Shot is 20" wide by 24 3/4" long, which was too small for me. I ended up buying just the top from Summitt, and using the bottom section from my Razor which measures 20" wide by 28 3/4" long. Perfect bowhunting stand! I sold the top section of my Razor and bought a Goliath top section and an Open Shot top section. Now I have two stands in one! The perfect bow stand and the perfect rifle stand. I've heard that Summitt will sell any combo that you want.

Here is how I have modified the Open Shot. She comes with a very comfortable cushion and an open frame underneath. I found the cushion would slide around some and fall through the hole. I remedied that with a piece of 3/16" ABS plastic. I thin piece of plywood would serve well here.

Viper-Shot3.jpg

Viper-Shot4.jpg

I then stuck a piece of industrial velcro on each side where the seat contacts in the lower position.

Viper-Shot7.jpg

I climb with my forearms resting on the cushion, while griping these 45 deg braces near the rear of the stand. I cut lengths of broom stick down the center, and wrapped some cord over them to make comfortable grips.

Viper-Shot8.jpg

I like a pull rope that stays attached to the stand. I came up with this cleat system made out of a piece of marine starboard scrap.

Viper-Shot6.jpg

Viper-Shot5.jpg

Any hand climber requires a little more work in climbing, but if a fat guy like me can do it, most others should be able to manage. I'm 5' 10" and weigh 240! My abs are sore after making a couple of climbs, but the effort is well worth it for me. I always plan to start a month before the season making a couple of climbs in my backyard each morning to "get in shape", but It never works out! :)

Viper-Shot2.jpg

Viper-Shot1.jpg

A couple of military surplus A.L.I.C.E. pack straps make carrying it a breeze!

Bowhunter Matt

great idea for the rope! i have a bow holder on the left sife of mine and a quiver hold on the right side. i wrap my rope around the bottom of the stand. if i think about it tomorrow i'll take some pictures of it and post them.

undertaker84

Do yourself a favor and go by a can of the truck bedliner stuff. Paint the base, not only will help cut your noise and also better traction when standing.

Mike7474

Open Shot

Here is my Open Shot that I recently purchased. I used a foam tube to wrap the top in order to make it easier on my arms when climbing. I simply zip tied them and then wrapped them with duct tape. I then proceeded to add a quiver bracket and bow holder to the bottom. I also invested in the extended foot rest which helps A LOT.

Attachments

• stand4.jpg
    stand4.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 2,408

Rabbit

I've got the version of this stand with the curved armrests and seat with the backrest...I think it's called the Bushmaster. I wouldn't trade this stand for anything. I've mounted a rope holder to the top and bow holder to the bottom. Cabela's has this one listed for $199 in their 2012 Archery Catalogue.

$150 was a great deal for yours...good luck this season with it.:clap:

1bohunter

I've got the version of this stand with the curved armrests and seat with the backrest...I think it's called the Bushmaster. I wouldn't trade this stand for anything. I've mounted a rope holder to the top and bow holder to the bottom. Cabela's has this one listed for $199 in their 2012 Archery Catalogue.

$150 was a great deal for yours...good luck this season with it.:clap:

^^^ post pic of rope holder and bow holder if u can

BeanTrain

I've got an open shot. I ate a few to many steaks and drank a few to many adult beverages. it's not as comfortable as used to be. I'm all salads until October.

Rabbit

Does Summit make a climber that can be used with or without the rail? Im looking at getting a new climber, and always liked Summit. The climber I use now can be used with or without the rail. Thats a feature I really like. I would like to find one with the same If possible.

Summit used to make a stand called the Python which had a hinged shooting rail / foot rest. You could also sit on it while climbing the tree. Some jack*** stole mine out of the back of my truck at a c-store on the way to Ohio several years ago. I'd love to have another one but they don't make them anymore.

Rabbit

This is the stand I have now but with the full seat with backrest.

Attachments

• Summit Bushmaster.jpg
    Summit Bushmaster.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,179