Trophy radishes-who planted and results?

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
We planted them in a couple plots this year as a test, mixed with some cereal grains. They did great, the deer loved them, liked them more than the Dwarf essex rape we normally add to our fall mixes, plan on planting more this fall.

Did any of you guys notice them eating the radishes at all?

We did. Most of them were eatin entirely. The ones that remained were pulled up and had several bite marks in em. Like you, they hardly touched our rape til late season. Don't think we'll be plantin rape again(and we have always had them hit it hard in past plantings). Think the TR's is the way to go and they produce 10X the food.

Sterlo58

We planted them on about 3 acres between two plots and in late december thru february the deer destroyed them. It looked like goats had been grazin.

Seems like I read that you don't want to plant them every year but rotate years.

BornToHuntAndFish

Thanks for all the good feedback. If I get a chance to plant a late season food plot, I definitely want to try TR's.

BREAK'N WINGS

So what are they eatin during most of the season........Seeing they dont touch'm till a good frost hits'm As big as they look, it looks like they would drowned out wheat or rye if you mixed it.

redka

So what are they eatin during most of the season........Seeing they dont touch'm till a good frost hits'm As big as they look, it looks like they would drowned out wheat or rye if you mixed it.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like one would have to be careful to not apply to heavy if there are other plants in the same plot. Or just plant them next to other stuff.

BREAK'N WINGS

The key to a good foodplot that actually does something for the deer.......starts with the dirt. Gotta get the dirt right. Each grain or plant requires a certain amount of nutrient, and each is also different.

Gadget

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like one would have to be careful to not apply to heavy if there are other plants in the same plot. Or just plant them next to other stuff.

Yes you have to be very careful not to overseed with this stuff, it's one of the more aggressive/high output brassicas I've ever planted. Plant it too thick and it will choke out your other seeds and cause disease...... fungus etc.

We planted ours in early september and the deer started eating it right away, not real heavy, but then they destroyed it in the cold months.

killa86

I planted a small area they were wiped out not to the success that my family had with them . mixed mine with durana clover. now have a great clover stand. high protein for the spring and summer

Rob

The plot grew well but the deer did not eat them in my plot. The actual radishes were huge.

BIGSteve

OK guys,you got me thinking about planting some trophy radishes,but I have two questions.(1)Are these a spring planting or fall,(2)What kind of protien yield do they have?:confused:

Gadget

OK guys,you got me thinking about planting some trophy radishes,but I have two questions.(1)Are these a spring planting or fall,(2)What kind of protien yield do they have?:confused:

Fall

Don't know how much protein.

BornToHuntAndFish

Here's details about the protein content::bounce:

http://www.trophyradishes.com/benefits.php

Trophy Radishesâ„¢ for Deer

* Greens (Brassica family) with over 20% protein in December. Deer love them!
* Deer also eat radish root (23% protein).
* Fast germination & growth inhibits weeds.
* Large deep taproot breaks up compaction & brings up deep minerals to the soil surface for antler growth.
* Radishes winter kill, adding tons of organic matter to the soil.
* 5lb plants ½ acre or mixes with clover & small grains to plant 1 acre.

Net Wt. 5 lbs.
Lot # WSO-8-2
Germ. 90%
Pure Seed 99.82%
Other Crop Seed 0.0%
Inert Matter 0.18%
Weed Seed 0.0%
No noxious weed seeds found.
Test Date 5/09

Statement of Authenticity

I am sure that people will be disappointed by most other Daikon radish varieties. There are many varieties of Daikon radishes. Trophy Radishesâ„¢ were developed from a tillage variety with large root and top growth. It is the only Daikon radish that has been planted for deer and proven effective in deer consumption trials in 2008 in GA and NY. Other tillage radishes are untested and unproven for deer, many also have a much smaller root. Most Daikon radish varieties are oilseed radishes genetically altered for seed production with reduced root and top growth. If you plant oilseed Daikons, you will be disappointed by the lack of root growth and size compared to Trophy Radishesâ„¢!

There is no substitute on the market equal to Trophy Radishesâ„¢ for deer. I don't care what the seed dealers tell you!

Sincerely,
Kent Kammermeyer
Certified Wildlife Biologist

BornToHuntAndFish

FYI, in case you did not know . . . . .

http://www.trophyradishes.com/research.php

Research by Dr. Ray Weil at the University of Maryland shows dry matter production of 5,000 lbs/acre for top growth (shoots and leaves) plus another 2,000 lbs/acre of root dry matter production. This is higher than rape, kale and turnips!

BornToHuntAndFish

From the GON article on Trophy Radishes with good info on rich nutrients good for deer antler growth:

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=2076

Trophy Radishes Creating New Food-Plot Buzz

These large, Oriental radishes are high in nutrition and benefit the soil.

By Kent Kammermeyer & Tommy Hunter

Originally published in the August 2009 issue of GON

. . . . . . .

Radishes should be planted by late August in the North and early to mid-September in the South. Do not attempt to grow them in the spring as they will rush to bloom and go to seed and results will be disappointing.

Incidentally, they are also good in stir fry or raw with a crispy, crunchy texture and mild sweet flavor. They are great in salads and very nutritious, especially high in calcium, phosphorus and iron. But best of all, deer love ’em.

http://www.cooperseeds.com/pages/deer/fwindividual.html

Trophy Radishes

NEW! NEW! NEW!
Trophy Radishes are here!!!!!

*Greens (Brassica family) with over 20% protein in December. Deer love them!
*Deer also eat radish root (23% protein).
*Fast germination and growth inhibits weeds.
*Large deep taproot brakes up compaction and brings up deep minerals to the soil surface for antler growth.
*Radishes winter kill, adding tons of organic matter to the soil.
*5 Lbs. plants 1/2 acre or mixes with clover and small grains to plant 1 acre.

Planting Guide:
1. Prepare smooth weedless seedbed.
2. Apply fertilizer by soil test or use 300 Lbs./acre of 19-19-19.
3. Broadcast 10 Lbs./acre radish seed alone or 5 Lbs./acre mixed with clover or small grains.
4. Cultipack or drag for good seed/soil contact. Do not cover seed more than 1/2 inch deep.
5. Radishes germinate a few days after rain.

5 Lb. bag. $29.95

AVAILABLE AUGUST 2010

easbell

Planted an acre and the deer ate them but only after frost. I was needing something for the deer prior to frost and was told the deer would hit them after 3 weeks. This is not what happened with me.

I still have a bag I would be willing to sell if someone wants to try them.

EastALHunter

Before anybody buys that bag....

Planted an acre and the deer ate them but only after frost. I was needing something for the deer prior to frost and was told the deer would hit them after 3 weeks. This is not what happened with me.

I still have a bag I would be willing to sell if someone wants to try them.

send me a private message. It will be worth your time.