TULA Small Rifle Magnum Primers

Clarke123

Anyone have actual experience using the TULA Small Rifle Magnum Primer (KVB556M) in their 5.56 / .223 loads?

The obvious reason for the question is that they are very reasonably priced, are supposed to be a CCI #41 "look-alike" ... etc.

Please, I know that everyone has an opinion, but I (as well as others) would greatly appreciate letting actual experience rather than opinion speak on this!

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
They should be the same as Wolf primers, I would think. All of that stuff, including the Wolf, Brown Bear, and Tula loaded ammo is made in the Tula factory.

I've used almost a thousand Wolf primers now. I had 3 of them fail to ignite with good primer strikes in the first 100 pack that I used, but not a single failure since then. Go figure. They have been very consistent as far as ignition from what I can tell....the ammo that I used them on is very consistent velocity-wise. I'd have to say that overall, despite a sort of rocky start, I'm happy with them.

I know cmshoot uses Wolf primers and seems to like them.

The only way you're going to really know whether you like them or not is to buy some and try them.

Clarke123

They should be the same as Wolf primers, I would think. All of that stuff, including the Wolf, Brown Bear, and Tula loaded ammo is made in the Tula factory.

I've used almost a thousand Wolf primers now. I had 3 of them fail to ignite with good primer strikes in the first 100 pack that I used, but not a single failure since then. Go figure. They have been very consistent as far as ignition from what I can tell....the ammo that I used them on is very consistent velocity-wise. I'd have to say that overall, despite a sort of rocky start, I'm happy with them.

I know cmshoot uses Wolf primers and seems to like them.

The only way you're going to really know whether you like them or not is to buy some and try them.

Other than the obvious preferences that anyone will / can have, all that I have read has been more than positive. The primary confusion with most (including me) is the "magnum" designation which I understand is nothing more than the Russian's opinion of the cup thickness (thicker to prevent "slam" fires). Other than that, the posted Crono results have show them to be about 50 FPS faster than CCI Small Rifle Primers. However, being who I am, I want to hear from people that I know!

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Other than the obvious preferences that anyone will / can have, all that I have read has been more than positive. The primary confusion with most (including me) is the "magnum" designation which I understand is nothing more than the Russian's opinion of the cup thickness (thicker to prevent "slam" fires). Other than that, the posted Crono results have show them to be about 50 FPS faster than CCI Small Rifle Primers. However, being who I am, I want to hear from people that I know!

Yeah, I'm not sure about the magnum designation.

chuckdog

Remington does the same thing. Their .223 stuff is loaded with #7 1/2 vs the 6 1/2 in their other small rifle offerings due to higher pressures used in 5.56 velocity rounds.

I sub CCI 450's for the 41's in my 6.8 loads. I'm more concerned with reliable ignition using the lighter springs in my varmint rifles. I don't load any to the higher pressures some do. I haven't used anything but Winchester WSR standard small rifles for my varmint loads.

I recently ordered 4K of the Wolf ".223 designated" primers to round out my last powder order. I hope they work well! ::;

As long as they go bang and aren't corrosive they should be fine for my intended use, 55-62 grain plinking rounds for the M4 clones.

Your pick up in velocity is about what I got between standard and magnum primers on the .308 with ball type (Accurate 2520) powder too.

The price difference is enough to make me give em' a whirl too.

Clarke123

As long as they go bang and aren't corrosive they should be fine for my intended use, 55-62 grain plinking rounds for the M4 clones.

The price difference is enough to make me give em' a whirl too.

Thanks CD, that's my intended use as well. Typically, I don't load for MAX as it normally uses too much time and components to be worth it. I would rather focus on "reliable" & "safe" as well as acceptable accuracy for my "fun" shooting!

guess a little later on we will both have some experiences to share regarding these inexpensive primers!

jglenn

we've used the wolf primers for many 5.56 loads without issue.

RamblinWreck

The Russian small rifle mag primers are actually becoming one of the "preferred" primers for Highpower service rifle competition. My tests have shown they give very consistent velocity, and I know some really hard shooters getting awesome 600 yard scores using them. These are usually fairly stiff loads using the Sierra 77 and 80 GN MatchKings. I've shot a bunch of them and they shoot great. I also like them because they seem to be a tiny bit "fatter" and fit tighter, especially useful on multi-fired cases where the primer pocket has loosened up some, but the case is otherwise fine.

I would definitely not use the non-magnum version of this primer - I bought some by mistake, and got pierced primers with what I consider mild practice loads in my AR15 service rifle. Had to replace my firing pin, as a pierced primer usually ruins it and causes more piercing. I have 3 bricks of them left I will probably just discard.

PS a lot of service rifle shooters also use the CCI BR4, which is not a magnum primer but I've never seen one pierce or fail. I witnessed two different slam fires in AR15 that happened when single loading and tripping the bolt release, but in both cases it was caused by a high (not fully seated) primer. Both times it blew the bottom out of the magazine and scared the crap out of the shooter, but other wise there was no damage.

Good primers! I stocked up and have several cases of them. I also like the LR magnum for long-range loads; they give very good ES on the chrono.

Clarke123

The Russian small rifle mag primers are actually becoming one of the "preferred" primers for Highpower service rifle competition. My tests have shown they give very consistent velocity, and I know some really hard shooters getting awesome 600 yard scores using them. These are usually fairly stiff loads using the Sierra 77 and 80 GN MatchKings. I've shot a bunch of them and they shoot great. I also like them because they seem to be a tiny bit "fatter" and fit tighter, especially useful on multi-fired cases where the primer pocket has loosened up some, but the case is otherwise fine.

I would definitely not use the non-magnum version of this primer - I bought some by mistake, and got pierced primers with what I consider mild practice loads in my AR15 service rifle. Had to replace my firing pin, as a pierced primer usually ruins it and causes more piercing. I have 3 bricks of them left I will probably just discard.

PS a lot of service rifle shooters also use the CCI BR4, which is not a magnum primer but I've never seen one pierce or fail. I witnessed two different slam fires in AR15 that happened when single loading and tripping the bolt release, but in both cases it was caused by a high (not fully seated) primer. Both times it blew the bottom out of the magazine and scared the crap out of the shooter, but other wise there was no damage.

Good primers! I stocked up and have several cases of them. I also like the LR magnum for long-range loads; they give very good ES on the chrono.

Thank you to someone who appears to be an "Elephant Engineer" (this from both Tech and UGA Graduate).

Let's have coffee sometime ... the Starbucks across from "The Avenues" on 141, at your descretion.