Bausch & lomb scope repair.

leftystar

Bausch & lomb elite 4000 4x12x50 scope not holding a group. Took off a newer redfield scope that was giving me a dime size group at 100 yards. I know shouldn't have touch it but was wanting more zoom, hunting big fields and deer come out close to dark. With the b&L I can stay within a mason jar lid of each other but nothing like the redfield. Is their a need for repair or is it worth getting fixed. Believe those elite scopes were good scopes. scope rings are tight. had the same problem with the scope last year on a different gun. I'm pretty sure they sold out to bushnell and that is there elite line of scopes.

Gaswamp

contact bushnell

lonewolf247

They were some great scopes in their day! My brother still has one. Bushnell should take care of it for you.

wareagle700

If you are sure it’s the scope definitely contact Bushnell. They should still be covered under warranty. Just be aware they will likely replace it with a new model.

leftystar

If you are sure it’s the scope definitely contact Bushnell. They should still be covered under warranty. Just be aware they will likely replace it with a new model.

That would nice if they sent me a new elite. Probably send me a banner though.

wareagle700

I wouldn’t let them send you anything but an Elite 4500 or better. That’s what it would be most comparable to today. If they send you a banner I’d ask for the original scope back.

lonewolf247

I wouldn't settle for anything less than an Elite 4500 as well. However, the power range you mention, 4-12x50, I don't remember that scope being offered in that power range? I could be wrong though, it's been many years, so I'm not sure. It is a 4000 and not a 3000?

Regardless, if you have an Elite, I'd demand an Elite, of equal quality. Good luck!

leftystar

It's a 4000 they don't offer the exact replacement. but I would be alright with a 40mm if the replacement has a higher zoom in. if that's the correct terminology. In the elite series. I went back and looked its a 4x16x50 scope

Last edited:

rosewood

Every time I have had to have a scope replaced on a discontinued model, I have always been sent a better model. I imagine they will do the same for you. I have experienced this on 2 Simmons scopes, which are owned by Bushnell and you get the Bushnell department when you call in.

Rosewood

wareagle700

No, the warranty should be transferrable. Don't tell them that though, just in case.

rosewood

They never asked me for a receipt.

Why would a scope produced by Bausch & Lomb was ever bought out by Bushnell and also made years before the new warranty Bushnell offers on their scopes be valid by that warranty? The parallax is trashed on it and while excellent in it's day the scope cannot compare favorably with more modern scopes and coatings.

wareagle700

Why would a scope produced by Bausch & Lomb was ever bought out by Bushnell and also made years before the new warranty Bushnell offers on their scopes be valid by that warranty? The parallax is trashed on it and while excellent in it's day the scope cannot compare favorably with more modern scopes and coatings.

Once repaired or replaced it will be. They have always been a Bushnell product even though the company has changed hands a few times.

The Elite 4xxx series scopes have always performed well for me. Better than others in that price range.

I've owned several Bushnell Elite scopes, both 4200 and 3200. I just sold an Elite 4200 today on GON marketplace, as a matter of fact. Far as I know, not many B&L scopes even had Rain Guard (if any?) coatings. All B&L products are at least 10-15 years old now and their coatings cannot compete with quality scopes made today. I'll not argue that they were excellent scopes then, but they are not as good with coatings, contrast or low light as good scopes today.

wareagle700

Yeah the coatings wouldn't be up to date but thats far down the list of priorities on what I think makes up a quality rifle scope, especially in that price range. The glass in a B&L will be good enough for most any hunting situation. Overall durability, holding zero, and tracking are more important features that I like to take into consideration. In those areas, Bushnell and B&L have been great.

lonewolf247

To my knowledge, the “elite” scopes made their depute as Bausch & Lomb, a division under the parent company of Bushnell. At some point, Bausch & Lomb was dropped, and the the B & L Elite 3000; and 4000, became the Busnell Elite 3200, and 4200, which added the addition of rain guard, and the option of the Firefly reticle.

Bausch and Lomb Elites carried a forever warranty.

leftystar

I paid for $200 for the scope I think is a even deal. But if they send me a new 4x16x50 elite I've made out like a bandit.