GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 PM

Man I love posting here! So much passion for guns....its almost like somone's moma got slapped.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Top Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTY View Post
Man I love posting here! So much passion for guns....its almost like somone's moma got slapped.
Roger that.

We bicker a lot, but in the overall scheme of things we are on the same page.

As far as the pics offered by the OP: I'm in favor of the Browining Eclipse....with WITHOUT the B.O.S.S.. I suppose you can put the non ported piece on there...but I rather have the full length with rifled tube...not some weight. To each his own.

If I were actually going to set up a store bought factory rifle for long range hunting, I'd be giving the Remington Sendero line a long hard look.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointduck View Post
I have a gun shop.Top that.Do gunsmithing work. I don't need someone to do it for me. I cannot price a Ruger 77 at the same price as a A-bolt, it will not sell. Most parts on a Ruger are investment cast, which are machined to fit. Only smaller parts are machined out right. I'm not going to argue with you. Ive been in this game way too long. The 77 mk 2 had the worst accuracy in the business.There barrels were not even made in house and that lawyer trigger it had, good grief. The Hawkeye is a great improvement over the later gun which I would own one in a heartbeat. They got that one right. As for the #1, People are correct when they say it is finicky, but I still like them....sorry for the derail and will not get off topic again.
I happen to own and shoot several MKIIs....which all have Ruger made barrels except my 338-06 which has a Shilen....I haven't found a target or animal that they won't hit yet....as for groups...they all will shoot under 1 inch.

A few....

Bruz
Old 01-05-2011, 06:03 PM

I've seen several Ruger No. 1's and they are very nice rifles. When one is dialed in and on, it's a sweet thing. When one has accuracy problems, they are a sonuvagun.

I'd pick the bolt gun just because they are generally more likely to be consistent and are easier to tune if you do get one that isn't super accurate out of the box. I don't have an A-bolt, but I've got a Sako that uses a three lug bolt and is super smooth. Combine that with that short bolt lift and they are super sweet for a fast follow-up if needed.